Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Fiberglass Gelcoat

I have a 2008 Palomino Gazelle TT. It is fiberglass. Up front it has a fiberglass shroud to cover the battery and two propane tanks. The foam padding that was suppose to protect the front fiberglass panel wasn't put on correctly and consequently the shroud has scuffed the white gel coat off the front panel of the TT. The scuffed area is about 1 inch wide by 2 feet long- superficial but obvious. My questions are: what are the best ways to repair the gel coat? and Any ideas for preventing the same thing happening again? I plan on pulling the shroud away but I would also like to attach something to the fiberglass panel so if the shroud does rub the TT it won't rub the actual panel. Is there anything i could paint on that would be easy to apply?
Thanks
Ambrose
Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
A 2008...I'd let the dealer figure it out. (and let them fix it)

Another thought...many people put a diamond plate panel across the lower front to protect it.

A third thought would be a piece of weatherstripping or foam on the edge of the cover. Maybe you can find something at an auto parts store to edge it with.

This stuff works wonders on RV's and such:

GEL GLOSS (16oz)
Combines the most powerful non-abrasive cleaning agents with the most effective Carnuaba Waxes to produce the highest surface luster possible. Removes surface scratches and oxidation while providing a long lasting protective finish. Excellent for sinks, basins, countertops, tubs, spas, RV's boats, shower doors, stainless steel and porcelain. Recommended for cleaning and maintenance of gel-coated surfaces.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #3

thanks Pete- I have the dealer looking into it so hopefully that will work out. How is the diamond plate panel attached?
Ambrose
Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I think the panels are screwed on...not sure. I like the look though.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote