RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
pjones1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseekersightseeers View Post
Okay, this is my 1st post, so pleeze b kind... We just bought a new FR Sunseeker motor home; love it. But... (can't believe we didn't notice on walk-thru!) on 1st trip, I'm sitting on floor, playing w/dogs & notice nearly entire underside of kitchen counter is chipped, scratched, jagged, etc. When I run my finger along edge, it cuts me! So, I immed. call warranty & also send pics! "No prob, we'll order u a new one 2day, we'll call u, but give us at least 3-4 wks, etc & you'll need 2 leave RV here 4 about a week & we'll fix everything at once (about 10 super little things) Industry standard on any parts is 2-3 wks, by the way. So, I call FRiver. Super nice guy calls me back & informs me that ZERO parts have been ordered (yet, we were told on walk-thru, that they'd ALREADY ordered a bunch of little stuff, that was missing (cargo net, towel bar, soap dish, etc). So, I then call warranty woman back (who, of course is on vacation), so I ask for her mgr, Sue. Sue is rather rude, asks me a few questions, says she needs to talk to someone, & will c.b. About an hour later, I get a super nice email from her, stating that my "new counter is on order," all happy, like. So, I call FRiver back, to discover she had literally just called, & ordered it! I DON'T want to piss off the dealer/warranty people (yet!), but am now concerned at 1) how long it's gonna take to get the stupid counter in and 2) assume I will then need to make appt, & leave motor home there for a week (how long will it take to get said appt?!) Dealer has LIED to us TWICE now (regarding not ordering stuff they've been telling us they did), hence my concerns... I HOPE this makes sense. Appreciate any advice. THANKS
I would not take it back to any dealer, your 1 week will turn into 6 with more lies and frustration, call FR and see if you can get that countertop shipped directly to you then talk to the them to see if they will approve an independent to come to you or do it yourself.
__________________
2011 Puma Unleashed 27SBU - SOLD
2013 Sabre 32bhok-6 - SOLD
2012 Ford F250 6.2 - SOLD
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,617
Our dealer has always been great to work with and does exactly what they say that they are going to do. Unfortunately that is not the case with many dealers.

As I mentioned before RVs are built with the same quality (or lack of) that they were 35 years ago.


__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #63
Erinn
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: GORGEOUS Three Rivers, Central Oregon
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
I would not take it back to any dealer, your 1 week will turn into 6 with more lies and frustration, call FR and see if you can get that countertop shipped directly to you then talk to the them to see if they will approve an independent to come to you or do it yourself.
THAT is EXCELLENT advice; calling FR first thing Monday! THANKS
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseekersightseeers View Post
And... regarding the RV industry putting out junk - In 2017, RVs manufactured in the US alone, were up more than 17% from 2016. And, guess what?! 2018's numbers are expected to be 20% higher, still! The manufacturers are barely keeping up w/demand. I also read that the #1 reason is cuz so many older folks are suddenly unable to make their mortgage and/or rent payments (largely due to the steady increases in prescription meds!), so they literally sell everything, buy an RV & live in it. Sad, but apparently true.

2018 Forest River Sunseeker Class C 2420MS Motor Home (3.5 weeks old)
(We WANTED to buy used, but 2018 1st year they made this model, which we LOVE), so...
I'm a little confused here. 1st don't believe everything that you read. But 2nd, if this were the case how can someone sell a 35K or 50K home, sell everything and afford an RV. RVing is not cheap. Maybe in some areas not here.


__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,724
Send a message via AIM to B and B
I find all these posts about junky $30k RV being this and that. That RV in Canada is worth $50k by the time exchange and taxes factor in.

I owned 2 FR RV's. The Travel Trailer was a nightmare, Super Slide failed trip 1 and never did work right. The TV elevator fell off the wall prior to this trip, not a big deal I just fixed it. We traded the trailer 13 months later with a failed slide waiting for more Schwintek parts. Bought a Fifth Wheel, after the axles had a lift kit installed to stop the tires from rubbing was relatively major problem free. Traded that after 4 years due to the hot resale market for $7k less than what we paid.

We are in our second season with our high end SOB Fifth Wheel. 65 days last year and at 72 days this year. We have had a slide adjustment on the living room to make the floor level, maybe 1/2 inch lower. Thats it. Nothing else. I have cleaned up some small issues, adjusted cabinet doors. Things like tap connections and tightening water heater connections are maintenance things to look after.


You get what you pay for. Buy something less costly expect issues. Like buying flank steak expecting a prime cut tenderness and flavour with well marbelled beef. Sometimes the Flank steak is very tasty but often show leather.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,617
We have had two Pumas one $18K and one $29K fifth wheel toyhauler. By far the most trouble free trailers that we have ever owned. Not even a problem with the China Bomb tires lasted 5 years no problems . Can't say our older Terry's were trouble free though......

So far the Wildwood has been fine too............



__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #67
Erinn
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: GORGEOUS Three Rivers, Central Oregon
Posts: 134
[QUOTE=Oaklevel;1933787]I'm a little confused here. 1st don't believe everything that you read. But 2nd, if this were the case how can someone sell a 35K or 50K home, sell everything and afford an RV. RVing is not cheap. Maybe in some areas not here.


I'm confused now, as well. First, I've never heard of a house selling for $35K, or $50K, (Seriously?! At least not in CA, OR or WA!), and someone can purchase a decent travel trailer (as well as a vehicle to pull it with), for less than that.
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
[QUOTE=Sunseekersightseeers;1933854]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I'm a little confused here. 1st don't believe everything that you read. But 2nd, if this were the case how can someone sell a 35K or 50K home, sell everything and afford an RV. RVing is not cheap. Maybe in some areas not here.


I'm confused now, as well. First, I've never heard of a house selling for $35K, or $50K, (Seriously?! At least not in CA, OR or WA!), and someone can purchase a decent travel trailer (as well as a vehicle to pull it with), for less than that.
Come to Rockford, IL. We've got 135 of them!

http://rockfordarearealtors.org/inde...misc2.le.50000

Do a similar exercise in your town; I'll bet you'll be surprised.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,617
[QUOTE=rockfordroo;1933857]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseekersightseeers View Post

Come to Rockford, IL. We've got 135 of them!

Rockford Area Realtors - Houses

Do a similar exercise in your town; I'll bet you'll be surprised.
There are many homes in this area (SW Virginia) For Sale for $15K and under. My home town Galesburg Il had a house on ebay recently starting at $3,500. (Yes $3500 I think it sold for that) My point is how can you sell a $15K home and afford to buy an RV and go full timing.

As you mentioned this is not a rare occurrence.
__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I'm a little confused here. 1st don't believe everything that you read. But 2nd, if this were the case how can someone sell a 35K or 50K home, sell everything and afford an RV. RVing is not cheap. Maybe in some areas not here.


[QUOTE=rockfordroo;1933857]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseekersightseeers View Post

Come to Rockford, IL. We've got 135 of them!

Rockford Area Realtors - Houses

Do a similar exercise in your town; I'll bet you'll be surprised.
[QUOTE=Oaklevel;1933880]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

There are many homes in this area (SW Virginia) For Sale for $15K and under. My home town Galesburg Il had a house on ebay recently starting at $3,500. (Yes $3500 I think it sold for that) My point is how can you sell a $15K home and afford to buy an RV and go full timing.

As you mentioned this is not a rare occurrence.
You were initially questioning $35K or $50K. Don't know why you went down to $15K.

Here are 25 in your area at $35-50K.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

3 for under $15K

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,617
[QUOTE=rockfordroo;1934358][QUOTE=rockfordroo;1933857]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

You were initially questioning $35K or $50K. Don't know why you went down to $15K.

Here are 25 in your area at $35-50K.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

3 for under $15K

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

I guess that I am not understanding your point ??????

oh ya and.........Estimated median household income in 2016: $26,999 (it was $28,359 in 2000) for my zip code.

My point was and is how can all these old people be selling their homes because of not being able to pay high prescription cost and house payments and buying RVs to full time as what was quoted. When full time RVing probably costs more than what they can get out of their homes......... by the way I'm not old I'm only 61

as quoted..................

"Originally Posted by Sunseekersightseeers View Post
And... regarding the RV industry putting out junk - In 2017, RVs manufactured in the US alone, were up more than 17% from 2016. And, guess what?! 2018's numbers are expected to be 20% higher, still! The manufacturers are barely keeping up w/demand. I also read that the #1 reason is """""""""cuz so many older folks are suddenly unable to make their mortgage and/or rent payments (largely due to the steady increases in prescription meds!), so they literally sell everything, buy an RV & live in it. Sad, but apparently true.""""""""""""
__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
[QUOTE=Oaklevel;1934375][QUOTE=rockfordroo;1934358]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post




I guess that I am not understanding your point ??????

oh ya and.........Estimated median household income in 2016: $26,999 (it was $28,359 in 2000) for my zip code.

My point was and is how can all these old people be selling their homes because of not being able to pay high prescription cost and house payments and buying RVs to full time as what was quoted. When full time RVing probably costs more than what they can get out of their homes......... by the way I'm not old I'm only 61

as quoted..................

"Originally Posted by Sunseekersightseeers View Post
And... regarding the RV industry putting out junk - In 2017, RVs manufactured in the US alone, were up more than 17% from 2016. And, guess what?! 2018's numbers are expected to be 20% higher, still! The manufacturers are barely keeping up w/demand. I also read that the #1 reason is """""""""cuz so many older folks are suddenly unable to make their mortgage and/or rent payments (largely due to the steady increases in prescription meds!), so they literally sell everything, buy an RV & live in it. Sad, but apparently true.""""""""""""
I was only questioning your house price. You quoted "35K or 50K" in Post #64 and when I showed you some in Post #68, you dropped it to $15K in Post #69 with no explanation.

I took you post to mean you didn't have any 35-50K houses in your area. Maybe that's not what you meant, but still doesn't explain why you went from 35-50K to 15K.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,617
My only point is whether a house is $10 or $50K or whatever, how can a study say if a person can't afford their house payment or meds that they selling all and are buying RVs and full timing, making RV sales go up. It just did not may sense.


__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forest river

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.