Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Engine oil question

I just had an oil and filter change and we are leaving tomorrow for St Augustine, FL. I have 25000 miles on the MH and all oil changes have been with a synthetic oil. I just noticed from the ticket that they did not use synthetic for this change. I plan on having them replace the oil when I get back and I think there will be no problem driving around 1000 miles on regular oil. Just looking for opinions.
Thanks
Dave
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

No problem whatsoever as long as it was a name brand oil that met specifications of your engine (which I'm sure it did).
Every one of the major oil manufacturers put out outstanding oil products these days and the chance of one oil having an adverse reaction with remnants of a previously used oil that met specs are non-existent.
I've been partial to Mobil 1 synthetic in all my gas engines for close to 20 years. I have torn down Harley engines (which are notoriously hot) that have been run exclusively with Mobil 1 and the cross hatch pattern in the cylinders still looks great after 50-60K miles with no appreciable wear on cam lobes or crankshaft.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #3

Wont hurt a thing . If your worried about it mixing with the left over synthetic no need to worry . All the oil company's sell a blend now as well which tells me you can mix them with out ill effects .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

They call that blend. I bought a Miata Mx5 new in 09 26,000 miles on it now and always had it serviced a dealer with Mobil 1. I took it to a new Mazda dealership that opened up closer to my home and emphasized Mobil 1, but telling by the price of the service I wasn't given I believe synthetic oil. The service writer probably new at her job didn't follow through. when confronted with the mgr they tried to BS me and tell me it was synthetic and it was a grand opening deal. Bottom line, the car runs fine and next month when I bring it in for service I'll stand on top of them and make sure I get what I want.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

They call it synthetic blend, but they don't specifically say what they blend it with.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #6

re

That's true, Ford has a blend with their trade mark on the can so you kind of have to believe it's a quality synthetic and dino blend if they're using at Ford dealerships.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
That's true, Ford has a blend with their trade mark on the can so you kind of have to believe it's a quality synthetic and dino blend if they're using at Ford dealerships.
That's all I have used in mine. Ford blend 5W/20. No problems in 86000 miles. Use Ford filters also.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #8

Synthetic oils are just that. Motor Oil that is manufactured rather than "refined" from crude. Formed in a factory rather than mixing products from the distillation process.

End result is a product that performs the same although with enhanced qualities like temperature resistance.

If the oil shares the same grade and service description, don't worry. FWIW, the time your engine is the easiest on it's motor oil is when driving on longer trips. It's hardest on the oil during stop/go, short trips, or just sitting.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote