RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #41
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
There are over 130 gas stations in Concord and only 1 supposedly has it? Don't let it bother you FT, I'm satisfied helping the corn farmers in IA.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,748
What, I'm confused. The government mandates CAFE fuel economy standards "to reduce engery consumption by increasing fuel economy..." yet adding ethenol to gasoline, decreases fuel economy, causing more fuel to be burned, damage to some smaller equipment, creating more polutants to arrive at your destination. But, how can this be, my government can't not know what its doing, that's impossible. Please tell me that since we now have more known oil reserves than saudi arabia Oil Exec Says US Has More Oil And Gas Than Saudi Arabia...In Alaska that we will come to our senses.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #43
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
I'm not familiar with the mandates, but in a way, adding ethanol can be viewed as improving 'fossil fuel' economy.

Let's say you get 10 mpg with regular gas. Running 10% ethanol you might be getting only 9.8 mpg. But, if you look at the 'fossil fuel' part, you got ~10.9 mpgs per gallon of fossil fuel. Thereby in fact lessening the reliance on non-renewable sources.

Just a way to twist the numbers...

Personally, I figure we drive trucks (or SUVs for some of ya'll) so a little hit or miss on MPGs aren't going to be a big deal. If I was really worried about how much gas I use, I'd go back to driving my 55 MPG Saturn SC1 instead of my 9 mpg Ram 1500.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I'm not familiar with the mandates, but in a way, adding ethanol can be viewed as improving 'fossil fuel' economy.

Let's say you get 10 mpg with regular gas. Running 10% ethanol you might be getting only 9.8 mpg. But, if you look at the 'fossil fuel' part, you got ~10.9 mpgs per gallon of fossil fuel. Thereby in fact lessening the reliance on non-renewable sources.

Just a way to twist the numbers...

Personally, I figure we drive trucks (or SUVs for some of ya'll) so a little hit or miss on MPGs aren't going to be a big deal. If I was really worried about how much gas I use, I'd go back to driving my 55 MPG Saturn SC1 instead of my 9 mpg Ram 1500.
How does the cost of repairs figure into this ? Lol

I just bought a $900.00 chainsaw from a guy for $255.00 .
ETHANOL!

ETHANOL ate at the glue which holds in the welch plugs on the carburetor.
Started sucking air and leaned out.
Boomd
STIHL has a service bulletin out on this issue.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #45
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
...STIHL has a service bulletin out on this issue.TURBS
Looks like STIHL needs to get with the program.

I know you won't believe this, but most folks don't have a bunch of chainsaws. I've got an Poulan that's 10 yrs old and it doesn't know anything but 10% ethanol. So, we just drive our old gassers using ethanol.

Been using ethanol blended since the late 70's when I got the first tank full in Knoxville, IA. So, in 35+ years I have not had a fuel problem. Burned 100% methanol in our race cars and never had a problem. I think most 2 cycle problems could be traced to folks not adding oil to the gas.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,280
IMHO, ethanol in gasoline has only 1 advantage. The days of gasoline "freezing" from water in the lines from a freshly filled tank are less now a days. Remember, we used to add "gas line antifreeze" to our gasoline in years past ?? It was different types of alcohol. Alcohol suspends the water particles in gas, so the water doesn't all settle to the bottom of the tank and freeze in the lines. We are adding "gas line antifreeze" every time we fill up.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #47
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
IMHO, ethanol in gasoline has only 1 advantage. The days of gasoline "freezing" from water in the lines from a freshly filled tank are less now a days. Remember, we used to add "gas line antifreeze" to our gasoline in years past ?? It was different types of alcohol. Alcohol suspends the water particles in gas, so the water doesn't all settle to the bottom of the tank and freeze in the lines. We are adding "gas line antifreeze" every time we fill up.
X2 and the only disadvantages are the price and lower mileage.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #48
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
How does the cost of repairs figure into this ? Lol

To the government causing you repairs is a good thing. They'd call it something like "stimulating the economy" but all it really does it let them charge you more sales tax by getting you to spend more.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Looks like STIHL needs to get with the program.

I know you won't believe this, but most folks don't have a bunch of chainsaws. I've got an Poulan that's 10 yrs old and it doesn't know anything but 10% ethanol. So, we just drive our old gassers using ethanol.

Been using ethanol blended since the late 70's when I got the first tank full in Knoxville, IA. So, in 35+ years I have not had a fuel problem. Burned 100% methanol in our race cars and never had a problem. I think most 2 cycle problems could be traced to folks not adding oil to the gas.
Worlds leading manufacturer of chainsaws "get with it"?

How did this world survive before without you?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
muddyrode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 620
i live in iowa the ethanol capital of the world i believe.
most everything is either 87 octain or 93 the big conveinient store caseys chain got rid of there 89 octain ethonal blend and went to 87 octain with a 87 non ethanol thats it , thats all they sell were i live and then there is E85- 85% ethnol, i would drop about 3.5 miles per gallon when i used it, it was ok when there was a $1.10 a gallon differance now its about 40 cents
now i don't have that problem bought a Diesel now we can get into the whole bio diesel thing
__________________
2016 SANDPIPER 35ROK
2013 Silverado Duramax 3500HD DRW LB

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
i live in iowa the ethanol capital of the world i believe.
most everything is either 87 octain or 93 the big conveinient store caseys chain got rid of there 89 octain ethonal blend and went to 87 octain with a 87 non ethanol thats it , thats all they sell were i live and then there is E85- 85% ethnol, i would drop about 3.5 miles per gallon when i used it, it was ok when there was a $1.10 a gallon differance now its about 40 cents
now i don't have that problem bought a Diesel now we can get into the whole bio diesel thing
You shouldn't buy from Casey's anyway .
Remember 9/11 when they jacked up the gas prices astronomically moments after hearing about a terrorist attack on the twin towers.
They got in big trouble for that.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
kerrlakelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 505
I hate ethanol. Like Turbs says, it's horrible on small engines. ALSO, per a chemist i talked with at Sta-bil, gas with ethanol has a lower boiling point than 100% gasoline. My 2001 ski boat (chevrolet v8 inboard) will vapor lock consistently if I run ethanol gas in it. I and many other inboard boat owners have to run 100% gas in it and ALWAYS use Sta-bil (or a gas stabilizer). Boat mechanic at the lake loves it...he's making a fortune going thru jet ski fuel systems because of ethanol.

OC, only place I can find it in my area of NC is around the lake where lots of folks request ethanol free gasoline.
__________________
North Carolina born and bred
2010 Sandpiper 345RET
2011 2500 Duramax Silverado
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Ethanol has one small benefit, if you get a slight amount of water in your system it will blend with it and run it through unnoticed.

However, if that water contaminated fuel is allowed to sit, you're in trouble. That's a large part of why we see the corrosion, ethanol absorbs water from the air, you run your small stuff, shut it down and come back six weeks later. Lots of damage, that water mix turns acidic, corrodes parts, softens plastic and rubber.

That's part of why so many don't have an issue with it everyday, so long as you're running it every day keeping it moving it's fine.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #54
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
My truck sits for weeks and sometimes months without being started and TOWTA's car sits for over 3 months without being moved when we go to FL and neither have any problems. I guess I've just been lucky by not having a problem with it.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My truck sits for weeks and sometimes months without being started and TOWTA's car sits for over 3 months without being moved when we go to FL and neither have any problems. I guess I've just been lucky by not having a problem with it.
Coot, either that, or your just Super Coot.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #56
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Coot, either that, or your just Super Coot.
Don't think so, I just haven't had any problem with it. Our oldest son's old 95 truck sits for months also and always starts and runs after sitting for 4-6 months at a time and the same with his car.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
updhaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 196
OldCoot, Most people don't have chain saws, I have two Poulans and two Jonsereds. One is leftover from a time when I could use it all day, but most people don't have RV's either and yet we do. Just trying to say that the saw mechanic was correct in it's been very good to use no alcohol premium for my two cycle engines as they then start when needed. Trees rarely fall in nice weather. I'll continue to drive in my truck that burns gas that has corn alcohol to get premium without it for all my less frequetly used and valuable saws.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #58
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Don't say its not available then.
Stubborn ooc BTW a ghost named Louis must have came back to life and answered quick trip and yes we have ETHANOL free gas.
(704)786-8748TURBS
Just for your information, I just stopped at this station and bought 19.6 gal. and went to every pump they have and NO gas available without 10% ethanol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0003.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	51697  
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #59
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
I'LL send you Amy's readers.


TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #60
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'LL send you Amy's readers.


TURBS
And they will take the 10% ethanol out? Neat!
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.