Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #1

Generator

Not real sure where to put this so if it would be better somewhere else please feel free to move.

I recently purchased a Champion generator to use when we decide to try boondocking. I understand the need to break in the unit and also the need to exercise it once a month. Since my toy hauler is in storage about a 1/2 hour away how do you guys go about the exercise and especially what do you use to put a load on the unit. I have tried using my wifes hair dryer or some of my tools such as drills, heaters and fans. These don't really seem to put much of a load on the genny so I am not sure if it is really helping or not.

I could possibly take the genny over to the storage unit but not sure how they would react. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
cliffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
Lets go camping!

what size generator?

i think they only want you to run it so often because the carb will gum up from ethanol fuel if you dont cycle the fuel.

I use my 2K watt generator to power a fridge or a window a/c unit.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #3

Try to run NON-ethanol fuel if you can find it in your area. Add some Seafoam or Sta-Bil type fuel stabilizer to your fuel as it may sit for a while. This is more important with Ethanol based fuel. The Ethanol will evaporate from the fuel bowl and moisture will be left.
I plug a 1000w portable shop light into my generators for a load when needed.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
what size generator?

i think they only want you to run it so often because the carb will gum up from ethanol fuel if you dont cycle the fuel.

I use my 2K watt generator to power a fridge or a window a/c unit.
It is a 3100/2800 Champion.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #5

A product like sta-bil will be your best friend. Been using it for years in our Honda generator and we maybe fire it up once every 3 or 4 months. Keep sta-bil in the tank ran thru the system and keep the fuel tank topped off.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Try to run NON-ethanol fuel if you can find it in your area. Add some Seafoam or Sta-Bil type fuel stabilizer to your fuel as it may sit for a while. This is more important with Ethanol based fuel. The Ethanol will evaporate from the fuel bowl and moisture will be left.
I plug a 1000w portable shop light into my generators for a load when needed.
I Was able to find 1 station that might sell ethanol free gas but have not had chance to check it out. Will have to pickup Seafoam or Stabil.

So a 1500 watt electric space heater would be enough of a load?
Old 09-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #7

your generator can output 2800 watts. a 1500 heater is over half of that. all the instruction i have read say to exercise the generator at half load. so it looks like that will be fine!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #8

I hate to say this but my old Champion generator didn't get "exercised" regularly. I did make sure to run tank down as low as possible then fill with fresh each time I used it and put it away. It was a 3500/4000 Watt open frame type. I DID shut off fuel and run until it stalled before storing. Over the 15 years I owned it it still worked just fine. Only needed one new spark plug somewhere around year 13 or 14.

My newer 3500 watt Inverter Champion doesn't have a fuel shutoff per se. To drain carb bowl I have to set the fuel selector to "LPG" which shuts off the gas line from the tank. I then loosen a screw at bottom of carb bowl that drains any remaining gasoline.

Since I use the unit regularly I have only done that once in the last couple years.

If one expects to store for a really long time it would be a good idea to just siphon as much gas from tank as possible from tank, start, then let run until totally dry and unit stops. If doing that it's also a good idea to remove the spark plug and spray some "engine fogging oil" in the cylinder. Will keep rings from rusting to cast cylinder sleeve but will certainly cause some smoke when starting up the next time.

This product is targeted to Outboard Motors but works great on ANY internal combustion engine that's going to be stored for a while.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #9

After the last carb rebuild on my Powerade generator my small engine repair shop recommended Star Tron fuel stabilizer and high octane fuel. Been using this setup for 5 years on mower, genny and snow blower with no issues.
I run my generator monthly for the shop vacuum, hedge trimmer or electric saws.

2015 Tracer 3140RSD Touring
2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Blue Ox Swaypro BXW1500
mmangiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #10

Meant powermate.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1599174086778

2015 Tracer 3140RSD Touring
2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Blue Ox Swaypro BXW1500
mmangiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy49 View Post
I Was able to find 1 station that might sell ethanol free gas but have not had chance to check it out. Will have to pickup Seafoam or Stabil.

So a 1500 watt electric space heater would be enough of a load?
Sounds about perfect for a 2800 continuous load rated genny to me.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator