Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2019, 11:45 PM   #1

Furnace woes

Furnace wouldn’t come on, Fan and AC worked fine, BUT heat was a no go. Dometic Thermostat ( Had to be replaced before I brought camper home) and suburban furnace was not cooperating. Removed return panel located a semi-hidden switch on the furnace box turned off and back on went to thermostat turned on heat and wala heat came on.
First
Did I really do anything or is it just a coincidence?
Has anybody else had this problem?
Has anyone else used this hack?
19Vibe22RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Seems you turned the correct switch which may have been in the off position while the stat was changed.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Some furnaces have an on/off switch and it is possible you turned yours on.

It is interesting it was off after a thermostat replacement.
I can see them 'maybe' turning off that switch to replace the thermostat but I wonder how the installer (dealer?) ever checked the operation of the thermostat and all the appliances it controls (furnace and A/C) without the switch being on.

Did the furnace not work when you did the PDI/Customer Orientation?
Is that why the thermostat was replaced?

Maybe there was never anything wrong with the thermostat.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you for the response and the welcome
More info
I’ve had the camper 4 weeks been out in it 4 times. 1st time
out AC was bad it had to be replaced. 2nd time out the thermostat was almost unresponsive it was replaced as well as the skylight and bezel( that’s another story). 3rd time out The furnace worked but I had to turn it up way higher than I would have thought as in 74° to make it comfy for hot natured me, I thought that’s okay new camper new norm. On this trip I traveled up on Tuesday, set up and the furnace worked perfectly. On Wednesday when I got back to the camper it was stuffy so I turned on the AC and all was well. Then about dark it cooled off so I changed the thermostat to heat. The AC had not been on in an hour or so, I set back and watched some TV and didn’t think about the furnace until the back of my neck started getting cold. Then I began to investigate. That ended in the sequence where I located the switch on the furnace box. ( it was in the ON position then I turned it OFF and then back ON again, then re-set the thermostat and Walla.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

A little more background, I had kinda of an off -norm PDI
Having spent 2 years looking for my first camper and I would settle for nothing less than a very specific camper.
The Vibe 22RB is as close to a like for like replacement for my previous camper. A 2010 Skyline Nomad as I could possibly find. After all it’s built in the very same factory using the very same processes just with updated components. Noticed I said updated not better. Fact is the Nomad IMO was a very well built camper but that is another story. The search for a replacement took a lot of research so when finally found the floor plan the only available unit was 482 miles away. This was not a big concern I went prepared to stay in the new camper 2 or 3 days if need be. I had researched and read numerous accounts of PDI nightmares. So the 482 miles worked to my advantage in that if I had a problem then the dealer would have two choices give my money back or fix it. As the vibe 22RB is a non-traditional layout they had no intention of a refund once they got my money and I had no intention of leaving until the camper was right or at least as right as it was gonna get. After getting it home I did spend a 4 day weekend working on it non-stop but that effort paid off as it did make the first trip out to my home campground a wonderful experience.

Tags
furnace