Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2022, 08:20 PM   #1

Exterior and Interior Wall Cracking -Help!?

All,

I finished my 2600 mile trip. I did not abuse the coach or hit any low spots in road. After my first 1300 miles there was a 6-8 inch crack on the outside above my rear slide and a matching one on the inside, both vertical. On the last 1300 miles, with the exterior crack tapped with extrabond, it cracked up to 12 inches and then the interior started cracking horizontally. Also my wood moulding on the interior top of the slide seems to be popping out on one corner. There is no binding, grinding, or issue during slide operation.

What the hell is going on? Forest River has agreed to have it looked at under warranty. The coach is a 2019 Sabre 36BHQ in excellent condition minus this…… i suspect the frame or studs are damaged.

See photos. Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10262E01-EF59-485F-98A7-74FB8411AA19.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	272129   Click image for larger version

Name:	0BA7E25D-9069-4776-9D08-A136CCBC1216.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	272130   Click image for larger version

Name:	61D04EEA-4759-4A37-8239-7DE0C8C6B11A.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	272131   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BD38F2A-659E-467A-AC57-ED211993547C.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	553.8 KB
ID:	272132  
Ram36BHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #2

is that a stock camper? most units are nothing but cheap paneling that would not crack. Sorry for the issues. Hope others more educated on your unit chime in
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:06 PM   #3

Yikes!! Looks like a factory warranty matter for sure.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:52 AM   #4

Yes it is, 2019 FR sabre 36BHQ. The photos some how got turned side ways.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #5

Worse than most I’ve seen and 1st interior following crack I’ve heard of. Best guess until inside panel is removed is a stud weld broke.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:16 PM   #6

Yikes! Obviously it's something FR believes it needs to fix under warranty.
Please let us know what you find out.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:27 PM   #7

Always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram36BHQ View Post
Yes it is, 2019 FR sabre 36BHQ. The photos some how got turned side ways.
Always take pictures for posting by rotating the phone/tablet so the button is on the right. Not top, bottom, or left.

I can explain the technical reason for this if you like.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:39 PM   #8

I'd wager there is some broken framing in that area that allowed this to happen, on a new unit definitely a warranty claim.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:20 PM   #9

Forest River is now ignoring me after its been at Campers World sitting in que. Campers World is stating they do not have bodyshop technicans to repair so they are trying to reject the work. Both parties agreed to proceed and started changing their tune. Im very displeased with forest river and how they back their products. Both Chad and Cheyenne are not communicating. I am going to escalate this to BBB and AG by weeks end.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:35 PM   #10

Relationship

Quote:
Forest River is now ignoring me after its been at Campers World sitting in que. Campers World is stating they do not have bodyshop technicans to repair so they are trying to reject the work. Both parties agreed to proceed and started changing their tune. Im very displeased with forest river and how they back their products. Both Chad and Cheyenne are not communicating. I am going to escalate this to BBB and AG by weeks end.
The relationship between factory and dealers is NOT the same as with car/truck factory and dealers. Forest River has no control over its dealers.

Don't even push for a dealer repair. It's clear that they will mess it up further.

You have two options:
  1. Push for Forest River to take it back to the factory for repair.
  2. Find a local, independent repair shop that you trust to do the job right. It would be pretty easy to push Forest River to cut a check for the repair--that's easy for them. Taking factory workers off the line for a repair is hard.

I recommend finding a local repairman yourself and letting him make the claim. If they agree to pay for the repair, you may have to pay the repairman out of pocket and wait for the reimbursement check. That's how the system works.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:39 PM   #11

Thank you Larry. The current issue is that FR will not do anything without it being evaluated by an authorized dealer hence the reason its at the closest one from me (1.5 hours away). I want them to take it back to factory but they have become unresponsive.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Thank you Larry. The current issue is that FR will not do anything without it being evaluated by an authorized dealer hence the reason its at the closest one from me (1.5 hours away). I want them to take it back to factory but they have become unresponsive.

yup...
not unusual that they need to have someone inspect it to make sure it is covered by warranty!

they are not going to spend the extra money to send the unit back to the factory unless there is absolutely no other choice.
If you want it to go to the factory... you'll have to pay the $$$ to ship it.

First thing I did after I bought my trailer is

locate a service place near me.

Forrest river gave me a list of local companies they work with.
Had a small warranty claim at that time..

Mobile Tech came out replaced the faulty part... no cost to me!
your situation is a lot more complicated.... but you still should spend the time looking at local companies that could do the repair.

That way you'll have someone to work with after the warranty runs out.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
yup...
not unusual that they need to have someone inspect it to make sure it is covered by warranty!

they are not going to spend the extra money to send the unit back to the factory unless there is absolutely no other choice.
If you want it to go to the factory... you'll have to pay the $$$ to ship it.

First thing I did after I bought my trailer is

locate a service place near me.

Forrest river gave me a list of local companies they work with.
Had a small warranty claim at that time..

Mobile Tech came out replaced the faulty part... no cost to me!
your situation is a lot more complicated.... but you still should spend the time looking at local companies that could do the repair.

That way you'll have someone to work with after the warranty runs out.
first off he is past his warranty and all contact should be with factory not dealers and their incompetent techs . If forest river agrees to fix unit they need to pay and will pay shipping both ways .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
head on up the ladder at FR there is no reason a dealer needs to see this . take more pictures , take off the trim and more pictures . clearly this is not a dealer fix issue as most likely the framing has given way . keep pushing FR they should step up to the plate . Their reputation is on thin ground as it is .
Old 07-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
is that a stock camper? most units are nothing but cheap paneling that would not crack. Sorry for the issues. Hope others more educated on your unit chime in
Cheap paneling that won't crack ? you can see in the pic it's the same 1/8 luan that covers most all units inside and it cracks depending on the force applied .
Old 07-13-2022, 11:12 PM   #16

Update: I submitted a formal letter to FR, BBB, NYS AG, and Camping World as everyone was ignoring me and my camper has been sitting for months at Camping World. FR has agreed to return the unit back to the factory and is scheduling the pick-up soon. Camping World performed a non-intrusive inspection measuring the frame.

FR is claiming this is a good will inspection and pending the outcome they will perform repairs on frame with lippert and the RV exterior/interior walls as a good will.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-13-2022, 11:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Update: I submitted a formal letter to FR, BBB, NYS AG, and Camping World as everyone was ignoring me and my camper has been sitting for months at Camping World. FR has agreed to return the unit back to the factory and is scheduling the pick-up soon. Camping World performed a non-intrusive inspection measuring the frame.

FR is claiming this is a good will inspection and pending the outcome they will perform repairs on frame with lippert and the RV exterior/interior walls as a good will.

Any thoughts?
Yes. You won the lottery.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:54 AM   #18
Site Team

Nearly 100% of owners here, that had their rigs taken back to the factory, have been very happy. Most got extra things thrown in.
And yes, you won the lottery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #19

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Yes the only way to get it fixed right will be at the factory . the goodwill part is legalize so they don't admit fault . now about that 100% satisfaction from the factory don't get your hopes up to high get a repaired camper back you can use and be happy , forget about all the time you lost out from using it or the extra time and costs getting it ready to be picked up or the 2 or 3 months it will be gone . but in the end this is the only way .
Old 07-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #20

Hardly a lottery winner forget about the months of non use and the many more months of waiting to get the unit back . Lucky the factory /FR is stepping up to correct the issue and get a usable camper back to a owner that seems to have lost months of use all ready . Lucky maybe , lottery winner not even close . FR is doing what they should do is no lottery winner

Tags
crack, exterior