Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #1

Factory Service

So my 5er was already at the factory once to look at some issues and didn’t get them all fixed, and it needs to go back for the floor issues. I told them I want to bring it back myself but they won’t let me bring it back. They said it is policy to not let retail customer bring to there facility. Has anyone dealt of this?
Old 08-03-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
Always Learning

I know each brand is different, but my friends just took their Salem to the factory a couple of months ago. They were actually mid-trip and nearby, so it worked out. Salem replaced the roof and put them into a camper in the parking lot for the week they were there.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:21 AM   #3

Intresting. I’ll drive the 3.5 hours and come back a month later. I just want to walk the trailer with someone....I mean they didn’t get it right last time and they don’t have to pay someone to pick it up.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #4

No one else?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #5

Our 2018 FS Micro Lite 21DS needed warranty factory repair. Dealer arranged transport to Millersburg, IN, but they did let us pick it up after work was finished. Did not have anyone to do a walk through, but we camped near there for a couple of days to check it out ourselves before returning home.
Npmathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Is it Sierra who said you can't bring it back yourself, or your did your dealer 'relay' the message from them? If your dealer, well, sometimes things get lost in translation. If Sierra said it, then I guess it must be their policy, so I don't know if there's much you can do about it.

I assume it's not a "Customer's not allowed on factory grounds" at least. I was at the Sierra plant last year during the rally because I wanted to look at a particular bunkhouse 5er model. Arranged it with the factory and showed up to meet of their managers who let us look over a mostly finished unit, and even threw in a quicky factory tour.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Always Learning

It's been 5 years now, but while I was dealing with the factory on my factory return (when they accidentally sent it back me). There was a user here who also posted issues with a factory return about the same time. One of his frustrations was that he took the camper to the factory and expected to have a walk-thru like you decide. He was basically told, "thanks, put it over there and see ya." and didn't get the satisfaction of a proper walk-thru of the issues.

I think the factories are most ready to deal with delivery drivers who just dump and run.

I wonder if it'd be better for them to use their driver to take it and then to schedule a separate meeting/appointment with you to do a proper walk-thru before they get started?

I'll also say, as a result of my debacle, I ended up going to the factory before I let them release it back to me. I spent 2 days at the factory using the camper and pointing out issues that they resolved on the spot. But, I always considered my case was special since my situation turned into such a hot mess.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #8

I was hoping for a walk thru when i dropped and and when i picked it up. Going to send an email. I let them pick it up the first time, and when i got it back i didnt check it as it was winter. Spring came and they fixed some things, but a few major items were address pourly. Now i am told “we understand your concerns”. Well if you did it would be fixed.

Tags
factory, service