Old 05-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #1

Generator

Folks. Have a question concerning my generator. I have a SunSeeker and pretty new to the RV world. I just took it out of storage to do regular maintenance. Oil and filter change on both the engine and generator. Generator sounded a bit rough and let it run for about 20 minutes. I first turned the fan on inside the RV then switched to air conditioner. The generator did not like that and WAS struggling. The air conditioner was also running but struggling. Nothing else was drawing power in the unit. Any ideas on why and how to fix it? Thanks

stachowski8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #2

Have you looked at the air filter. If you gen is in the back it can get pretty dirty, also look at the fuel filter. Try some Sea Foam in the gas to clean the carb.

Inlineskater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

I have looked at the air filter and it is decent. Actually ordered one today to replace it. I have not checked the fuel filter. I actually put Sea Foam in during the winter months while in storage. I run the vehicle and generator about once a month while in storage. Will look at fuel filter if I can find it! Thanks
Old 05-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

First off.....I would have done the oil and filter change at the end of last season, BEFORE you put it away. Why store your engines with dirty used up motor oil and filters? Better to always store away clean.

As far as the generator, does it use the fuel from the motorhome, or does it have it’s own fuel tank. As another has posted, being stored away for some time, the fuel has had quite awhile to go stale. Sea Foam or Stabil is what I put in the fuel for my seasonal motors.

BTW.....I do not start my engines through the winter at all. To each their own. Just this week, everything started up without troubles and ran smoothly for hours while testing.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
far north Alabama

Your generator is simply an engine, much like your lawn mower. If fuel sits in the fuel filter and lines for extended periods you may find that the fuel filter is not allowing good fuel flow - the generator may crank and run, but when you put much of a 'load' on it, or in the comparison with a lawn mower, engage the blade(s), it struggles to keep running.

This is typically a fuel flow problem.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada - Hiawassee,GA (and '14 Gulfstream Amerlite and '07 ForestRIver Rockwood) : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #6

I normally do change engine oil and filter twice a year. Before putting it in storage mode and when it comes out in the spring. The generator does not have its own tank. The unit was half full and filled it up last week. I will try another Sea Foam and see how it does. Interesting on never starting during the winter months. I normally do it to move it a bit for the tires so they do not have the half moon look at the bottom where it meets the gravel pad. Guess some food for thought on that one
Old 05-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #7

Awesome. Now gonna have to find it but will look to replace it. Thanks
Old 05-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stachowski8482 View Post
I normally do change engine oil and filter twice a year. Before putting it in storage mode and when it comes out in the spring. The generator does not have its own tank. The unit was half full and filled it up last week. I will try another Sea Foam and see how it does. Interesting on never starting during the winter months. I normally do it to move it a bit for the tires so they do not have the half moon look at the bottom where it meets the gravel pad. Guess some food for thought on that one
There’s discussions for both starting or not starting over the winter.
I treat my snowblower, ride ‘em, lawnmower and weed whacker the same. Change oil and filter, FILL the tank with gas and stabil. I fill the tank so there’s no room for condensation......it’s worked for me so far.
First test drive of the year takes a few miles to ‘round out’ the tires of the motorhome.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

I run mine dry and drain the tank. I never use snake oil like seafoam ever.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #10

I would agree with Babock! Drain the tank b4 storage and if you can get the non ethonal gas in your area, Drain that old gas,change the fuel filter and try the new gas .

Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator