RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #1

Furrion Observation Camera

My truck camper came pre-wired for this brand of observation/back up camera Would like feed back from others who have had dealing with this brand as to whether it is worth buying or best avoided.
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofishlbusiness View Post
My truck camper came pre-wired for this brand of observation/back up camera Would like feed back from others who have had dealing with this brand as to whether it is worth buying or best avoided.
I purchased the observation version about 1 month ago. We have only used it once but it worked as it was designed. Easy installation. We actually turn it off when driving down the road if not in traffic. We use it primarily for backing.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

I use DW with a cell phone or a cheap walke talke , best backup camera there is. About the only difference is the backup camera won't talk back to you, DW has been known to yell at me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I use DW with a cell phone or a cheap walke talke , best backup camera there is. About the only difference is the backup camera won't talk back to you, DW has been known to yell at me
No doubt this is the best solution, however, most times I am by myself when setting up...Well me and the dog but no matter how much training I give him, his backup instructions are pretty vague!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
SRN

"I use DW with a cell phone or a cheap walke talke , best backup camera there is. About the only difference is the backup camera won't talk back to you, DW has been known to yell at me"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mute.png
Views:	244
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	131219  
SRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #6

No buttons pushed here. Just trying to be funny.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #7

My dealer replaced my useless Elite with a Furion. It worked great when traveling down the road. no loss of signal (except by Ft Hood) either direction of the 300 mile each way trip.
I was pleasantly surprised.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #8

Lots of threads on this topic. My new 5th wheel has the same prep and Im about to order. From what I have found/seen there are two model. A back up only and an observation. Difference being the range and picture quality.

General rule is they are wired to the running lights and have power when lights are on. I will be ordering the observation model sense I have a longer unit and want to use it while running down the road.

Generally appears the best price is online via amazon or walmart or ebay.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
New TT Owner

We are new to RV'ing and our Rockwood Mini Lite came prewired. Since we had never pulled anything before, we felt this was a must. I ordered mine from Amazon and got another wiring harness and mount for $285. The camera by itself was $306. The camera alone at the dealer was $410.

We have only used ours twice but it is helpful for watching the back of the trailer. My husband uses it for backing and says it is a huge help. Ours has performed as it should and has never lost signal.
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #10

We have one on back of a pre-wired 34' 5er. with no signal issues. Do not like that it is wired into the lights but have learned to live with it. Putting the antenna on the unit in the same position as the one on the monitor seems to work best for us. You also have to deal with headlight glare at night but I was able to adjust most of it out. This unit and TPMS sure give a lot of peace of mind. Happy motoring.

2017 8529IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #11

Had good luck with the Furion, only issue I had was confusion with leaving it on console, too much confusion with the large navigation screen. Typically cover the nav screen wirh hand towel when using the backup camera. No problem with range, crew cab pulling a 34 tt.
Days camped in FR, 2011-12 = 77, ‘13-14 = 98, ‘15 = 52
‘16 = 77, ‘17 = 81, ‘18 = 44, 19’ = 83, 2020 = 45
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
code.org

I purchased the Furrion observation version camera. I love being able to see the traffic coming up behind me while driving. It really helps with the blind spots.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #13

Furrion

Great company and product. Replaced back up with observation camera as an upgrade. They gave me credit for my old camera for the change. Great picture and no loss of signal. I pull with crew cab and have a 38' Columbus fifth wheel.
drknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #14

Recommend the OBSERVATION version. I hang the display on my TV rear view mirror - it hard to see thru the trailer! Helps a lot with passing and watching for tailgaters.
As Lovestogo mentioned, the full kit (with camera housing) is often priced lower than just the camera and display.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #15

I have it and love it. It is great when passing or changing lanes while driving too. You can see where others are before you change lanes. Highly reccomend. Look on E-Bay for best prices!

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Recommend the OBSERVATION version. I hang the display on my TV rear view mirror - it hard to see thru the trailer! Helps a lot with passing and watching for tailgaters.
As Lovestogo mentioned, the full kit (with camera housing) is often priced lower than just the camera and display.
I must have really lucked out. The one I bought from Wally World online does both. It's a backup cam and an observation cam Backup grid and push the button and the grid vanishes and it's an observation cam with nigh vision too.... and yes, the housing and cam was less that just the cam alone.

Of course the housing might cost a buck. It's injection moulded plastic with a plastic backer gasket.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Lots of threads on this topic. My new 5th wheel has the same prep and Im about to order. From what I have found/seen there are two model. A back up only and an observation. Difference being the range and picture quality.

General rule is they are wired to the running lights and have power when lights are on. I will be ordering the observation model sense I have a longer unit and want to use it while running down the road.

Generally appears the best price is online via amazon or walmart or ebay.
Yes same here. I don't think the DW would fit on the rear bumper!!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #18

We have the Furion OBSERVATION camera system that was pre-installed on our trailer and for me, I love it.. Never have any problems with it and when I am driving I aim the camera high so I can see all that is behind me. I don't know why but being able to see the road behind me just gives me more peace of mind while driving. I am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. Just my two sense.
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #19

Furrion back up camera

Well, lets just say, the system works, but can't hook it up.
The cam set up bought separately for a pre-wired rig has a small tub cable at the plug in, in case you have to pair them, you can do it in your front seat.
However, when they are shipped the instructions say they are already paired.
Now, when I climbed up on my 20 ft ladder to the top of the toy hauler, (373 QSI) I find out that after a run from nearest power, they only left me about an inch of spare wire, and the little female plug under the housing.
So, If I manage to plug the two together, they aren't long enough to fold under the housing to mount the camera. So if I try to place the camera the shortness of the wires and length of the two plugs, means the camera is about 3 inches to the right of where it should mount. Under the water proof back seal, the wire is poking out of a very sharp rough cut hole. NO grommet. and too short to pull any slack. I complained vociferously to Furrion, and am waiting to see if they will send me a jump cord (male to female, 2.5 mm) Note that the plug is 2.5 (obsolete) and not 3.5 (8mm) so you can't find one at Walmart, Hastings, Radio Shack, or anywhere else that has electronics. Idiocy. We'll See.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupScrappy View Post
We have the Furion OBSERVATION camera system that was pre-installed on our trailer and for me, I love it.. Never have any problems with it and when I am driving I aim the camera high so I can see all that is behind me. I don't know why but being able to see the road behind me just gives me more peace of mind while driving. I am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. Just my two sense.
This is the main reason why I'm getting one. Tow mirrors are nice but there's only so much you can see.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote