Old 11-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

Fresh water tank

I have a 2017 coachman Chaparral lite with a 40 gal fresh water tank Im having an issue with losing water somehow. They say if you’ve over filled it and you see water running out of the overflow you can damage the system. How is that possible and how can that damage the system. I seem to be losing water because the last time I dry camped I ran out of fresh water and shouldn’t have. Does anyone have a cure

Danfrsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
Site Team

On some systems if you over fill the negative air pressure created while driving will cause water to be drawn out of the vent line and you can use some water. This is somewhat rare as the vent line needs to be too far into the tank for this to occur. The other thing you may not be taking into consideration is your actual usable capacity vs what you think you have. Many times manufacturers add the capacity of the WH to that of the FW tank. In addition many times, the suction line is positioned such as to not allow you to use all the water in the FW tank. If you water capacity is 40G do not expect to always get 40G out of the tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #3

Sometimes the position of the overfill hose within the tank can be an issue. There is a remote possibility that once the overfill hose starts running, it may continue to syphon water out of the fw tank. It all depends upon the position of each end of the hose.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #4

Makes sense I definitely check that out thanks
Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #5

I figured I lose about 6 gals due to the water heater and Im going to have to some research on this tank and probably have to get busy and chk out the vent line thanks for the reply
Old 11-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
NXR

I bought one of these for $18 "P3 Save A Drop Water Flow Meter | Measure Gallon Usage From an Outdoor Garden Hose | Helps Conserve Water" and use it on the City Water hose to see how much water we're using on a trip. It helped us cut back quite a bit. I've also used it when filling the fresh water tank to verify its capacity and where the level meters actually change readings. That use may help you figure out how much water you're really putting it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSNPMBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ray

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank