RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #1

First Freeze

I did some searching and found some answers but still want to make sure I get this right. First freeze Monday night and we'll be in the trailer for it. 22FBS MicroLite (24'). Have enclosed underbelly and tank heaters. Electric fireplace.

What do we need to do for a 23 degree night? I plan to do the following:

- Furnace on/ ready
- Low drain points emptied
- City water disconnected
- Tank heaters on

Do I need to empty hot water tank? What about outside shower, how do I prevent that from breaking? What about my fresh water hose with filter on it?

We're in it so winterizing doesn't make sense. We'll see another 30-ish day later in the week and we won't be in the trailer. Plan to have the cabinets open, tank heaters on, fireplace on. We'll be back in it in 2-3 weeks so if we can avoid winterizing...

As always, thanks for the tips!
DerbyBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #2

Sounds like you've got a good plan. I'm hoping that when you opened the low point drains, you opened all the faucets (including the shower). That should protect the lines. Another approach would be to buy a small air compressor (you might already have one on hand to inflate tires) and blow out the lines with under 50psi.
Drain that fresh water hose, and put it in a warm location. It should be fine as long as it warms above freezing during the day.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Did you turn off the WH before you drained?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

I haven't done anything yet - freeze is Monday night and I'm still living in it. Will be living in it Monday night too. Thought about just turning on faucets to drip overnight - will that suffice? Would have to do outside shower too I assume.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyBailey View Post
I did some searching and found some answers but still want to make sure I get this right. First freeze Monday night and we'll be in the trailer for it. 22FBS MicroLite (24'). Have enclosed underbelly and tank heaters. Electric fireplace.

What do we need to do for a 23 degree night? I plan to do the following:

- Furnace on/ ready
- Low drain points emptied
- City water disconnected
- Tank heaters on

Do I need to empty hot water tank? What about outside shower, how do I prevent that from breaking? What about my fresh water hose with filter on it?

We're in it so winterizing doesn't make sense. We'll see another 30-ish day later in the week and we won't be in the trailer. Plan to have the cabinets open, tank heaters on, fireplace on. We'll be back in it in 2-3 weeks so if we can avoid winterizing...

As always, thanks for the tips!

For the nights you'll be in it, you don't have to worry too much. Are your "tank heaters" actual heating pads attached to the holding tanks? Or, is it just advertised as insulated & heated underbelly?

For the nights you will be in it & if they are heating pads (like I have), turn them on. Then, I would just put some water in the FW tank & disconnect and drain the FW hose & filter. Use your onboard pump for water overnight & in the morning until it warms up again. No need to drain the water heater if you leave it on while there also.

For the days/nights you won't be there, I would drain everything including the water heater, low point drains & all holding tanks just to be safe. Probably not necessary to winterize it because you say it may only get into the low 30's for a short period of time.

I don't like the idea of leaving the fireplace going while you're not there (turn as much electrical stuff off when left unattended for any length of time). I would much rather set the furnace thermostat to around 45 - 50 degrees & let it cycle to keep the RV above freezing. Leaving the cabinets open around plumbing will also get you through the few days you won't be there without completely winterizing.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
For the nights you'll be in it, you don't have to worry too much. Are your "tank heaters" actual heating pads attached to the holding tanks? Or, is it just advertised as insulated & heated underbelly?

For the nights you will be in it & if they are heating pads (like I have), turn them on. Then, I would just put some water in the FW tank & disconnect and drain the FW hose & filter. Use your onboard pump for water overnight & in the morning until it warms up again. No need to drain the water heater if you leave it on while there also.

For the days/nights you won't be there, I would drain everything including the water heater, low point drains & all holding tanks just to be safe. Probably not necessary to winterize it because you say it may only get into the low 30's for a short period of time.

I don't like the idea of leaving the fireplace going while you're not there (turn as much electrical stuff off when left unattended for any length of time). I would much rather set the furnace thermostat to around 45 - 50 degrees & let it cycle to keep the RV above freezing. Leaving the cabinets open around plumbing will also get you through the few days you won't be there without completely winterizing.
Actual heating pads. There's another 29 degree might showing at the end of the week when we'll be gone. How long could a furnace set that low last before propane runs out? BTW, my mother in law is in her house just a few yards from the trailer. Was thinking of having her turn on fireplace at night and off in the mornings when it's danger cold.

Any concerns with the outside shower? Seems extremely exposed. Or will using the pump alleviate that?
Old 11-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Actual heating pads. There's another 29 degree might showing at the end of the week when we'll be gone. How long could a furnace set that low last before propane runs out? BTW, my mother in law is in her house just a few yards from the trailer. Was thinking of having her turn on fireplace at night and off in the mornings when it's danger cold.

Any concerns with the outside shower? Seems extremely exposed. Or will using the pump alleviate that?
If the propane tanks are full & both open (the regulator should automatically switch when one runs empty) you should easily be able to go more that a week or so with the heat set low.

As for the outside shower. If you open both hot & cold when you drain the low points, it should suck the faucet dry enough to not be an issue. That & the fact that you'll have heat inside will keep the plumbing lines warm enough.

I didn't know you had a relative close by to check on things so it's up to you. But, I still would not keep the fireplace on overnight. Probably would be OK but, my peace of mind I don't like leaving high draw electrical appliances on unattended.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #8

If you will be opening the low point drains and faucets be sure and turn off water heater. When I drain through the low point drains with faucets open it also drains the water heater. Could lose the heating element if left powered on.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
If you will be opening the low point drains and faucets be sure and turn off water heater. When I drain through the low point drains with faucets open it also drains the water heater. Could lose the heating element if left powered on.

X2 Yup. No need to leave water heater on when not being used for a while.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #10

Now it looks like a couple of days into the upper 20s overnight this week. Change anything? Might buy compressor to blow out lines Tue AM before we leave.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Now it looks like a couple of days into the upper 20s overnight this week. Change anything? Might buy compressor to blow out lines Tue AM before we leave.

No. As long as you drained the low points & if it's going to warm to above freezing during the day, you're OK. It would take several hours of prolonged freezing temps. to cause damage. And since you plan on leaving some heat on....no problem.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #12

Ok, thanks. First hard freeze night the furnace did more work than the fireplace. Tanks drained, hot water drained, low points drained. Mother in law ready to turn on furnace and tank heaters at next cold snap.