Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Door shocked me

We were camping this weekend and our bathroom gfci kept tripping and then would not reset. It wasn’t until we got home that I learned that the door was charged and it shocked my daughter and tripped the gfi. I have looked under the camper and around to see if I can find any exposed wires or wires that were not grounded. We also noticed that our awning lights would flicker and not turn on this last trip. The only thing I did was replace the fire extinguisher and mounting plate using the same screws and holes. Sooooo where do I start? 2018 Wildwood x-lite 261bhxl
vlmartinez923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #2

First thing I would do is check your source. ...where you have your rv cord plugged into
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #3

It’s was plugged in to the camp site shore power 30amp and then in to my home with a regular 120 plug in but don’t run the ac
Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

Try checking the connections where the power cord enters panel.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmartinez923 View Post
We were camping this weekend and our bathroom gfci kept tripping and then would not reset. It wasn’t until we got home that I learned that the door was charged and it shocked my daughter and tripped the gfi. I have looked under the camper and around to see if I can find any exposed wires or wires that were not grounded. We also noticed that our awning lights would flicker and not turn on this last trip. The only thing I did was replace the fire extinguisher and mounting plate using the same screws and holes. Sooooo where do I start?

We need a few more details;

1- Was the camper plugged into power at the campground or were you boondocking?

2- How old, make, model of the TT may help, (someone else may have the same model).

3- Are you now plugged in to power at home now?

If you're not plugged in at home, can you? Then, try to reset the GFCI & with a multimeter, test the door jamb again.

If the test checkout OK, then there most likely was a bad ground at the campground pedestal.

This may be a good time to invest in a good surge/circuit protector.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmartinez923 View Post
The only thing I did was replace the fire extinguisher and mounting plate using the same screws and holes. Sooooo where do I start? 2018 Wildwood x-lite 261bhxl
Was that fire extinguisher mounted near the door? Try taking it off ( no matter where it is located) and see if that solves the problem. It's possible that the screws came in contact with wires and created a short. (A slim possibility, but and easy check.) Get a flashlight and see what's behind those screw holes.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Was that fire extinguisher mounted near the door? Try taking it off ( no matter where it is located) and see if that solves the problem. It's possible that the screws came in contact with wires and created a short. (A slim possibility, but and easy check.) Get a flashlight and see what's behind those screw holes.
Ditto. I always check the last thing I changed.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #8

Yes it is and I did take it off and still doing it
Old 09-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #9

2018 Wildwood x-lite 261bhxl and plugged it in at home and doing the same
Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #10

You've obviously got a short somewhere. The easiest to check would be disconnecting the battery, then turning off circuit breakers, fuses, etc. Might be that awning or its lights that were flickering.

Since your rig is probably under warranty, you might need to take it in for some diagnostic work.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #11

Get a piece of wire long enough to reach the door and a known good ground on the electrical system. Check the voltage from the door to the ground. If it is over 14 volts it's probably an AC problem. I suspect it is because a 12 volt will not give you a shock unless you are REALLY grounded like across the terminals of a battery with wet hands.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #12

No warranty went out in July
Old 09-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #13

If you can get a reading on a meter you can start turning off one breaker at a time and the 12 volt to isolate the problem. Once you know what circuit you should be able to hunt it down. First check your power at the trailer end of the power cord. Last thing to check since it will be a little more difficult would be the wiring and breaker panel.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #14

Test as mwdilday recommends above, one circuit at a time. When the GFCI trips does the short still exist, or does this cure the problem? If so then the short is downstream from the GFCI.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #15

If you have your ground energized it could cause the GFCI to trip.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Stop everything!!!

First off, STOP!!!

What you have is known as a 'hot skin' situation and is very dangerous.

There is a specific reason we have this thread listed as the very first sticky under our electrical section:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-rv-89191.html

Simply because it is a very dangerous, very life threatening situation. I highly recommend you read though that thread, and all the related linked information before you do anything further. You can also reach out to forum member jmsokol. He is Mike Sokol of the No Shock Zone and is recognized as an expert in this situation:

Are "Little" Shocks OK? | No~Shock~Zone
Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks Kaadk. I was looking for a youtube video that explains all of this as well.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

I had a "Hot Skin" and tracked it down to a neutral wire behind the 30 amp socket that was touching the ground terminal. Everything "worked" as there was a path back to earth ground.

What causes the danger is that with wet feet or kneeling in grass while touching the camper, you make a MUCH better return path to ground than the Neutral and Safety ground.

Recipe for disaster...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door