Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

Furnace has quit

We have 2018 40CCK and furnace won't fire up. Prior to today I last checked it 5 days ago and while it worked there was an issue. It was set to come on at 10C as we are not in it right now; however, inside temp was 5C and furnace would not start until I turned off control panel and turned back on. Today it was not running so did same, I can hear it click but no ignition. I have reset control panel, checked propane, fuses. The heat pump and fan work(not furnace fan). We are on shore power. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
carlknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlknowles View Post
We have 2018 40CCK and furnace won't fire up. Prior to today I last checked it 5 days ago and while it worked there was an issue. It was set to come on at 10C as we are not in it right now; however, inside temp was 5C and furnace would not start until I turned off control panel and turned back on. Today it was not running so did same, I can hear it click but no ignition. I have reset control panel, checked propane, fuses. The heat pump and fan work(not furnace fan). We are on shore power. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Turn off gas at the tank. Slowly open the valve. Also, start the gas stove and let it burn for a minute or so. This will bleed the air from the gas line.
Aspendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspendog View Post
Turn off gas at the tank. Slowly open the valve. Also, start the gas stove and let it burn for a minute or so. This will bleed the air from the gas line.
Yeah what he said here. Maybe leave the burners run for a solid 2 minutes. You wanted warmth anyway, and see if the furnace works then.

This assumes you’ve got lots of propane.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Do you know the make model of your furnace?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:52 PM   #5

Thanks for tips so far. I did turn off propane and turned back on. Lit and ran stove. Have been on youtube and think the issue is related to power getting to the blower. Next step i guess is to see if there is power to blower then work back from there. Not at trailer and only know the furnace is a ducted suburban furnace.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #6

Well this is strange, checked it again a day later and it was working. Not sure if cold weather to blame or whether the problem is intermittent.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #7

RV systems are odd and confounding, not like residential systems. They have limit switches, and other unusual features. When I cannot fix something, I call a local RV mechanic that comes to the house. So far they can go right to problem, and fix it in less than 1/2 hour. Over the years I have rarely paid much more than $50. Such a relief to get weird systems fixed so easily.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlknowles View Post

Had the same issue with my suburban furnace and could never figure it out. I watched several youtube videos, went on forums, cleaned the system, changed the control board used different propane tanks and did leak tests. Sometime it would work and other times it wouldn’t.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:44 PM   #9

I had a similar furnace problem in my PUP. I spent hours looking for the issue. I finally decided to give up and have a service center look at it. On my way to drop it off I decided to give it one last try. I accidentally tugged on one of the wires going to/from the thermostat. It can right out of the crimped connection on it. I reinserted the wire, recrimped it as nd all was good.

The connection was intermittent and I did my continuity testing at said crimp instead on the controller board since it was easier to get to. Rookie mistake that as almost cost me a few hundred bucks.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #10
JJB

I feel silly writing this, but I must. I bought a used 2011 Voyager last September. The furnace worked the day I bought it and once after. Then nothing. I read every post in this forum about Suburban furnaces, downloaded the service manual, tested the wires, thermostat, etc. Then someone wrote a post, which I took as a joke, that one should just give it a quick poke. So today, after spending months trying to troubleshoot the darn thing, I banged on the top of it with my fist. Fired up on the first try. Shut it down, fired up again. I did this several times. Well, I don't know if the post was supposed to be a joke, but it worked for me. I'm sure there is a more deep rooted problem, but for now I am warm.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
I feel silly writing this, but I must. I bought a used 2011 Voyager last September. The furnace worked the day I bought it and once after. Then nothing. I read every post in this forum about Suburban furnaces, downloaded the service manual, tested the wires, thermostat, etc. Then someone wrote a post, which I took as a joke, that one should just give it a quick poke. So today, after spending months trying to troubleshoot the darn thing, I banged on the top of it with my fist. Fired up on the first try. Shut it down, fired up again. I did this several times. Well, I don't know if the post was supposed to be a joke, but it worked for me. I'm sure there is a more deep rooted problem, but for now I am warm.
Likely a stuck sail switch or stuck blower motor. Both can get dirt/dust on them and create an issue for it to move. Banging on the furnace housing often jars them loose.

Proper blower operation that moves the sail switch is part of the failsafe feature for the furnace to light. Without either working correctly, the furnace simply doesn't heat.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:32 PM   #12

there should be an LED on the circuit board that blinks a code. Most likely it sensed an anomoly and locked out after 3 tries. When you turn it off at the t'stat, and wait a few minutes it should reset. That's what mine did last trip when i ran it out of propane.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace