Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #21

back up camera

We have a 2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304 KS. The brochure said that it comes with a Furion backup camera mount. It didn't. I installed an inexpensive ($65+$12 for an extension power cable), Peak Antifreeze brand, wireless backup camera. I wired it to be on full time when driving. I found it to be the perfect backup camera, as well as providing great blind spot coverage while driving.
Needless to say, I installed the same camera on our 2304 KS. It has worked exceptionally well for the over 3,500 miles we have put on the trailer so far.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #22

I am getting the observation caked install at the rv shop now, I should vet it back next week, can't wait to try it out.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #23

I just purchased the observation/backup camera and got it Sunday. Haven't hooked it up as been busy with a death in the family, but I will be trying it out here in a couple of weeks. Cant wait to see how it works.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf 17 View Post
I just purchased the observation/backup camera and got it Sunday. Haven't hooked it up as been busy with a death in the family, but I will be trying it out here in a couple of weeks. Cant wait to see how it works.
You will like it. Colors aren't perfect (none of my cams are) on my tractors or the RV. Not an issue really. Images are sharp and depth defined and that is really what you need.

It adds a degree of safety and confidence you didn't have before and that is what is important.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #25

Furion Available

If anyone wants my "new" Furion Camera system, send me a PM. All of my TT accessories available (including Rear View camera system) may be seen at http://www.zrd.com/pd/esdttrv.html#tt . Purchased RV after only a few months and already has one installed or would have transferred it.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #26
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I also have the observation/backup camera only thing I dislike about it is the small receiver screen. When one gets a bit older need bigger size for eyes I talk to them when I was in Goshen 2 years ago and said they were going to enlarge the screen don't know if they have. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #27

Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I also have the observation/backup camera only thing I dislike about it is the small receiver screen. When one gets a bit older need bigger size for eyes I talk to them when I was in Goshen 2 years ago and said they were going to enlarge the screen don't know if they have. Later RJD
Understand, but one does not want a PC or TV screen in the driver's area to distract like TEXTING. The size is similar to may GPS systems and for me is the best size balance under the circumstances. Not to mention, many ALAYS complain about price. Bigger screens = more $$$$$.

If anything, an increase in resolution would be nice, but again $$$$. IMHO, Still best balance for most factors.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #28

Plenty large enough for these 70 year old peepers. I want to glance at it and see what is back there, thats it. Between my Gamrim and that, it's busy enough on the dash.

I don't like nor do I want distractions. Driving is serious business Too many distractions cause accidents. Perfectly fine the way it is.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #29

Quote:
PM me immediately when you find one. I'd put it in on the console, not the dash. Now, I have to stick it on drivers window to get it close enough to my eyes.

But yeah, there's a lot to driving one of these. I hear jet planes are worse, though! LOL ... Trax 3 fuel gauge, Furrion monitor, GPS, truck built in screen, and still need a TPMS. But my windshield in front is pretty big....I want the 'windshield' in the back to be bigger too!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #30

Furrion works well. Just installed on my 5th.
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #31

The early Furrions were hit or miss on connectivity but they seem to be great units now. Since most new trailers come "Furrion Ready" now they are definitely the easiest install...just about plug-n-play.

The only drawback for me is the small screen and not too great resolution. I installed the Sharx wifi driven system that can be viewed in 1980p resolution on the iPhone

Or on the iPad mini

Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Understand, but one does not want a PC or TV screen in the driver's area to distract like TEXTING. The size is similar to may GPS systems and for me is the best size balance under the circumstances. Not to mention, many ALAYS complain about price. Bigger screens = more $$$$$.

If anything, an increase in resolution would be nice, but again $$$$. IMHO, Still best balance for most factors.
It would be nice if it was the size of a GPS but is not, this thing is small to me any way. Wait till your eyes get older see what you need. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #33

Quote:
It would be nice if it was the size of a GPS but is not, this thing is small to me any way. Wait till your eyes get older see what you need. Later RJD
If your eyes are that bad that you cannot discern an object behind you on the Furrion screen, it's time to quit driving, you are a hazard on the road and to other drivers. Either that or go take your drivers license test again and flunk the vision test and let the state pull your license...
Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #34

Good grief. How old are you?

I passed my state drivers license eye test with flying colors, just had an eye exam and see fine with glasses, and shoot deer to 400 yards regularly! And I can see the Furrion screen but it is indeed too small and would be nice if it were HD and clearer, and if it were bigger.

My eyes are not what they used to be, but I drive just fine and will continue to do so, and I'll honk when I see you and wave. Just because I would like a bigger screen with better resolution is not a reason to swing the pendulum that far and assume I'm blind. Gracious sakes, and a biscuit!

That said, I'm considering getting the Tadi Brothers CCV/HD bigger monitor that clips on the mirror. But can't find much feedback on them.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Good grief. How old are you?

I passed my state drivers license eye test with flying colors, just had an eye exam and see fine with glasses, and shoot deer to 400 yards regularly! And I can see the Furrion screen but it is indeed too small and would be nice if it were HD and clearer, and if it were bigger.

My eyes are not what they used to be, but I drive just fine and will continue to do so, and I'll honk when I see you and wave. Just because I would like a bigger screen with better resolution is not a reason to swing the pendulum that far and assume I'm blind. Gracious sakes, and a biscuit!

That said, I'm considering getting the Tadi Brothers CCV/HD bigger monitor that clips on the mirror. But can't find much feedback on them.
You failed to include that your 400 yard shots weren't with open sights but rather with optics. I shoot 1000 yards + regularly but all my sticks have optics. Be honest here...

My comment was directed to a cluttered dash and distracted driving and if you cannot glance at the Furrion screen and discern an object (which is what the purpose is), a bigger screen is of no value anyway other than loading up your dash with un needed crap and distracting you from the task at hand... Being a safe and undistracted driver.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #36

I think the problem some see with the Furrion display has more to do with the resolution than the screen size. There's a lot of difference between 480p display (Furrion standard) and 1280p or 1980p found on other units. Here are some iPhone screenshots of a Sharx display comparing 480 to 1920:

480P.....

and 1920p....

Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #37

Could be but I'm used to the lower resolution. I use 480 units on my farm tractors to monitor implements in the field so I don't have to turn around and I use one to monitor grain flow into the hopper on my combine.

Distracted farming and distracted driving have some things in common. Distracted farming is crooked rows or running into something in a field like a fence post or boulder. Distracted driving causes accidents.

I do notice the color saturation of the Furrion is about as good as my tractor cams, that is, marginal but again, I'm not into color in either application. Just want to discern objects and their relationship to what I'm operating.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #38

Looking at my camera display is NOT distracted driving. No more than looking at my mirrors while driving is.

I can see it. I could see it BETTER if it were HD and bigger. Right now, I stick it via the window clip to the drivers door window, closer to my eyes. It's NOT on a cluttered dash anyway.

But to make statements like "Don't drive if you can't see a tiny camera screen well" is just disingenious. If I wasn't old, I couldn't afford to even be on this site!!! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #39

Whatever anybody do don't get the FRC12, v that is what the dealer install in mines after I let them know that of wanted the observation camera. So now when I travel down the highway my picture fade in and out, sometimes the screen go blank, so now I'm trying to get back with them to see if they can install the FOS48 camera.

To make sure I emailed furrion about the FRC12 and he told me that, that camera is the backup camera only not the observation camera. If they don't do anything about it if will be ordering the FOS48 soon and sell the FRC12 the one if have now.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #40
New TT Owner

Yesterday was the 4th time we had tried to use our back up camera while moving the camper from the house back to the storage facility. Only to find that it didn't work. Purchased on Feb. 6th through Amazon and sold by a 3rd party. Emailed the 3rd party company last night and received an email from them this morning stating it was out of their normal 30 day return period and that I needed to contact Furrion. I called Furrion his afternoon and was told they couldn't honor the warranty since it was sold through Amazon and they had no idea how old it was or where it had come from. Go figure. But since we think it is the plug under the housing that holds the camera that has a broken wire, Furrion informed me I could purchase the housing and wiring for $12.66. Are you serious? I just paid $285 for something that doesn't work.

I called Amazon customer service and they initiated a compliant and said resolution could be completed within 1-2 weeks. I thought I'd give the 3rd party a call and speak with them to see if I could obtain resolution. The person I needed to speak with was on another call and I was told they would call back. That didn't happen today.

It was nice having the camera so we could see where we were backing and how close we were to objects. However I am not happy with the customer service or lack thereof with their product that is less than 2 months old and useless at this point.

More to come as the saga continues... (not a happy camper at the moment).
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote