Old 12-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #61

See here and I thought it was running on elect because the on off switch is on. I guess I need to get a multi meter on it and see if that switch is any good. Their both 60lb bottles. So that’s too quick for a 60lb bottle to run out?
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
See here and I thought it was running on elect because the on off switch is on. I guess I need to get a multi meter on it and see if that switch is any good. Their both 60lb bottles. So that’s too quick for a 60lb bottle to run out?
Jeff, you may want to verify this 60lb cylinder comment. I have a feeling they are two 30 lb cylinders that make 60 combined. We know you are still in the learning/exploration stage of your RV.

Two 30 lb cylinders are what is indicated in the following links of your particular year/model RV and also if the current brochure for your brand of RV.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-...70rdok-tr20011

http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...rabrochure.pdf

This link may also help verify as it has charts/links/dimensions for the 20-40 lb DOT/upright cylinders you commonly find as standard equipment in travel trailers.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

Also I provided you some previous links, so you can understand also your water heater. I would suggest reading it too.

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #63
Site Team

Jeff, agree with wmtire that unless you ordered some special exterior propane tanks, you DON'T have two 60lbs tanks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Jeff, agree with wmtire that unless you ordered some special exterior propane tanks, you DON'T have two 60lbs tanks.

Good, I was wondering.

I read on the label of the new tank that I bought it is a 70 lb tank (or approximately according to the chart) or about twice a 30. It however does not fit in the cubby designed for the propane tanks. (Sigh)

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #65
Site Team

Are sure we are not confusing Tare weight + propane weight for the way ya are sizing these cylinders? They are referred to by their propane capacity weight only as you can see in the product data description below.

An example would be a 30# pound propane cylinder in the chart above would weigh 55-56 pounds when you take the weight of the propane AND the cylinder.

A 40# pound propane cylinder would weigh around 72 pounds with the propane and cylinder weight.

The water capacity (WC) number on the handle will solve the mystery.

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #66

Furnace not working (split to own thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Are sure we are not confusing Tare weight + propane weight for the way ya are sizing these cylinders? They are referred to by their propane capacity weight only as you can see in the product data description below.

An example would be a 30# pound propane cylinder in the chart above would weigh 55-56 pounds when you take the weight of the propane AND the cylinder.

A 40# pound propane cylinder would weigh around 72 pounds with the propane and cylinder weight.

Since the tank is 1200 miles away, I am SURE of nothing. However, FROM MEMORY, at our North 40 store, I bought a 70 lb tank.

Now, I have yet to do a receipt search, nor a physical review of the tank, thus yield to your superior knowledge/backup.

Actually, at this point, I know NOTHING? *quoting Schultz from the TV series “Hogan’s Heros”.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #67
Site Team

I'm just curious as I have not seen a 60# or 70# upright DOT cylinder, but that in no ways means they don't make them....I personally just haven't run across them.

As I previously stated, the cylinders are referred to by their propane capacity weight...not their total weight with propane AND the cylinder.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #68
Just as confused as you

RobertDS, you bought a 100 lb. propane tank, it measures approximately 48 inches high by 14.5 inches in diameter, weighs about 71# when empty and holds 25 gal of LP.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #69

Sounds reasonable. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:34 AM   #70
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
RobertDS, you bought a 100 lb. propane tank, it measures approximately 48 inches high by 14.5 inches in diameter, weighs about 71# when empty and holds 25 gal of LP.
That would mean it would weigh 171 pounds total when filled with propane.

Not something you would typically just load and unload in a truck by yourself when filled.

Robert, have you had it filled, and did you load/unload it?

That size cylinder is many times used by those with their RV at a permanent site, and they have a propane truck come to them to refill.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 AM   #71

Quote:
That would mean it would weigh 171 pounds total when filled with propane.

Not something you would just load and unload in a truck by yourself when filled.

Robert, have you had it filled, and did you load/unload it?

Hmm, really?

Yes, filled and refilled. Loaded/unloaded, twice also. Do able but not really my ideal daily workout routine.

I looked at the over all numbers, seemed reasonable but did not do the calculations. Ouch!

I will look on line for specifics...

Done, did you miss me?

This is what I seem to remember buying.

https://north40.com/manchester-tank-...nder-pol-valve. 50 lb not 100 lb.

Is it only 50 lbs... but then add in the weight of gas!

Old 12-11-2017, 02:15 AM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post

https://north40.com/manchester-tank-...nder-pol-valve. 50 lb not 100 lb.

Is it only 50 lbs... but then add in the weight of gas!
I'm laughing about the "miss me" comment.

That link you posted states the cylinder weighs 45 pounds, so it would be 95 pounds total when filled with 50 pounds of propane.

Something else that may help your memory since you are not at the RV to verify. You made a previous comment that the new cylinder would not fit in the cubby of your RV designed for the cylinders. This could help a lot, since according to the specs for a 2012 model of your RV, you originally had a pair of 30 pound cylinders.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2012-...n-32rl-tr11537

According to the Manchester cylinder chart, a 30 pound cylinder would be around 23.4 inches tall. So your cubby would accommodate this size cylinder.

Now a 40 pound cylinder is around 29.4 inches tall (or 6 inches taller than a 30 pound cylinder).

Do you remember around how much difference there was in your NEW cylinder not fitting into your cubby?

This website also has typical cylinder dimensions and weights. It also states that a typical 40 pound cylinder weighs a total of 70 pounds when filled. I just keep thinking this is what you got for some reason.

Consumer Propane Cylinders and LP Gas Bottles

Old 12-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #73

Angry

Quote:
I'm laughing about the "miss me" comment. Well, it seemed as though it took forever to find that link!

That link you posted states the cylinder weighs 45 pounds, so it would be 95 pounds total when filled with 50 pounds of propane.

Something else that may help your memory since you are not at the RV to verify. You made a previous comment that the new cylinder would not fit in the cubby of your RV designed for the cylinders. This could help a lot, since according to the specs for a 2012 model of your RV, you originally had a pair of 30 pound cylinders. It is a 2013, but I quibble.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2012-...n-32rl-tr11537

According to the Manchester cylinder chart, a 30 pound cylinder would be around 23.4 inches tall. So your cubby would accommodate this size cylinder.

Now a 40 pound cylinder is around 29.4 inches tall (or 6 inches taller than a 30 pound cylinder).

Do you remember around how much difference there was in your NEW cylinder not fitting into your cubby? Yep, and I got to thinking about how lucky I am that it did not fit. 2X the weight would not be good for the bracket nor the payload.

This website also has typical cylinder dimensions and weights. It also states that a typical 40 pound cylinder weighs a total of 70 pounds when filled. I just keep thinking this is what you got for some reason.

Consumer Propane Cylinders and LP Gas Bottles
Hmm, seems as though the industry standards people need to talk to the selling company’s advertising.

The on-line catalog clearly says 50 lbs. I know the person who filled it referred to “70 lbs” yet the standards group label it 40 lbs.

This is depressing me. I keep loosing fuel and I am not even there!

No wonder we consumers DNS/CRS! (This is a family site, I remember.)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
Lmao. Can I put a gage on it so I know for sure what level both are. Like a digital or analog

I have used this product for about 1 year. Just replaced the battery in the tank sensors. This system works very good with a smart phone blue tooth app. You will need to setup the app to the tank size you have and set an alarm for how low you are comfortable with. The wall mount monitor works well also but is calibrated for 20 LB tanks only and can not be calabraded to match an other take sizes. The wall mount monitor will read full with 30 - 40 LB tank until the propane level falls below a full 20 LB tank level.

I really like this product and works as advertised with a smart phone app.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post

I have used this product for about 1 year. Just replaced the battery in the tank sensors. This system works very good with a smart phone blue tooth app. You will need to setup the app to the tank size you have and set an alarm for how low you are comfortable with. The wall mount monitor works well also but is calibrated for 20 LB tanks only and can not be calabraded to match an other take sizes. The wall mount monitor will read full with 30 - 40 LB tank until the propane level falls below a full 20 LB tank level.

I really like this product and works as advertised with a smart phone app.

Hope this helps Tim

I have three of these and two work great but one does not and I have replaced all three batteries but one still will not work
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote