Old 09-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #1

Factory mistake caused leak

Hi!

This summer I purchased a new to me 2018 r-pod 180. The first sign we had a leak was this summer when we woke up to carpenter ants in the trailer. Knowing the ants are attracted to water, I searched the trailer front to back for a leak and was unable to find anything. The second sign was the pump running every 10 minutes or so without us using water. Because of this I would shut off the pump and depressurize the lines when not using water. This past weekend we stayed at a private campground with excellent water pressure. The morning after hooking up the trailer I noticed a steady stream of water dripping from the rear right corner of the trailer, just under the storage compartment. I discovered that the storage compartment was full of water, as was the bathroom floor. I removed the panel covering the pex line in the bathroom and water started shooting up into the air. When forest river manufactured our r-pod, someone stapled the trim right into the water line. It wasn't until I hooked up the trailer to the campgrounds high pressure water system that enough water leaked for me to notice it. I removed the vinyl flooring and dried as much of the water as I could. So far the wood doesn't seem to be soft and I strategically made small cuts into the vinyl in the bathroom and found dry wood. It appears that the damage is mostly contained to this corner of the trailer. My concern is that since the water was leaking from below the trailer, water obviously made its way below the subfloor. At this point, I'm trying to determine the best course of action to prevent more damage. Should I be cutting into the floor to try and dry out underneath the subfloor? Should I make a cut so I can get into the space beneath the wardrobe and work to dry that out? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated! I really want to straighten out this little r-pod because on the rare trip we haven't had any problem we really love the trailer. Do you think I'd have any luck reaching out to Forest River? I know I'm not the original owner and it's been over a year but this is a leak that's clearly been there from the day the trailer left the factory, and was caused carelessness stapling the trim to the wall. You can see in the photo that I circled the rusty staple that was in the pipe.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200926_201008_compress50.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	240213   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200926_201003_compress62.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	240214   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200926_201015_compress98.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	240215   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200928_233047.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	240216  
sawyernlsn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. First unlike a stick house there is not a separate sub floor what you are seeing for the wood is it. repair the pex and dry things out. invest in a pressure reducer if the pressure was that high you are lucky other fittings didn't leak. I doubt the Mfg will provide any assistance but it may be worth a try.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #3

Consider yourself lucky you found the leak when you did and the floor was plywood instead of OSB! Otherwise you’d have a spongy mold infested pile of sawdust. I think all you would find under the plywood would be block foam and a thin layer of material covering the backside. Just dry it out and monitor it. I’m sure the factory wouldn’t be interested.
Falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #4

Just to give everyone an update, I did speak with Forest River. I left a message and someone actually got back to me. They were friendly and asked me to send them pictures and said they're going to try and help me out. Definitely wasn't expecting that. We'll see where it goes from here, fingers crossed!
Old 09-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
BMullins46

I have had several dealings with Forest River personnel and they REALLY do want to help. Keep us posted as to what you are able to get done.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #6

Hi,
Water leaks/damage is everyone of our concerns no matter what make or model. I wish I could offer more help, but would like to suggest you buy hanger style damp rid hang it in the shower, change it when it has done its job( Crystal's are gone in top half, liquid accumulated in bottom half) The sooner, the better. I use them during storage and they really work at preventing dampness, mold, & mildew. They do not fix issues of leaks, but can help in the prevention and clean up process.
Keep us posted.
Kampg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

Damp Rid or spread some kitty liter on the floor where it was wet... that stuff soaks up anything damp... aim a small fan into that opening to circulate air

I would not go any further, there is not much under that flooring.

The take-away for anyone is that if the water pump runs for no reason, start searching for a leak.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Here's a photo from inside the bathroom which shows exactly what happened. I feel like one thing I have going for me is that there isn't any way this could be chalked up to a lack of maintenance or negligence on my part. Plus with the leak being under trim, there would be no way for me to inspect it without tearing parts of the trailer apart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200930_002452.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	240300  
Old 09-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
I have had several dealings with Forest River personnel and they REALLY do want to help. Keep us posted as to what you are able to get done.
I just have to say this: I have an A122S AFrame and it had a leak from a mistake clearly made by Forest River during assembly. I tried to figure it out for a couple years until I found some uncaulked components. I detailed all of this to FR and said I was willing to pay just to get it right. I took my trailer to Middlebury and they fixed everything, including replacing the "kitchenette" which had to be a huge job. I asked them why they didn't get me a quote for the work before they started and they just said, "No charge." Still amazed by that kind of customer service on a 3-yr old trailer.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Damp Rid or spread some kitty liter on the floor where it was wet... that stuff soaks up anything damp... aim a small fan into that opening to circulate air

I would not go any further, there is not much under that flooring.

The take-away for anyone is that if the water pump runs for no reason, start searching for a leak.
100% accurate. And look beyond the surface. Everything I could see and touch was dry. It's worth dealing with the headache of pulling trim or panels apart if it means find a leak sooner than later.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #11

Staple leak

We had same thing except in a smaller line and it was a staple. And we caught it right away. So not hardly any damage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200906_175448.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	240301  
RTRT94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneweeseMI View Post
I just have to say this: I have an A122S AFrame and it had a leak from a mistake clearly made by Forest River during assembly. I tried to figure it out for a couple years until I found some uncaulked components. I detailed all of this to FR and said I was willing to pay just to get it right. I took my trailer to Middlebury and they fixed everything, including replacing the "kitchenette" which had to be a huge job. I asked them why they didn't get me a quote for the work before they started and they just said, "No charge." Still amazed by that kind of customer service on a 3-yr old trailer.
That's awesome! Good customer service goes a long way. It's nice to hear about a company taking care of a customer versus only thinking about the bottom line.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRT94 View Post
We had same thing except in a smaller line and it was a staple. And we caught it right away. So not hardly any damage.
Since I've started checking out the forums I've seen a few instances of the same thing. On the r-Pod forum one person actually had it happen in the exact same place as mine. You'd think they'd want to protect the lines somehow before stapling right next to them. Glad you caught it early.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #14
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyernlsn44 View Post
Just to give everyone an update, I did speak with Forest River. I left a message and someone actually got back to me. They were friendly and asked me to send them pictures and said they're going to try and help me out. Definitely wasn't expecting that. We'll see where it goes from here, fingers crossed!
I had an issue with The floor in my Flagstaff 8296fkss. The floor delaminates in three spots. They actually towed it from Rochester New York back to the factory and replace the floor for me even though the trailer was a little bit out of warranty. And they fixed about three or four things that I didn’t even ask about. I have had great luck before With forest river. We wanted to buy a new trailer this year but unfortunately they discontinued the front kitchen Adriana Slade Maddow that we love so much. The trailer is now 10 years old and I decided to fix everything wrong with it and keep it. It cost me all of about $200. I wash wax and maintain it every year so the trailer looks next to do.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #15

I have seen the same thing in sticks and bricks construction with drywall screws through copper pipes.
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #16

I'm speechless

This is what I received:
"After further review this is not something that we would cover. As you are a second owner and we cannot deem this as a manufacturing issue because it is noted in our owner’s manual (page 53) *that this must be checked on a monthly basis by customer"

So I'm supposed to check to see if they stapled my pex line on a monthly basis? I can see how they could deny me because I'm the second owner but telling me I should've checked something. They stapled into a Pex line hidden under trim. Insanity!
Old 10-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #17

Just called them. They said I'm supposed to be removing this stapled trim every month to inspect the water lines because it's an access panel.

Tags
factory, leak