Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

Dometic dual zone question

Got a 2016 palomino 318tsbhk. Last year was our first full summer using it. This has 2 AC units with a domestic dual zone thermostat mounted on the wall just as you walk through the door. The unit in the main living area seems to be ok. The other unit is in the master bedroom. It cools ok, but my main issue is when the unit runs at night. The fan is very loud and wakes you up every time it cycles On and off, which is every few minutes. Does anyone know where the thermostat reads the temp from? I'm assuming the living area reads at the thermostat itself. Both units feel like they need to be topped off, but that's another subject. I'm wondering if the temperature sensor needs to be moved. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #2

Look for a small black sensor, about the size of a quarter on a wall, ours is near the bedroom door.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #3

I found what is probably the sensor on an opposite wall. I saw in another post people recommend insulating between the wall and the thermostat / sensor so I may try that. Any ideas on how to make the fan quieter ? I feel like I may just have to live with it.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikman View Post
I found what is probably the sensor on an opposite wall. I saw in another post people recommend insulating between the wall and the thermostat / sensor so I may try that. Any ideas on how to make the fan quieter ? I feel like I may just have to live with it.
you do have to put up with the noise. We only have 1 AC in the living area. We place a fan in the open bedroom doorway. Nice and cool and no noise.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #5

Can relate to your fan noise, after a month we now sleep thru it. Regarding your temperature of the cold air, take a temperature reading if you get an 18 to 20 degree difference between the inside air temperature and the air coming out of you vent your units are operating ok. Will be colder if both are running.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

If the fan going on and off is what’s waking you up, you might try setting the fan to manual mode and just letting it run continuously at night. By the way, on the “topping off” the units thing, they are a closed system and you can’t add refrigerant. When they lose it, tgeunit has to be replaced. I’ve heard several folks that had the valves added to allow recharging and wound up spending the cost of a whole new unit just for that work.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikman View Post
Got a 2016 palomino 318tsbhk. Last year was our first full summer using it. This has 2 AC units with a domestic dual zone thermostat mounted on the wall just as you walk through the door. The unit in the main living area seems to be ok. The other unit is in the master bedroom. It cools ok, but my main issue is when the unit runs at night. The fan is very loud and wakes you up every time it cycles On and off, which is every few minutes. Does anyone know where the thermostat reads the temp from? I'm assuming the living area reads at the thermostat itself. Both units feel like they need to be topped off, but that's another subject. I'm wondering if the temperature sensor needs to be moved. Anybody have any suggestions?
I can appreciate not wanting the noise at night. What if you just run the living room unit (it too is probably too noisy in the dead of night) and either just leave the bedroom door open and let natural circulation do its thing and/or as above, use a fan to push some cool air up to the BR.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

Domestic dual zone air conditioning

Our 5er has dual zone. Zone one living area uses the 15k Btu air conditioner mounted over bedroom. Zone two bedroom uses 13k btu air conditioner mounted over living area. Took us a while to figure it out. Propaganda sheet with RV said Dual Zone Quiet Air Conditioned. Had to get on roof pull shrouds off both air conditioners to see BTUs. Dealer was clueless as to which air conditioner was linked to what zone, only that there's two air conditioners and two zones. So you need to see which zone is living area and which is bedroom. Zone numbers may not match. Our zone one uses thermostat, zone two uses quarter size sensor on bedroom wall.
7mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:37 AM   #9
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mike View Post
Our 5er has dual zone. Zone one living area uses the 15k Btu air conditioner mounted over bedroom. Zone two bedroom uses 13k btu air conditioner mounted over living area. Took us a while to figure it out. Propaganda sheet with RV said Dual Zone Quiet Air Conditioned. Had to get on roof pull shrouds off both air conditioners to see BTUs. Dealer was clueless as to which air conditioner was linked to what zone, only that there's two air conditioners and two zones. So you need to see which zone is living area and which is bedroom. Zone numbers may not match. Our zone one uses thermostat, zone two uses quarter size sensor on bedroom wall.
I don't have that trouble. One unit, one switch.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:51 AM   #10
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mike View Post
Ours is the same. Zone 1 is living area and zone 2 bedroom. I found that both air conditioners send air to both zones. You can turn off your bedroom and you will still get cool air if using living room a/c only. No noise while sleeping. The fan also has 3 settings, hi, lo, and auto. Might try lo.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic