RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #41
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I agree. The port with a screen, should be the city water intake and if the other one has no screen, that's probably the FW fill port.
I suppose it is possible that those labels were put on at the factory as they look like a factory label, but it is also highly possible that the two inlets were hooked up to the wrong plumbing at the factory.

Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of that

I'm in agreement that the one on the left probably doesn't have the screen and is actually the fresh water fill.

Or it is possible that for some reason a check valve may have been put on the fresh water fill line.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The overflow tubes are the vent tubes.
Exactly.
On my previous camper while filling the tank I could feel the air coming out of the tank.
On my current camper I could not fill the water tank more than 1/3 and when I dropped the underbelly enclosure I found out that both hoses, the water inlet and the overflow/vent hoses are installed side by side at the BOTTOM of the water tank sidewall so while it is ok for the water inlet to be there, as soon as the water level inside the tank reached the overflow/vent, the air inside the tank would not have were to escape the tank, the pressure would increase and the tank would "overflow" being 1/3 full only....
The overflow/vent should be installed at the top of the tank sidewall not a the bottom to work properly.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #43
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Let's see...

My current 5'ver has two overflow tubes...one on each side...

My previous TT had two overflow tubes...one on each side...

The one before that...two overflow tubes...one on each side...

So does almost every other RV with a large fresh water tank on the face of the planet!

Overflow tubes typically point down, which would prevent the air from venting freely.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. As long as the tube is attached to the highest point of the tank it will act as a vent and an overflow. My previous TT had an open underbelly. It had the large fill port that needed the hose attachment to fill that you show in post #13. The FW tank only had one overfill/vent tube and it made an upside down loop but did not connect to the screened vent on the side of the fill port.

And only one overflow tube will not work as it would almost always create a siphon and drain the water out when full!

There are many threads on this forum complaining of this happening.

The vent tube, as you call it, would have to be higher and typically along the water-in path (easiest way to run it) to work correctly.

The vent tube makes an upward loop like an upside down "U". Not all vent tubes return to the fill connection/opening. Mine definitely doesn't as there isn't a vent on the side of the TT, just like the OP's (see post #19).

A lot of the new campers have gotten away from the separate vent tube and have gone to a bigger water inlet tube to allow the air to escape up the same path that the water is flowing in.

You are wrong with this point. Many new RV's have gone with a direct hose connection as the pictures the OP posted shows. Mine, a 2014, has a direct hose connection and the 1/2" vent hose comes from the upper side and makes a loop upward then back down next to the FW drain. This goes back to other forum members posting about their overflow/vent hose siphoning their tanks while traveling. Like the OP, I can not fill my FW tank with the part you keep advocating.

My 5'ver is this way...on the fresh water inlet there is a screen, which I thought was the vent, but I had to replace that this past winter and guess what...NO VENT TUBE ATTACHED TO IT...just a small air opening into the basement of my 5'ver with a screen over it.

Sounds like you have a gravity fill FW tank just like my previous TT. Not all RV's do.

Now THAT would be the money-saving thing that a manufacturer might do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I agree. The port with a screen, should be the city water intake and if the other one has no screen, that's probably the FW fill port.
Both my city and FW tank fill has screens on them, the only difference is the city water has a check valve.

What I have noticed is the manufacturers do not install a large enough vent. The ideal situation would be to vent the air out faster than the water goes in. For example, if the fill hose is 1/2" the vent should be at least 5/8", if the fill is 5/8" then the vent should be 3/4". With the 1" gravity fill the vent should be the same size.

Where I worked we needed to fill a 800 gallon plastic holding tank that had a 2" vent. It kept blowing the seals around the plumbing connections as long as the 24" diameter inspection hatch was closed. Removing the hatch and covering the opening with stainless mesh solved the problem.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogalebrity View Post
Hi everyone,

We recently purchased a Heritage Glen TT 2018. The fresh water takes literally hours to fill. I canít understand why this would happen. Weíve tried it in multiple cities and locations. We tried opening the faucets. We tried using the pump a little and then leaving the faucets open (to try and get any air out). Thereís a grate that stops you from being able to push anything down the fresh water fill, the hose screws directly into the fill.

I donít think itís the gage because eventually the gage goes to full (after hours) and the tank overflow valves will start leaking.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea how we could fix it? We canít get it to the shop until February and this is November.

Thank you in Advance, Angelica

You might get some help from Forest River videos http://www.forest rivericn.com hope this will help Billy Bob
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
You might get some help from Forest River videos http://www.forest rivericn.com hope this will help Billy Bob
Your link isn't working...
Old 11-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #46

Scrapper...

I'm not going to argue with you...

However, you are still not understanding how the overflow system works.

I'll let someone else chime in on that...
Old 11-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #47
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
Maybe you meant to post this link?

Forest River Inc., A Berkshire Hathaway Company | RVs, Park Models Trailers, Commercial Buses, Commercial Trailers, Pontoons
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Scrapper...

You seem to be misunderstanding physics. There is NO reason why an overflow hose would only allow water overflow out and not allow it to vent air. No reason. It does not matter if the hose is pointing down, air doesn't care if it's up or down.

As long as the pressure from filling the tank is higher than any restriction in the overflow tube then the tank WILL vent air out the overflow until the water level reaches the overflow outlet, at which time water will start coming out instead of air.

You're overthinking it.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #49

ďOverflow tubes typically point down, which would prevent the air from venting freely.Ē

Thatís funny right there, I donít care who you are.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #50
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Scrapper...

I understand perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
You seem to be misunderstanding physics. There is NO reason why an overflow hose would only allow water overflow out and not allow it to vent air. No reason. It does not matter if the hose is pointing down, air doesn't care if it's up or down.

As long as the pressure from filling the tank is higher than any restriction in the overflow tube then the tank WILL vent air out the overflow until the water level reaches the overflow outlet, at which time water will start coming out instead of air.

You're overthinking it.
My thoughts exactly.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I have no way whatsoever of accessing the tank. Itís completely covered as this is a 4 season trailer. If it is a kink, I canít find it, it would have to be serviced. Very frustrating. How does that even happen? Itís brand new.
"How does this happen?" .... simple, ... FR and the RV industry in general uses the cheapest materials, rushed, sub-par assembly and some of the worst workers ... the result? ... an inferior product. Start really poking around in your unit and see if it ain't true....
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #52

6 pages—that was fun ��
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #53
2014 XLR 27HFS

The blank tank flush did not work on my brand new trailer. Did not take long crawling around underneath to find the kinked hose - zip tied and pulled tight to 180 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141004_163914.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	190938  
Old 11-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #54

This might sound dumb but Iíve seen it done. Do you have pressure regulator on fill hose🤷🏻*♂️
Gmar60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #55

So what was the finial solution?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #56

Quote:
Hi everyone,

We recently purchased a Heritage Glen TT 2018. The fresh water takes literally hours to fill. I canít understand why this would happen. Weíve tried it in multiple cities and locations. We tried opening the faucets. We tried using the pump a little and then leaving the faucets open (to try and get any air out). Thereís a grate that stops you from being able to push anything down the fresh water fill, the hose screws directly into the fill.

I donít think itís the gage because eventually the gage goes to full (after hours) and the tank overflow valves will start leaking.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea how we could fix it? We canít get it to the shop until February and this is November.

Thank you in Advance, Angelica
First check the screen on the air vent,,, if clean take a small hose and blow in the air vent,,, water will probably shoot back,,, you will still need to fill very slowly !!! If you need more info try Search here on the forum page !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #57
...far N Georgia!

I'll add that while some have mentioned that the two ports, 'City Water' and 'Tank Fill', or similar names, look the same and do somewhat the same job, if the ports where actually backwards, then the filling of the tank would not have happened in the first place, no matter HOW long it was attached - which is why I lean toward the real problem being a simple restricted inlet hose between the fill port and the water tank.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #58

Our MH has gravity fill,,, I stick a foot and a half or so of hose into the fill and then fill very slowly while I have a cold one or 2 !!! I do this after I make sure the air vent is clear,
Old 11-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
First check the screen on the air vent,,, if clean take a small hose and blow in the air vent,,, water will probably shoot back,,, you will still need to fill very slowly !!! If you need more info try Search here on the forum page !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Our MH has gravity fill,,, I stick a foot and a half or so of hose into the fill and then fill very slowly while I have a cold one or 2 !!! I do this after I make sure the air vent is clear,

I donít think youíve been paying attention. The OP doesnít have a gravity fill nor do they have a vent to clean.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I donít think youíve been paying attention. The OP doesnít have a gravity fill nor do they have a vent to clean.
Your right I came in late !!!
I have never had any experience with the threaded fill !!!
Here is hoping someone can help member with his problem !!!
I can't so I will but out !!! LOL !!!

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank