RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 05:11 AM   #61

Yes , to both you will need the metal stems if you decide to go with a TPMS system.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Fascinating. Some folks have blow outs after blow out while others have no problems. Makes you wonder. I think it's like an iceberg. A lot more below the surface.
I have a question regarding trailer weight, twin axles and tire loading... Should each tire or axle be rated to handle the full load of the trailer? I understand that on a level road the suspension should distribute the weight evenly, but what about "real world" bumps, potholes and curbs? I would think each axle will get the full brunt of the load from time to time under those conditions... But please let me know it that may be part of the "iceberg." Thanks!

Ely
Old 06-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyWalton View Post
I have a question regarding trailer weight, twin axles and tire loading... Should each tire or axle be rated to handle the full load of the trailer? I understand that on a level road the suspension should distribute the weight evenly, but what about "real world" bumps, potholes and curbs? I would think each axle will get the full brunt of the load from time to time under those conditions... But please let me know it that may be part of the "iceberg." Thanks!

Ely
No. If you have multiple axles, you sum up their ratings
Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #64

Guess I've Been Lucky!!!

Well, I have put about 9100 miles on my Castle Rock tires since I picked up my new trailer a year ago. I will admit that I had great concern about keeping them on my trailer after reading the horror stories on this forum, but it didn't make sense to me to just throw away brand new tires either. So, I kept them on and based on the advice of many on this forum, I bought a TPMS, kept the tires inflated to 65 (checked them every morning before hitting the road), and I kept my max speed between 55 to 60. I did get a screw caught in a tire on one trip, but the TPMS warned me that I was having a problem and saved the day. I also keep my trailer stored "under cover" when not in use to keep the hot Texas sun off the tires. So, maybe I have been lucky, but I also think that I've been prudent about how I've cared for the tires and that has surely made a great difference. So, would I buy Castle Rocks when I replace my current tires? Probably not, but whatever tires I do buy, I will treat them with the same care that I have treated my Castle Rocks.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #65

I thought the same way you did and I also keep my RV in a closed storage. Check tires every time I remove it from storage. I had a blow out on the interstate and a blow out just sitting in the storage unit.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburch View Post
Good morning;

Thanks so much for the replies!!!!

Yes, the tires were all aired up to 65#s, and I weighted at the beginning of my trip - 7280# on the axles - the only other affect could have been heat, as it was in the mid 90s - I usually don't pull over 60 MPH and especially now as my truck is new...tire size 225/75/15s steel belted radials load range D - 4 ply w/ 2 ply sidewalls. IMHO the tires coming on these trailers are not rated higher enough to perform under any conditions - I thought maybe I could get 2-3 thousand before upgrading, but not the case - only less than 1800 miles on these tires - Do what you want, but I would recommend tire change as soon as you drive from the dealer!!!!

Presley
Just another reminder for those recommending Sailun tires in this particular thread. As per the OP, who have 15 inch diameter rims, of which Sailun does not currently offer.

Sailuns are used on 16 inch diameter rims:

http://www.gosailun.com/MRT/Tire/S637T

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #67

Another vote for swapping to Maxxis or GY Endurance. One friend had his 32' trailer totalled by a 3.5 year-old china bomb. Another found severe cord separation on all four at the end of a summer excursion when one failed (less than 4 years old). The first drove too fast. The second put his 5er on blocks in the off-season to protect the tires.

Lives can be at stake (failure and sway). Add the inconvenience of damage from a failure 1000 miles from home. And sometimes you want to go faster than 55-65. The cost of added margin to get these benefits is tolerable for most of us.

My FR Rockwood came with load range C that were 95% of max load. I replaced with Maxxis load range D (GY Endurance was not available then).

Interestingly load range D with the same psi has about the same load rating as C. One must increase the pressure in the D to have more load capacity (i.e., more load margin). The C china bombs had max psi of 50. I run the load range D at 58 psi (max is 65). I forget what the load rating is at 58 psi, but it about quadrupled my load margin over that on the C's.

My cat rides in the 5er. I'd upgrade for his safety and comfort alone.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I suppose a class action lawsuit will someday put an end to the installation of Castle Rock tires on new FR products.
Unfortunately, seeing the way things normally go, someone will have to die, or be mangled in an accident before that happens.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #69
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
No but proper inspection can usually identify suspect tires. I cover proper inspection in detail in my RV tire blog.
X2! The human eye is a thousand times more perceptive than any TPMS.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 06-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambers View Post
Unfortunately, seeing the way things normally go, someone will have to die, or be mangled in an accident before that happens.
Wishful thinking because ST tires are not held to the same standards as passenger-carrying tires. That's one reason the Govmint hasn't stepped in with corrective measures.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #71

Rockwood 8324BS, 10k lb Dry weight with castle rocks.

Been to quite a few camp sites locally in MI, round trips to Myrtle Beach Twice and Disney once. 1000s of miles on them and knock on wood they have been fine. I keep them at 65 psi and run 65-70mph easy on the highway. I also have the bearings serviced every spring to make sure no extra heat is generated.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #72

Goodyear Tires

I replaced mine with Goodyear High Endurance tires. I also had a blow out. The Castle Rock tires are junk and should be banned as they are dangerous. Forest River should never put them on the trailers. Ironically, my spare was a Goodyear High endurance. Couldn't figure that one out.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmolli View Post
[...] The Castle Rock tires are junk and should be banned as they are dangerous. Forest River should never put them on the trailers. [...]
I guess etrailer needs to be clued in as well... LOL

https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Traile...ll-description

Ely...
Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #74

saloun

saloun tires at simple tire...there GREAT....
Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #75

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Sailum made in China high quality are the only tires to use with recent experience I have had both G and H rated tires. They are made to higher standards than Goodyear. I have seen time and time again Marathons blow out after minimal service, quality not there. Now seeing G 647 Goodyear same thing. Sad as Goodyear use to be the standard and I used them on my trailers.

To add for smaller sizes as WM BILLTIRE pointed out maybe a LT tire would be an option.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
To add for smaller sizes as WM BILLTIRE pointed out maybe a LT tire would be an option.
Usually not enough load carrying capacity and try to find an LT tire in a 14"
Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #77

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Usually not enough load carrying capacity and try to find an LT tire in a 14"
I agree, possibly better construction might be better longevity.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #78

Sailum does not have size I need ?? or can it be used?? Sailun S637 Trailer Tire ST235/80R16
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #79

I really like that the Goodyear Endurance let me go up a load range and increase the margin on top speed, to 85 mph instead of 75 mph on my Castle Rocks. Some ST tires are even limited to 65 mph. It's understandable why they don't last long on turnpikes.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon18TO View Post
I really like that the Goodyear Endurance let me go up a load range and increase the margin on top speed, to 85 mph instead of 75 mph on my Castle Rocks. Some ST tires are even limited to 65 mph. It's understandable why they don't last long on turnpikes.
I have Endurance but don't see a speed rating. I see 65 P.S.I. but no speed rating
Closed Thread

Tags
tire