Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Front Power Jacks not working

Hello all. I have a 2011 Rockwood 8286WS 5th wheel. I had the strangest thing happen to us this weekend. We get to the campground and I unhook from my truck. The front power jacks seemed to be working fine. I step away for a moment and come back to make some minor adjustments with leveling. The front jacks would not work. I check the back power jacks and they work! I checked the fuse and it is fine

We troubleshoot all weekend and get ready to leave and my wardrobe slide in the front bedroom will not work either! The super slide is working, along with the power awning! I'm very tired after having to manually crack both the jacks and the slide it. I'm also stumped as to what happened. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
Scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Hug

Come on....I have the same same problem with my Fifthwheel.....what happened ? Can I fix it myself ?
Hug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Well, if you are SURE the fuses you checked are the correct ones and you have checked for 12 VDC power at the jack screw switch; it could be a bad winding on the motor I suppose.

In my camper, behind the gas bottle at the top, is a black piece of tape. Under that tape is a hole. That hole gives access to the stub shaft on the power transfer shaft that connects the two jack screws.

Put your manual Landing Gear/slide hand crank through the hole and onto the stub shaft and rotate the shaft slightly and see if the motor will now run. If it does, it is new motor time when you get home.

If it does not, then keep cranking as that crank will be your new friend until you can... get a new motor.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Hug

Thanks, but why my front slide out doesn't work either ? It must be a fuse problem, no ? But all my fuses in the electric panel are fine, is there another one hided somewhere ?

Thanks again,
Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Hug,

THAT was what I was getting at. There is a 30 amp fuse on a green pigtail BEHIND your battery for EACH (one for your landing gear and one for each main slide). My camper has 3 there.

They are so hard to get to I replaced them with 30 amp auto-resetting current limiters and then moved them when I reorganized my battery area.
Look in the attached photo lower right area for the green pigtails.
Like the black pigtail fuse holder but green or orange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 002.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	6549  
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Hug

Answer,

My dealer called, there is a tiny tiny reset buttom on the little junction box when you follow the red wire of the batterie. The rest bottom is on the face down of the box so, invisible !!

Bye bye
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Hug

Thanks a lot HERK7769
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #8

Thank you all for the responses. I'm gonna find those fuses when I get home!!
Scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

That is a "Manual" resetting current limiter.
I would replace it with an automatic one in any case.
Why not when they are almost the same price?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #10

This forum is great!

This exact thing happened to me. While camping, front jacks and front slider were working fine. Got home and jacks didn't work. I also noticed that the front slider (wardrobe) wasn't working either. I checked all the fuses and they were all fine. I had to manually retract the jacks.

I got on the computer, did a search on this forum and this was the first thread in the results. Went back to the trailer and found the "tiny tiny reset buttom on the little junction box". Jacks and slider are working now. Thanks again!!!
jepjep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Big Grin
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
PINTO

Check the connections at the little fuse blocks. On my flagstaff the front slide and jacks did not work and it ended up being the connection was loose. The factory had tightened the nut on top of the red groumet that covered these blocks. Took it all loose, got the rubber from under the screw, tightened it all back up and everything worked.
Chevy 3500 LT Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #13

Another jack problem

One year ago, we purchased a 2011 Flagstaff 5th wheel and we have had trouble with the front jacks since our first setup after purchase. Fuses blow, the bolts in the system break (even replaced grade 8 bolts) and the legs skip so that one jack is longer than the other. We have fixed this at least 30 times ouselves, dealer does nothing different than we do and we can't seem to find the right people to talk to at Forest River. Thanks for any ideas you can give us.
follow-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #14

Sounds like someone may have held the 'UP' button a bit too long and partially destroyed the gearing in at least one leg. Has anyone looked inside the legs to see if there was anything wrong?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #15

Thanks for your reply

Yes, everything has been checked out by our dealership and they can find nothing wrong. We believe they were installed not perpindicular to the frame so as the mechanism turns, it puts too much pressure on it. Grade 8 bolts are extemely strong bolts, much better than those orinally used and it is amazing that the mechanism can break these bolts at all.
follow-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #16

i have a 2011 Rockwood 8282ss and i have the same problem with the front jacks and my rear slideout, keeps blowing fuses, i took it to the dealer they change the fuse and run the jacks up and down and the slide in and out and everything is working fine, i take it home pull it into its parking area go to lower the jacks and NOTHING ( blown fuse again ) i take it back same thing (works fine here )
i must have a short somewhere and the way its going it may never get fixed
i read alot of these post and see alot of people are having the same problems with these Forest River campers, i am starting to think i bought a P.O.S
i should have kepted my SunnyBrook

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #17

I can not find a fuse or a reset button. Please help! I have spent serveal hours preplexed by this problem.
memokk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Look right behind the battery box for several fuse holder "pigtails".
The black one is the front landing gear. Replace it with an auto-resetting 30 amp fuse from AutoZone or Pepboys.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by follow-the-road View Post
Yes, everything has been checked out by our dealership and they can find nothing wrong. We believe they were installed not perpindicular to the frame so as the mechanism turns, it puts too much pressure on it. Grade 8 bolts are extemely strong bolts, much better than those orinally used and it is amazing that the mechanism can break these bolts at all.
Grade 8 bolts are stronger but yet much more brittle so in turn when using them as a shear bolt they may break easier.
whereas a softer bolt gives more possibly lasting longer.
factory most likely used Chinese grade two try a quality grade 5 such as rockford or lawson.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #20

Thank you very much it works great now. Could not believe it was so easy.
memokk1 is offline   Reply With Quote