Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #1

Easiest way to get parts

It seems like getting parts for my Forest River Travel Trailer is an act of Congress! Is it really this hard to get parts? Call dealer, dealer has to email Forest River to get part number, one week later they email you back with price? Is there any online website to order parts directly and bypass all this process?
Keith3679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3679 View Post
It seems like getting parts for my Forest River Travel Trailer is an act of Congress! Is it really this hard to get parts? Call dealer, dealer has to email Forest River to get part number, one week later they email you back with price? Is there any online website to order parts directly and bypass all this process?

Bear in mind that there are very few things that Forest River actually makes. They are an "assembler" more than a manufacturer. They buy most of their components pre-made from other vendors (like refrigerators or toilets) and simply put everything together. Its pretty easy to find parts outside of FR if you want to take a few minutes to search for them. Probably 90% of what you would want is available online from places like PPL LINK or others. I can't remember who it is from, but I have a catalog at home that has just about everything down to doors, windows, suspension, you name it.

What exactly are you looking for and maybe I can help find it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

Tim,

That definitely seems to be the case since even the dealer mentioned that "Forest River may not have the part".

I have a Salem River Cruise Lite and I am looking for the little 10" x 12" screen for the window above the sink. I have attached picture of part number.

Any help in finding a replacement would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180625_192838.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	177324  
Old 06-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Broken Toe

Quote:
Tim,

That definitely seems to be the case since even the dealer mentioned that "Forest River may not have the part".

I have a Salem River Cruise Lite and I am looking for the little 10" x 12" screen for the window above the sink. I have attached picture of part number.

Any help in finding a replacement would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Keith
Is the screen material itself just bad, or do you need a whole new screen? The screen material is very easy to replace yourself.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Just the screen material. Do you think any window screen repair place could handle this?
Old 06-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Just the screen material. Do you think any window screen repair place could handle this?
Yes, easy fix.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
Broken Toe

Quote:
So easy, you can do it yourself... Here is a video on how to replace a home window screen.

Yours will be pretty much the same. The only tool you need is a spline roller for about $8 at your local hardware store and some new nylon screen material.

Give it a shot, it can't hurt to try!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 06-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascon View Post
Yes, easy fix.
The rubber bead (spline) on the perimeter of the screen is all that is holding the screen in place. Find the end of the spline and use something like a nut pick to dislodge an end, then remove the spline gripping it with your fingers. This can be reused if it carefully removed.

There is a simple and inexpensive tool to reinsert the spline into the track. The trick is to leave the replacement screen a bit loose so as not to distort the frame. As you work the screen, the spline can be pulled loose a bit if the screen is too tight or too loose and then pushed back in with the tool. There is no need to stretch the spline. Just feed it into the groove with your fingers and seat it with the tool. You also have to be careful to keep the tool on the spline. If it slips to the side of the finished side, it can cut the screen. Slow and deliberate is key. A box knife can be used to carefully remove the excess screen. I got a lot of practice re-screening two lanais and a pool cage after Hurricane Charlie.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Barton-K...FdHYwAod27sNig
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #9

Right, it is so easy, never knew. I called a local glass shop here in NH and they said they could do it in 20 minutes for $16. Don't even think I could buy the tools and materials for less than that. Thanks for the information everyone!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #10

May be something to do yourself or have screen shop fabricate.

Very few things that can't be bought direct. Someone made that window for FR and like my cabinet doors and windows shades, in one case, the makings offer help you find the manufacturer.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts