Old 12-22-2019, 04:44 AM   #1

Front Cap Separating

Hi, everyone I have problem with my 5th wheel. My front cap at the bottom on the driver side is separating. I have attached a picture of it a 2014 Forest River Sandpiper. Has anyone else experience this problem and is very expensive to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	220853  

Williamt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #2

Most molding I've seen in this area of fifth wheels is outside corner molding with a trim insert. The molding is usually screwed to the frame bottom of the overhang. Hard to tell from the pic if this is what you have, or if yours is just decorative trim glued to the corner.
It does look like several attempts have been made to reattach the molding with some type of caulking.
Is the panel on the underneath of the overhang also coming loose? Have you inspected your fifth wheel front frame to ensure there is nothing bent? Is there water damage in the side panels?
Might be time to have a good independent RV service shop look at it and give you an estimate.
As to how much it will cost, it's impossible to guesstimate from that picture what actually caused the damage and if it is more than cosmetic.
Good luck and keep us in the loop as you move forward.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Most molding I've seen in this area of fifth wheels is outside corner molding with a trim insert. The molding is usually screwed to the frame bottom of the overhang. Hard to tell from the pic if this is what you have, or if yours is just decorative trim glued to the corner.
It does look like several attempts have been made to reattach the molding with some type of caulking.
Is the panel on the underneath of the overhang also coming loose? Have you inspected your fifth wheel front frame to ensure there is nothing bent? Is there water damage in the side panels?
Might be time to have a good independent RV service shop look at it and give you an estimate.
As to how much it will cost, it's impossible to guesstimate from that picture what actually caused the damage and if it is more than cosmetic.
Good luck and keep us in the loop as you move forward.
Agreed!

It could be nothing more than trim that needs a renewed application of adhesive or you could have some very expensive and unsafe stuff going on in there. Could be water damage that caused it to seperate or could just be a bad application of sealant. Having a professional at least look and diagnose it will be money well spent for the service call.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Williamt43,

We would be happy to assist you with your 2014 Sandpiper. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Lisa Goodwin in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...42662744765755.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is online now   Reply With Quote