Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #21
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Pop that screen out...very easy to do!

Try without it and also with one of these filler tubes posted above.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #22

For sure I am using the correct connection. The vote is inaccurate.

Sadly, it doesn’t sound like anyone else has owned an HG and can give a first hand experience on having this issue. Our only solution will be to wait the hours it take to fill until we can get back to our dealer in February.

Thank you for your help everyone.
Yogalebrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Pop that screen out...very easy to do!

Try without it and also with one of these filler tubes posted above.
Hi John, notice the mesh screen in the photo I haven’t been able to get it out. I can’t get anything into the tank and it is pressure fill, not gravity fill.

We are headed to Yuma today by coincidence are you at Imperial Dam?
Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
X2. Reading on FR’s site, it says the docking station is only on the 5ers and the OP has a TT. Makes me wonder if they are trying to fill through the “city water” connection and just not understanding the proper way to fill their tank, but then it shouldn’t fill the tank at all if the pump check valves are working right and the winterizing valve isn’t in a weird position. Really curious to see their setup.
See my photo. I definitely know my way around TT’s and trucks and cars. I’m hoping to find someone who has a HG and had a similar issue. I am using the fresh connection.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogalebrity View Post
For sure I am using the correct connection. The vote is inaccurate.

Sadly, it doesn’t sound like anyone else has owned an HG and can give a first hand experience on having this issue. Our only solution will be to wait the hours it take to fill until we can get back to our dealer in February.

Thank you for your help everyone.
My post was being typed at the same time you posted the photos...
Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Hi John, notice the mesh screen in the photo I haven’t been able to get it out. I can’t get anything into the tank and it is pressure fill, not gravity fill.

We are headed to Yuma today by coincidence are you at Imperial Dam?
No...Araby Acres RV Resort...
Old 11-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #27

Is that other connection to the left the city water connection?

And does it have a screen in it?

I ask this as several of the labels on my 5'ver were backwards and on the wrong connection.

The dealers typically put these labels on...not the factory.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #28
Site Team

The most likely scenario is that the hose between the panel and the tank is kinked.

Can you pull that panel loose enough to see behind it a bit. You may find the kink and can straighten it out enough to use.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #29

Check your water tank vent hose.
In some units they put vent connection just by the water filling connection in the middle of the tank wall.
That leads to a situation where when the water level reaches that level, there is no were for the air to escape and then the water can't go in.
If you tank is like mine, 1/2 means 1/3 so you end up with only 1/3 of the tank capacity.
to solve that you need to relocate the vent connection to the top of the tank or add another vent to the tank which the connection will be at the top....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Check your water tank vent hose.
In some units they put vent connection just by the water filling connection in the middle of the tank wall.
That leads to a situation where when the water level reaches that level, there is no were for the air to escape and then the water can't go in.
If you tank is like mine, 1/2 means 1/3 so you end up with only 1/3 of the tank capacity.
to solve that you need to relocate the vent connection to the top of the tank or add another vent to the tank which the connection will be at the top....
Thank you! Yes, the vent hoses are at the bottom of the trailer. I can’t see where they’d are located on the tank because they are completely enclosed. I tried opening the sinks and then also and separately running the water a little to try and get the air to go that direction.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #31

The pick up for the tank is at the bottom so that will not help to eliminate the air, which is at the top.
Opening the faucets will only take water to be able to get more water in.... you need to eliminate air.
If your tank is at the back of the trailer, you should have a L shape plastic piece that screws to the frame and holds the end of the enclosure sheet at the end of the trailer, close to the rear bumper.
If you take those screws, you can drop the enclosure sheet end w/o damaging it and check the water tank connections.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Thank you! Yes, the vent hoses are at the bottom of the trailer.
Those are not vent hoses...but the fresh water tank overflow tubes!

They won't work as vents.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #33

Thank you! I will try that to open the enclosure and see what happens! I didn’t know I could acess it that way. That is helpful information.

We don’t run the water while we fill, only tried opening the facets to see if the air would escape that way.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #34

Quote:

Then I can’t find the vents and Forest River HQ couldn’t help with their location. Maybe that’s the problem, maybe there isn’t one.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #35

Again...what is that other water fill connection on the left in the photo (I know the label says City Connection)?

Old 11-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #36

I vote for mislabeled water connections. The one labeled fresh water tank does not have a air hole vent. Also the cap on the one labeled city water looks more like a fresh water tank cover. Is there an air vent hole in the one labeled city water?
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #37

I have a HG 282RK and my setup is same as yours. The screen is a basic hose screen to keep debris out. The fresh water has one as well as the black tank flush. On mine there are two white "pipes' near the steps. One has a valve on it, that's the fresh water drain. The other is the fresh water vent. You can drop the cover as said previously. My money is on a kinked or clogged "pipe". Contact the factory and they can tell you where the tank is located. They were very helpful and timely when I had specific questions.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #38
Just as confused as you

Quote:

The overflow tubes are the vent tubes. Why would FR install two separate tubes to accomplish the same thing? Everyone knows how they like to save money. The vent tubes do not come from the top (or roof if you prefer). Vent tubes are attached to the upper side of the tank as in OP's picture.

Only in the black and gray tanks are the vents attached to the top.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The overflow tubes are the vent tubes. Why would FR install two separate tubes to accomplish the same thing? Everyone knows how they like to save money. The vent tubes do not come from the top (or roof if you prefer). Vent tubes are attached to the upper side of the tank as in OP's picture.
Let's see...

My current 5'ver has two overflow tubes...one on each side...

My previous TT had two overflow tubes...one on each side...

The one before that...two overflow tubes...one on each side...

So does almost every other RV with a large fresh water tank on the face of the planet!

Overflow tubes typically point down, which would prevent the air from venting freely.

And only one overflow tube will not work as it would almost always create a siphon and drain the water out when full!

The vent tube, as you call it, would have to be higher and typically along the water-in path (easiest way to run it) to work correctly.

A lot of the new campers have gotten away from the separate vent tube and have gone to a bigger water inlet tube to allow the air to escape up the same path that the water is flowing in.

My 5'ver is this way...on the fresh water inlet there is a screen, which I thought was the vent, but I had to replace that this past winter and guess what...NO VENT TUBE ATTACHED TO IT...just a small air opening into the basement of my 5'ver with a screen over it.

Now THAT would be the money-saving thing that a manufacturer might do.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Is that other connection to the left the city water connection?

I ask this as several of the labels on my 5'ver were backwards and on the wrong connection.

The dealers typically put these labels on...not the factory.
I agree. The port with a screen, should be the city water intake and if the other one has no screen, that's probably the FW fill port.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank