Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #21
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
That is not always true, example is Goodyear G614 or Sailun S637
dannyabear, both the Goodyear G614 and the Sailun S637 are sold as trailer tires. Neither one is an LT tire.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburch View Post
No TPMS system, so wasn't warned before it blew

Presley
Would a TPMS warn of an impending blowout that wasn't pressure loss related?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Glad to hear your blowout didn’t happen on the interstate. Hopefully it didn’t cause any damage.

Goodyear Endurance and Maxxis M8008 don’t come in Load Range D for the ST225/75R15 size tire. Are they 205/75R15? LR D (2150# max.) should be sufficient for 7280# on two axles. That said, heat is a huge factor with ST tires.

In September 2017, RVIA started mandating that member manufacturers install tires that will handle 110% of the axle’s GAWR. That should be a minimum.

I also had two blowouts on my castle rocks last month. I’m glad I bought a spare tire after the first blowout. Now on my second trip to discount tire I went ahead and bought four of their best rated ST tire the Goodyear Endurance. As stated above, not by choice, had upgrade to load E. They DO NOT SELL ANY BRAND of ST/225/75R15/D load range at Discount Tire. Now I just hope these tires are good as they say.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
I put Goodyear endurance on my trailer as soon as I brought the trailer home... So far in the last two years I have put about 10,000 miles on the tires and I am very happy with them.. Always check tire pressures for proper inflation... I never tow over 65mph... Another friend has used the Sailun tires and is also very happy with them I prefer the Goodyear because they are very good quality and made in the good old USA...

First, I'm glad you are happy with your Goodyears.

I towed my trailer home in July of 2017 and now have almost two years on the OE Castle Rocks and an estimated 14,000 miles (several round trips to New Mexico and all the other States west of the Rockies while coming and going. Still going strong and have lots of tread left (alll still attached to the tire body ).

I did invest my money in a really good TPMS however.

Since I inspect my tires carefully before every trip for the beginnings of any tread separation and/or cracking I'll more likely than not end up replacing the tires before they "blow up" on me on the road but then again, no guarantee.

The brush that's being used to "paint" the Castle Rocks as crap is way too broad. Different trailers, different tire sizes, different loads, different levels of maintenance, and on, and so forth. Some failures are the tires and some are "People Caused".

Personally I think it's crazy to run out and buy brand new tires just because of what one reads on the internet. Ever notice how almost (emphasize ALMOST) all complaints of tire failure do not include pictures. A picture can often tell a lot about what caused the massive failures described, most often being the driving on a flat tire until it starts flapping the tread and destroying parts of the trailer.

But that's just my opinion based on what I've watched over my long career dealing with tires and tire maintenance.

In the meanwhile I'll be putting some more miles on the original tires next week.

BTW: Not long after I bought my Volt I had one of the Michelin's go flat while driving down the road. Picked up a small triangular piece of sheet metal that looked like a tooth off a circular saw blade. Got an instant warning from the TPMS. I pulled over and dealt with the leak as soon as I could (GM now uses their version of "Fix A Flat" instead of a spare in this vehicle}. Continued on to my destination and back home, a total of 180 miles. Next day I had my local tire dealer patch the tire from inside and am still running on it after approximately 12,000 miles.

Without the TPMS, I probably would have continued down the road until the tire looked like a HUGE dog had been chewing on it as I didn't feel anything different in the car's handling.

Just a plug for TPMS systems. They really do pay off.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I towed my trailer home in July of 2017 and now have almost two years on the OE Castle Rocks and an estimated 14,000 miles (several round trips to New Mexico and all the other States west of the Rockies while coming and going. Still going strong and have lots of tread left (alll still attached to the tire body ).

Since I inspect my tires carefully before every trip for the beginnings of any tread separation and/or cracking I'll more likely than not end up replacing the tires before they "blow up" on me on the road but then again, no guarantee.

The brush that's being used to "paint" the Castle Rocks as crap is way too broad. Different trailers, different tire sizes, different loads, different levels of maintenance, and on, and so forth. Some failures are the tires and some are "People Caused".

Personally I think it's crazy to run out and buy brand new tires just because of what one reads on the internet. Ever notice how almost (emphasize ALMOST) all complaints of tire failure do not include pictures. A picture can often tell a lot about what caused the massive failures described, most often being the driving on a flat tire until it starts flapping the tread and destroying parts of the trailer.

But that's just my opinion based on what I've watched over my long career dealing with tires and tire maintenance.

In the meanwhile I'll be putting some more miles on the original tires next week.

BTW: Not long after I bought my Volt I had one of the Michelin's go flat while driving down the road. Picked up a small triangular piece of sheet metal that looked like a tooth off a circular saw blade. Got an instant warning from the TPMS. I pulled over and dealt with the leak as soon as I could (GM now uses their version of "Fix A Flat" instead of a spare in this vehicle}. Continued on to my destination and back home, a total of 180 miles. Next day I had my local tire dealer patch the tire from inside and am still running on it after approximately 12,000 miles.

Without the TPMS, I probably would have continued down the road until the tire looked like a HUGE dog had been chewing on it as I didn't feel anything different in the car's handling.

Your micro light is probably only around 5000 lbs. which has plenty reserve on your tires; they use the same tires on 32' campers which are borderline with the max capacity of the tires, no cushion, which explains a lot of failures. I held my breathe for 1 year with the original Westlakes then changed to Endurance tires.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
Old 05-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Your micro light is probably only around 5000 lbs. which has plenty reserve on your tires; they use the same tires on 32' campers which are borderline with the max capacity of the tires, no cushion, which explains a lot of failures. I held my breathe for 1 year with the original Westlakes then changed to Endurance tires.
It's actually 6300 lbs when I weigh it and tongue weight measures 800#.

Tires are closely matched to axle rated capacity. In reality the tires have a combined extra capacity of around 50# more than the axles which regardless of what load rating one upsizes to they are still a limiting factor. Ignoring this leads to what I call the "human factor" that is all too often present before a tire failure. Along with overloading, over speed, etc, etc.

FWIW, I've never seen an ST 205/75R-14-C tire on a 32' trailer. Aren't most TT's in that length equipped with at least 15" tires?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #27

Quote:
My RV came with Westlake tires which I had never heard of but knew they were from China which didn't make me happy. Before I seriously considered buying Michelins (no Goodyears for me), I checked out the Westlake tires. They are 14 ply, H rated, and up to 125 # psi. Their load rating equaled or exceeded Michelins and after 7000 miles I would buy them again.
PS: They came nitrogen filled and after almost 2 years I've never added any air.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
Old 05-29-2019, 10:02 PM   #28

Quote:
That is not always true, example is Goodyear G614 or Sailun S637
Not available for 15" tires like the OP has.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #29
pburch

Good morning

The castle Rock that blew had a 6" hole with the steel belt broke. My wife took a picture but its on her phone. This happened as I was pulling into the McD parking lot and did not have time to separate or do any damage - if I had been on the interstate, this would have been bad. My axle weight on the trailer was 7280# when I weighted Friday morning. I just believe 4 ply tires on this rig may be a bit light. Yes, I do read the forums about the China tires for the past
year, and it led me to be nervous about these tires.

On the other side of things, I have heard a lot of good with the Goodyear Endurance tires, 10 ply, load range E. I pulled the trigger yesterday and put on new Goodyear tires, I feel peace of mind now, and hopefully have made a good decision! For those of you that are running Castle Rocks with your configuration, you may be just fine...…

Presley
2021 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L 4 x 4 3.73 Gear 6' 4" Bed
Along with "Abby" and "Charlie" our Fur Babies
Old 05-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

That's YOUR opinion. You state that often here and as long as you continually post YOU have no issues, I'm going to continue to say there are.

My experience and those of many others is different from yours and I'd like to believe the hundreds of posts on this forum (and other forums) support the issues with Castle Rock tires.

I do agree that you 'may' not have to run out and get new tires on your way home from the dealer and 'may be' able to get a few miles on them but that is a chance each person will need to take.

I ran mine for over a year and about 6000 miles and had no issues until one day... I did.

I do hope you continue to get good use out of yours but please don't be lulled into believing those of us (like you) who religiously check our tire pressures, haven't curbed them, didn't run over a nail, run a TPMS and have years of vehicle/mechanical careers and experience, haven't had problems.

There is enough empirical evidence for me to believe differently.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
Old 05-30-2019, 07:12 AM   #31
pburch

Well said 5picker...
Old 05-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #32

Unfortunately you joined the castle rock club. I had them on my camper which were load range E. I have a 31 foot. One blew without warning also in Florida on the way to Orlando about three months ago. I got the spare on and made it to the camp ground.
For the person asking about tire monitor systems.... I have a TST system which I love. That day however it didn’t pick up on anything. The tire had a catastrophic failure that unless a system has a crystal ball feature would not have picked up anything. After the tire blew of course every bell and whistle went off. I was on the interstate and it did some damage but luckily was all repairable by myself.
At the campground I started calling local tire stores to get them all replaced with Goodyear Endurance. Found a couple places but didn’t want to deal with the camper and told me to just remove a tire at a time and bring t it to them..... what a pain.
I found a guy that travels around Orlando in a big truck that sells, balances and replaces tires at your location. And he only changed me $10 bucks more per tire then the big box tire stores. These were brand new Goodyear Endurance tires. What a deal!! Really nice guy too.
Anyway without looking at a map.... if Melbourne is close to Orlando and you’d like his info let me know and I’ll pass it along.

PS.... adding this before someone asks. My tires weren’t yet even a year old and had maybe 2500 miles on them.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #33
pburch

Hey KK5fe

Thanks for the reply - i'm just east of Orlando - having that info on the tire guy would be nice, I might need help in the future, or for one of my friends

Thanks

Presley
Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Hey KK5fe

Thanks for the reply - i'm just east of Orlando - having that info on the tire guy would be nice, I might need help in the future, or for one of my friends

Thanks

Presley
I totally missed your post that you already got your new tires. Anyway keep this info handy. The guy is very nice and a wealth of knowledge about tires. He’s originally from Scotland and had a thick accent. He did the same thing over there. Came here on a vacation and found that no one does this sort of thing so he stayed and opened up his buisness. I’m glad he did!
Anyway his buisness is Tire Brigade
407-846-8473

It’s amazing the equipment he has in that van.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A3EADE9-00A7-45A2-A2A5-CE1C0DE93BDC.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	205929   Click image for larger version

Name:	EABA3720-7288-4EC8-B41D-4967C342CA91.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	205930  
Old 05-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #35
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
That's YOUR opinion. You state that often here and as long as you continually post YOU have no issues, I'm going to continue to say there are.

My experience and those of many others is different from yours and I'd like to believe the hundreds of posts on this forum (and other forums) support the issues with Castle Rock tires.

I do agree that you 'may' not have to run out and get new tires on your way home from the dealer and 'may be' able to get a few miles on them but that is a chance each person will need to take.

I ran mine for over a year and about 6000 miles and had no issues until one day... I did.

I do hope you continue to get good use out of yours but please don't be lulled into believing those of us (like you) who religiously check our tire pressures, haven't curbed them, didn't run over a nail, run a TPMS and have years of vehicle/mechanical careers and experience, haven't had problems.

There is enough empirical evidence for me to believe differently.
5picker, you’ve stated in a previous thread that your 5er (which is similar in weight to mine) came from the factory with Load Range D tires. My early-2019 came with Load Range E. I think that has a lot to do with the unexplained tire failures. The Castle Rocks probably are a lesser quality tire than the Goodyear Endurance and the Maxxis M8008 but combining that with an insufficient load rating is a recipe for failures.

pburch, if your trailer had LR D tires from the factory they weren’t 4-ply. LR D tires have an “8-ply rating”. LR C have a “6-ply rating”. Where did you get the info about 4-ply?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 05-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Well said 5picker...
X2
Old 05-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #37

I will stay with my Rocks for 2 years if they let me. I agree with 5picker and Titan there is a lot of info on the net and some how I have never seen a post on a blown Goodyear endurance on here yet but a lot of Rocks blown up. Good point about proper load range on trailer sent from factory, did they figure it out?? My 2019 Rockwood came with LRE and that is what it needs. I worry most about the heat here in Florida, they get hot just on our 1-2 hr trips, with the heat here I will probably change any trailer tires I buy every 2 years. Thanks Frank
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 05-31-2019, 01:25 AM   #38

I had castle rocks blow 3 times on my TT and I'm a every trip pressure checker. It gets down as I raise the stabilizer jacks as part of my pre-trip. The second blow out caused a little damage, repaired with gorilla tape. The third one shredded the undercarriage badly and knocked some things loose I had to zip tie to get home with. After the more serious, damage blow out, I put GY Endurance on it, Had I known I was going to trade it, maybe I would have gone cheaper.

My new camper came with them again and I've had a couple local trips but before I go far, it will be headed to Discount Tire for fresh skins. Castle Rock will not be trusted again with anything I own. Anyone near Cincy, I've got a set that has less than 250 miles on them. Give them to you for 60% of new price.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #39

I follow tire threads on this and other RV forums. The GY Endurance is getting good reviews and should be a good choice if you can get it in your tire size.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #40
RCAF VET

I got 17,000 miles on my 2015 Crusader with original China Bombs, knock on wood haven't had any problem with them, yet...
2011 Super Duty F-250
2015 Crusader 294 RLT
Closed Thread

Tags
tire