Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #1

Floor issue new 2021

Hello,

I have a TT 2021 33TS. We purchased mid august and noticed on our second trip (September) the entire main floor from entry to bathroom squeaked as you walked on it. We also found a slight ridge in the floor near the bathroom. It is minimal but it is there. You can take a level to it and notice the difference.

After the TT went to the dealer service department it was determined it had to go back to factory for repair. The thought was the sub floor came loose from the frame. We took the camper back to the factory repair shop, 2 hours north of us, and they informed us our flooring was fine and no repair was needed. They determined the ridge was due to the sub floor tongue and groove being “offset” causing a gap and ridge. This to them is only cosmetic and no repair is needed. When I asked if this was a common finding they did agree it was not, however they will not repair because it’s only “cosmetic”. I was under the impression tongue and grooves are to keep the floor rigid and flat, and this would prove the floor may not be. Now I believe the entire main floor squeaky may have something to do with this but I feel they would never admit that. They admit the squeaky floor is a common finding among campers.

So questions for everyone or anyone:

1. I understand squeaks and creaks are a part of a moving home, but this early? And this large? It’s not just a squeak, it’s every step from the entry door through the kitchen to the bathroom.
2. The ridge seems to me to be a defect they should fix. They won’t fix it because they can’t without ripping the entire camper off the frame, but they won’t admit that. So would this be considered a lemon and a new camper should be issued?
3. If I decide to fix this on my own because they won’t. What would you do?

Thanks.
Lemon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Have no idea what brand a 33TS is, but I would be contacting your brand's division. Since you live in the same state where they're manufacturered, I would request it be returned to the factory for repair. Would help if your dealer also agreed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon123 View Post
So questions for everyone or anyone:

1. I understand squeaks and creaks are a part of a moving home, but this early? And this large? It’s not just a squeak, it’s every step from the entry door through the kitchen to the bathroom.
2. The ridge seems to me to be a defect they should fix. They won’t fix it because they can’t without ripping the entire camper off the frame, but they won’t admit that. So would this be considered a lemon and a new camper should be issued?
3. If I decide to fix this on my own because they won’t. What would you do?

Thanks.
It would help to know what rv you actually purchased. 33TS is a model number for more than one rv.
1. Tongue and groove does tend to squeak no matter where it's installed. We have it in our home and a rug is the only thing that quiets it down. I didn't know they used tongue and groove in trailers.
2. I have no idea if it's a lemon although by your user name, you consider it one. If you have to use a level to prove it's not level, is it that noticeable?
3. I wouldn't touch the floor. If they can't do it easily, you probably won't be able to repair it easily. How would you go about fixing it?
Old 01-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #4

Reverse_snowbird Thank you for your reply. Yes I would consider it a lemon unless they can prove to me all the other models have the same issue. It’s a Salem 33ts, I don’t know it by any other name. I’m really not sure how to fix it. I would assume screws need to placed through the subfloor into the frame to stop the squeak. But unless they are driven from the bottom up, they will ruin the flooring they placed over the wood. So new flooring would need to be placed over the old flooring once screws are driven.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #5

Bikendan - Thank you for your reply. Yes the dealer agreed it needed repaired. But once it went to factory, they determined it did not. And is refusing to fix anything.

Tags
floor