Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #1

Floor repair. (glue suggestion styrofoam)

Hi all,

First post here. I recently bought a 2006 FR Surveyor sv291. I knew it needed repair in the bathroom area. The floor was wet under the linoleum. I have removed the lino, the lauan and am down to the white styrofoam. I will be purchasing some new lauan today and still have not found a suitable adhesive for the lauan to styrofoam bond. This needs to be a strong bond since the lamination creates the strength in the floor as you all know. What the manufacturer uses seems to be a flexible glue, almost like a rubber cement. The area of concern is mainly in the bathroom area. The leak source has definitely been found and repaired. Just need to get the proper adhesive.... can't wait to camp in this thing, we moved up from a popup. Great forum I have already learned a ton here.

Thanks John
giff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #2

Make sure that the adhesive is compatible with the foam, some adhesives will disolve it. Before you glue it down make sure that you will have a bunch of weights that you put over the new plywood so that it bonds properly. I did a repair for a friend of mine a few years ago and we used a foam board adhesive. We were able to buy it in the tube form and by the bucket, we used a notched trowel to spread the glue, layed the plywood down and rolled it with an underlayment roller (its a heavy rolling pin about 60 lbs). We then layed pre-cut 2x6 over the floor and added weights on top of that until the glue dried, we waited 3 days. Good luck
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #3

Thanks yvesm. Did you use someghing like Loctite PL300?

I did a quick search and this came up, I can get it at my local HD. I like the suggestion for the weight to get it to bond well. It seems like getting this whole thing prepped and ready is going to be most of the work.

Thanks again,
John
Old 05-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

Yep, something like that, make sure that there is enough adhesive to create a good bond between the foam and the plywood.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

I have used PL300 a few times with very good results. Just follow the directions.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

where was the leak from? I am having the same problem!
bigbloom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #7

sidewall and vanity

I believe most of it was from the vanity, leaky plumbing. I removed the darn filter that was under there. The camper was delaminating from the back corner too.
Unfortunately once the delamination starts, there is no stopping it. I fixed the floor twice because of the issue. I learned my lesson and sold the camper. I moved to a Keystone Springdale aluminum sided.....been happy ever since. Not trying to bash Forest River, it was great while it lasted and nice and light too. It was disappointing because even when fixed there was always a smell associated with the bathroom of mold. I think the walls absorbed a lot of water and the underside of the Styrofoam too.
Not to discourage you but it is a big job to tear into especially if you let it go too long, I bought mine that way not knowing any better. Hope you find the source of the leak and can get it taken care of quick.

For those that may come to this thread thinking of buying a fixer upper or one that shows even the slightest signs of delamination....PASS on the deal no matter how good it is.... I did not loose a lot of money on it but countless hours repairing and worrying about getting it right. If I had not done all the work myself it would have been way too expensive to fix.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #8

Thank you for responding. Before reading this I had taken half the unit apart already. I removed the kitchen, closet, bathroom vanity and toilet. I agree it isn't a big job so far. I did the same thing as you bought it not knowing any better. Oh well I will continue to try and repair it thanks again!!
bigbloom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wow, getting help from the OP of a thread that is almost 5yrs old!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote