Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #1

Fresh Water tank and antifreeze

I'll try to keep this as short as I can. I bought a 2015 Forest River Wildwood 27RBXL in August and this is my first rig. I bought the kit to hook to the pump to pull antifreeze from the jug to winterize for convenience and two gallons of RV antifreeze but hadn't installed it yet. A well intentioned friend stopped by to help me winterize. I got distracted with a phone call for a bit and when I returned I found him standing there with two empty jugs and a funnel. Yep you guessed it, he poured it all into the fresh water tank. I only use that tank for sinks, shower, and toilet. Tried to use the pump to get it out and got nothing but froth. Opened what I thought was the fresh water tank drain valve in front of the axles and not a drop came out. The low point drains are dry as well. How in the world can I get two gallons out of the fresh water tank? Maybe there is another valve I'm not finding? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #2

This isn't too bad. Start putting fresh water in the fresh water tank with the FW holding tank drain open. Many FW holding tanks will leave a gallon or two of water in them that won't drain because of the drain location. Similarly, the pump can't pull the last few gallons in the FW tank. Continue flushing till you see no pink. In the spring make sure you sanitize FW tank.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Maybe the anti-freeze went into the water heater. Did the pump transfer the AF into the heater? Remove the plug/anode rod and see.

sgtlm17 has a possible explanation, too.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Maybe the anti-freeze went into the water heater. Did the pump transfer the AF into the heater? Remove the plug/anode rod and see.

sgtlm17 has a possible explanation, too.
Thankfully I had already switched everything to bypass and drained the tank, but that is something to keep in mind. Thank you, much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
This isn't too bad. Start putting fresh water in the fresh water tank with the FW holding tank drain open. Many FW holding tanks will leave a gallon or two of water in them that won't drain because of the drain location. Similarly, the pump can't pull the last few gallons in the FW tank. Continue flushing till you see no pink. In the spring make sure you sanitize FW tank.
I did not know this. You would think a drain valve would drain all contents. Guess I'll just flush and drain for a while. Thank you for the info, much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #6

Maybe leave it as is for the winter and flush/sanitize in the Spring.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

There was a thread earlier this week where someone put 6 gallons in his FW tank and all he got was froth from his faucets. He thought he needed the 6 gallons to protect the water heater.

Just so you know it will take 1, maybe 2 fill-ups of your FW tank to dilute the AF enough so you don't feel the stickiness AF leaves in the water.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
Maybe leave it as is for the winter and flush/sanitize in the Spring.
I may just do that. After all, no one drinks from that tank.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
There was a thread earlier this week where someone put 6 gallons in his FW tank and all he got was froth from his faucets. He thought he needed the 6 gallons to protect the water heater.

Just so you know it will take 1, maybe 2 fill-ups of your FW tank to dilute the AF enough so you don't feel the stickiness AF leaves in the water.
Another bit of knowledge, did not know residual antifreeze would be sticky. Great forum and great knowledge on this site.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #10

I'd try leaning the trailer toward the FW drain. Drive it up onto boards on the side opposite the drain. You may need 6" of lean to get anything. Also run the tongue jack up or down if the drain is on the front or rear of your tank. Try catching the good stuff in a bottle...

To flush the FW tank. Put in a bunch of water in the tank and open the drain. Do it several times to water down the anti-freeze. Probably easier than running it all thru the trailer and into your waste tanks.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:25 AM   #11
Just as confused as you

Take a good look at the tanks drain valve, you might be able to remove it so it flushes faster.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:04 AM   #12

Is there an option / method for dealing with winter temps ( I'm in Maryland ) if you want to do some camping through the winter?
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:57 AM   #13

You could keep the rig winterized and use bottled water for drinking and washing up and flushing. Shower in the campgrounds facilities.

You can drain the black water and grey water and pour antifreeze in the drains at the end of your camping trip. If you need more water in your tanks for flushing, you could run a water hose through the door or window to put water in the sink and toilet.

Not the best solution perhaps....
Old 11-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post

When will people stop thinking and start reading?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanm View Post
Is there an option / method for dealing with winter temps ( I'm in Maryland ) if you want to do some camping through the winter?
A lot depends on the type of camper you have. Some like mine have a heated basement...only if the furnace is on. I've camped four days at 20 degrees. Called FR and they said my model was good to zero degrees. Of course, you better have access to a lot of propane! If your water lines are in the basement and it's not heated, be careful. Even worse, when you're moving down the highways, heat is rapidly pulled out of the vehicle by the flow of air around the whole camper.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanm View Post
Bottled water. Keep it in the shower in case it freezes and leaks.

Connect your sewer hose to sewer or blue boy and leave the gray water outlet open. This prevents water from freezing in the pipe or valve and cracking it.

We have never had a problem with using the toilet. Must be enough salt in our waste. We rinse the bowl after using with a tiny bit of water.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #17

Quote:
"A well intentioned friend"
Aren't they all?

My Grandmother told me "You have friends for, not despite, their faults". I've always tried to live by that and it seems to have worked so far.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #18
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardDog View Post
I may just do that. After all, no one drinks from that tank.
The longer you leave it in there, the harder it will be to get it rinsed out. The Propylene Glycol seems to want to bond to the plastic polymers in the FW tank over time. Even though you may not drink out of it, the smell will still be there. Then there's sanitization. You will want to sanitize the tank and your water lines after the winter.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Bottled water. Keep it in the shower in case it freezes and leaks.

Connect your sewer hose to sewer or blue boy and leave the gray water outlet open. This prevents water from freezing in the pipe or valve and cracking it.

We have never had a problem with using the toilet. Must be enough salt in our waste. We rinse the bowl after using with a tiny bit of water.

Larry
We flush in winter with pink stuff.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #20

Only works if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
We flush in winter with pink stuff.
Only works if you put "pink stuff" in the fresh water tank.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank