Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #1

f-53 alignment

On my f-53 when the steering wheel is straight the coach will pull to right. If I hold the steering wheel at 10 o'clock with constant pressure the coach goes straight. If I let go of the wheel coach will pull to right. I noticed with the steering wheel straight when parked that the drivers side tire is striaght ahead, and the passenger side tire is toed out. How can this be fixed if the f-53 only adjust both tires at the same time with the drag link? Any experts?
Mandy
Partner
johnnyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjoe View Post
On my f-53 when the steering wheel is straight the coach will pull to right. If I hold the steering wheel at 10 o'clock with constant pressure the coach goes straight. If I let go of the wheel coach will pull to right. I noticed with the steering wheel straight when parked that the drivers side tire is striaght ahead, and the passenger side tire is toed out. How can this be fixed if the f-53 only adjust both tires at the same time with the drag link? Any experts?
How long have you had your coach? Mileage? Report it to Forest River. They might pay to have it aligned. You don't want to let this go on too long. Replacing those tires when they wear prematurely is very costly.

mburns@forestriverinc.com Mike Burns at FR. or

John Armstrong jarmstrong@forestriverinc.com

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #3

Charlie is correct. FR will only warrant the front end alignment for the first 90 days. We found out the hard way after having to buy new front tires and have out front end aligned after only 1 year of ownership. That was a very expenisve bill. All new motorhome owners should insist that the manufacturer (no matter who that is) pay for a front end alignment as I have heard of this being an issue on new RVs from many different owners and manufacturers.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjoe View Post
Get the alignment checked soon. The toe-in/toe-out is corrected by adjusting the tie rod. The draglink is not adjustable, not on my 2008 F53 anyway! Hopefully after the toe is set, your steering wheel will be straight when the coach is going in a straight line.
Remember the slightest wind from either side will make rigs the size of this wander requiring constant steering correction to compensate.
Also worth mentioning, practically all roads are crowned to disperse water to the shoulder. Some crowned more than others. This will also require compensation by slight left steer input from the driver.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

To answer you question, "How can this be fixed?" The answer is by a front end alignment. You don't want to do this in the driveway, or by trial and error. Do as the post above have suggested, and check with Forrest River, or maybe your dealer first.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #6

re-alignment F-53

Well I decided to align the thing myself, I am pretty mechanically inclined. I found a page on the internet on home alignment, and read through toe-in and toe-out part. The guy who wrote this said something I agree with, you should never have to re-center the steering wheel. If you have too this means something is wrong or wore out with the vehicle. I know for sure that when that Ford left the plant that the steering wheel was straight. After the body was put on it changed the toe-in to a tow-out. I checked this with very careful measurements, and it showed the passenger tire was off .2in. I loosened both sides of tie rod, and adjusted one full turn, or about .1. You would not believe the change, steering wheel is straight, no pull to the right, no having to hold the steering wheel in the 10 o'clock position, no more wandering all over, and If I let go the bus goes straight down the road. It drives like a car, very relaxed hold on the wheel. I made my measurements with the steering wheel showing the blue oval level. I will watch for tire wear, but I think it is fine now.
PS: I had it aligned at a truck shop after I got it, and it was still screwed up.
Mandy
Partner
johnnyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment