RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
I would say to the OP that you are lucky that your list is so short and the items so minor.

You do realize that you bought a kit that is 80% complete and that it is up to the owner to complete the kit,

BTW we are in our 12th season with our Forest River product and just returned from an 8500 mile trip with it.

Lots of fixes and mods since we have owned the unit.

John U
OMG,,,80% complete kit..love it...

I will say that I have major issues and minor issues over the years but the places I have gone, things that I have seen, experiences I have experienced easily masks any issues I have had.
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #22

Nothing's Perfect

I knew going in that I would have to handle a lot of minor things on my unit. Just the nature of the beast.
#1 Maybe there is a hole in one of the hoses or it has become disconnected.
#2 You can get the rubble bumpers at Lowes/ Home Depot.
#3 Great job fixing the water heater. I've had to do that kind of stuff too.
#4 The electrical outlet boxes have two tabs that hold the box against the very thin paneling hence the bowing. If you ever get the chance take an outlet out and you will see how the wires just fit down into some clips. No stripping or hooked to screws like the home ones. You have to unsnap the back cover of plug-in to see them. These will be a source of headaches once in awhile. I have added one of these to my arsenal and although a little pricey, it paid for itself because I didn't have to call a mobile tech.https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluke-Netwo...-Probe/3438412
Sorry you are having issues but there are many knowledgeable people on this forum that are more than willing to help.
Safe travels!

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #23

Buy and read as many handyman books, magazines, websites, etc. Once I embraced the fact that I was on my own (with a lot of help from folks here) rv quality issues became less stressful. I even help others. Jump right in. You can mis-locate a self-tapping screw as well as FR. Just back that thing out and try another angle, or leave the hole and try somewhere else. Make it fun. Have no expectations of yourself. It's the FR way! AND somebody here has had your issue and will give you advice so you got that going for you.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
OMG,,,80% complete kit..love it...
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR - Some Assembly Required.png
Views:	119
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	172565
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:19 AM   #25

My first RV 2018 23RBHL had over 15 issues from small to large. Biggest ones were shower floor was only supported half way to the door and gas water heater would not light. Small were missing screws, panels not nailed off etc. All of these would have been caught if the worked was checked (Quality Control). I emailed FR and asked about QC on their trailers and if this was normal to have this many items needing to be addressed and the email I received is below.

ďGood Morning.

You asked if it is normal to have the issues that you are having with a new unit, and the answer is yes and no. You shouldnít be having these issues but we do understand that sometimes things can go wrong because they are put together by a lot of people and are built by humans and we make mistakes which is why there is a 1 year warranty in place. These are all things that could have been assessed by the dealer under warranty.

All I can say is that I am sorry that you have had to deal with these things, and if anything else pops up you should really get it to the dealer so they can fix the issue under warranty.

Have a good day.

Respectfully,

Tara ď

To sum it up FR and probably others just want to make a fast buck and get the junk sold. It becomes the responsibility of the buyer to get the new product in working condition by giving the trailer back for days or weeks of repair before they can use it the first time or fixing the issues themselves. Warranty is to cover items that break or fail within the first year. It is not to cover items that left the factory in a known incomplete or broken state.

RCFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:47 AM   #26
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
We are on our third Forest River product in 13 years and as long as I'm buying RVs - I can almost assure you they will be Forest River products.

Problems - yes, we've had a few. Issues with the selling dealer - of course. But, in talking with other folks out there with non-Forest River brand products seems they have a lot worse issues. One friend in fact took a huge loss and traded another brand (Jayco) after just a year to get a Cedar Creek. The real pity was...it was his second RV of that other brand (Jayco) and both were equally rotten in his opinion.

He's had his Cedar Creek over a year now and loves it. He's had it back to the dealer just once for minor repairs and they got him in and out in two days.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 AM   #27

One of the best.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
OP, I see you haven't logged in here since you posted your rant as you called it. Here's hoping you come back and see what comments have been made.

Regarding this: here is the official disclaimer from the bottom of most pages:
"ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions."

In many ways, you remind me of myself when I first registered here - bought my first F.R. unit (a Wildcat) - posted my first rant of about 20 punchlist items - was told this is not a F.R. forum, just a group of (mostly) F.R. owners with the same kinds of issues. An old codger here gave me the best advice I received early on. He told me I had choices:
1. ignore the stuff
2. fix everything myself
3. stay on the dealer's case until everything was fixed to my satisfaction

Truth be told, I used all 3 suggestions depending on the issue. My dealership could never seem to fix a leak in my bedroom slide. F.R. Parts and Service paid a local dealership (not my original purchasing store) to install three (3) slide out toppers - no more leaks.

At this point, I agree with one part of your story. I may never buy another F.R. product since I'm planning on using this unit until I croak. I've pulled it 16,177 miles and we really enjoy it (after my punchlist was completed!
Without a doubt, one of the best posts I've seen in a long time.

Thanks.

Marty
Old 05-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #28

My family have a 2017 salem hemisphere, the plant took it in August last year, we had de lamination issues. They ended up replacing all of the outside walls, and while there they fixed the back splash in the kitchen. All of which my warrantee would not cover as it was noticed after my one year was up. I live 5 hours away from my dealer. I choose to get the plant involved. They made it right, and then delivered it home for me. On the way home the driver ran over a dead deer, ripping the under neath, bending an axle and breaking pipes and a lot of other things. FR with no questions asked had me arrange to fix it with a local repair shop (not an FR dealer, but they approved him and set him up so that I didn't pay).

So in my opinion, is FR perfect? No! But they seem to own their wrongs and try to make them right! To me that is a company that will get my business in the future!

Like others have said, enjoy the family time that you get while camping! There is a lot in this world that some don't have that chance anymore.

Happy Camping and Safe Travels!
burch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #29

I just sold my Prime Time fiver - my fifth and last RV. The quality has dramatically decreased over the years and I refuse to spend over $40k to have something I need to work on all the time. Having to repaint a 2 year old RV, Replace the Bonded Leather furniture, re-dicor the roof, replace the crap tires plus a host of other issues is not my idea of quality or an acceptable product. It certainly takes away from the fun of RVing. And all around me I see mega RV places going in. It is not an FR problem, it is an industry problem and will not be solved as long as people are snapping them up.

I have had water lines come off the water inlet inside and woken up to a flooded RV and an ice sheet running down the RV park - that was on a 2 week old fiver from Keystone and that was the beginning of its problems but it went on to become one of the better RVs. The only camping that did not cause a problem was over 40 years ago using a tent and a 20 x 40 ft tarp to cover the campsite - that was a hoot and the kids loved putting that up and then watching all the people come by and stare. But it kept everything dry in the Smokies which is not easy.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #30

We are in our second season and have found a few things that will need attention. Basically it was a bad choice to use soft wood when a hard wood wood was a better choice in mechanical applications.

I've found some construction short cuts that make me smh but I commiserate the fact that they were trying to keep the weight down.

Cross my fingers but I have had virtually none of the issues I've read about on this forum.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #31

Let the ranting begin after my post, the reason as I see it is that the RV manufacturers gets away with building these POS is because way too many folks just accept the inferior quality that is being manufactured. Say what you will, but I don’t accept anyone’s reasoning that it just the way things are and you need to deal with it. That’s the whimpy way of saying “well they got one over on me” , shame on me, and I’ll fix it myself just live with it. To many people today that don’t want to ROCK the Boat and hurt anyone’s feeling by calling them out on a poorly produced poorly constructed product. I’m done.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #32

Even new tents need some seam sealer (error on caution/peace of mind). The only real problem with my TT is that 30+ day a year just isnít enough.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #33

We're buying hard tents built on trailers that we drag across miles of potholes at 70mph.

My intention was to get a mobile sleeping system where I didn't have to roll out of a deflated air mattress, try to get dressed, find and tie my shoes...while freezing then unzip the door...exit without tripping. Walk in the wet, dark, cold morning to a bug infested outhouse to enjoy my morning constitutional.

$70,000 later we have a glorified mobile master bedroom with a kitchen, toilet and shower, central a/c and heat and entertainment system.

We still call it camping though.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
I would say to the OP that you are lucky that your list is so short and the items so minor.

You do realize that you bought a kit that is 80% complete and that it is up to the owner to complete the kit,

BTW we are in our 12th season with our Forest River product and just returned from an 8500 mile trip with it.

Lots of fixes and mods since we have owned the unit.

John U
That is too funny
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDMeyer View Post
My intention was to get a mobile sleeping system where I didn't have to roll out of a deflated air mattress, try to get dressed, find and tie my shoes...while freezing then unzip the door...exit without tripping. Walk in the wet, dark, cold morning to a bug infested outhouse to enjoy my morning constitutional
I agree! That is the absolute best feature of our TT as I can't wait until morning to make that trip to the bathroom.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #36

No Quality control

They canít possibly have any quality control inspectors at the rv assembly plant. If they did then campers would be built better. My 2016 Flagstaff had a bunch of poor quality problems. I have a speaker for the dvd system that is behind a door that is screwed closed you can barely hear it. So I cut a hole and put a speaker grill in the door and duh I can hear it now. also had all kinds of crap behind there they didnít even clean the cut outs or the pieces of wire had scraps of wood very poor workmanship.
Franko916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #37

Piece of crap

I totally agree, I bought a new 2011 Lexington,it was a total piece of crap,nothing but problems, coach step, fridge,AC, stove etc. Finally gave up and sold it and felt guilty about it. I would never buy another FR product,and would recommend the same to anyone I know.
janke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #38

Just my opinion but the dealers usually do more damage as they sit on the lot. Iíve seen some sitting out all winternwithnthenslidenout covered in snow. Dealers donít really care much and they spend little time taking care of the units before they are sold. The paperwork may as well say ďas isĒ.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkeese View Post
Time for a little rant. Hopefully the big wigs at Forest River will see this and take a look at their lack of quality on select models.

It has been a year since we bought our Wildcat 322 TBI. I wish all my comments about it could be positive but I am afraid that is not the case. Due to school and other commitments I was not able to take the trailer out more than three times which means it did not get a good shake down. During each one I have found problems that should not be in a trailer that cost over $30K. Here is the list of everything that I am not happy about. Some are minor but all are annoying.

And before you start screaming warranty, I live quite a long ways from the dealer I bought it from and the local Forest River dealer does not have a great reputation with their service department.

1. Heater does not force air to the front of the trailer. Amount of air coming from the floor duct is not enough to blow out a match. (I know because I tried.) Back of the trailer area where the heater is installed will get to 90 degrees before the front reaches 60 degrees.
2. Stove rubber bumpers missing. I have a towel under the glass to keep it from breaking.
3. Hot water heater came very close to falling from its perch. Whoever installed it either missed the legs with the screws or hit it at a wrong angle and split the support boards. I had to rebrace the legs with L-brackets to keep it stable.
4. The wall outlets are not braced from the back side. It feels like they opted for the cheap route. I cringe every time any plug is pulled from the wall. The lack of support allows the wall to bow out. It is probably only a matter of time before one is pulled out of the wall.
5. This is cosmetic but still aggravating. The mount screws for the fender covers are installed to tightly. The edge of each hole is cracked.
Gary, you ain't seen problems yet, this is nothing.

Nt 45' motorhome, in the shop at least one week per month the first year. This was not a lot rig, it was ordered by my wife, brand new.

150 gal diesel tank ONLY had the first 100 gal available, left me stranded in the middle of NO WHERE I 10 in lower W Tex

Oi lpan/drain plug was BELOW the frame, left it on a driveway right after we bought it, cost $5000 to fix. With LUCK the engine shut down due to low oil pressure, had it not it was a $25k rebuild according to the dealer, 505HP/1745 lb Torque diesel This was the last straw, made the dealer buy it back.

That only scratches the surfaces of major problems with that.

My brand new 2016 Jayco Eagle HT, seem they forgot to seal the top seam where the front cap meet the box. So in a rain storm the front cap filled with water and we had water spraying out of the electrical outlets. Jayco's 2 yr warranty was not even got for 2 months, they denied the claim saying it was MY FAULT for not seeing that the seam would leak and reporting to the dealer/Jayco.

Sold it at a $10k loss. And this barely scratches the surface of the Jayco problems almost all were denied by Jayco. I spent several thousand out of my own pocket getting things fixed on that new Jayco.

I know many people that have spent far more money and dealt with far more problems than I have.

So far my FR CC 5th has had its share of issues and FR gave me the name of a local shop that was on their list of fix its, and we pay up front to the shop and then back bill FR with the Invoices. They have approved 100% and sent a check promptly.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:36 PM   #40

Yes, RV's come with some challenges but they are also quite an affordable and comfortable way to get away from the daily grind and make it possible to escape the rat race that so may folks are trapped in. We have owned many RV's, motor homes and trailers. Only one was new. I enjoy making them better, adding features and making repairs. I learn a lot in the process. Last project was installing a washer/dryer combo. I have found that there is a creative solution to every problem that I discover. Dealers and RV builders often over promise and under deliver. Pass 'em by, get a pre-owned unit, expect to tinker and have fun with it! Life is too short to stress out over the little things.
25TTRuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river