Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2022, 12:04 AM   #1
Always Learning

Generator exhaust under slide, need extension for Genturi

We are headed to the Balloon Fiesta next week and I keep remembering that I need to do something about my generator’s exhaust even with my battery + solar upgrades. I previously bought (and still have) my Genturi. The problem now is, the exhaust of my generator comes out under a slide out and I am not entirely sure how to attach the Genturi. It can’t go straight up.

Any recommendations for an exhaust extension that I can clamp on and then connect the Genturi to it? (Presumably also figuring out a way to support it all from the ground.)
Old 09-23-2022, 06:49 PM   #2

I rigged my Genturi exhaust so it would work with my portable generator on my TT's rear bumper. Problem of supporting the "stack" was as simple ( for my setup) as supporting it from rear ladder.

To support yours perhaps some custom made "s-hooks" to hook over top trim of slide??

As for exhaust, take a look at electrical EMT conduit. Might find some the same size as genset' exhaust pipe. Connect to exhaust pipe with coupler that's been slit with hacksaw so you can clamp with U-Clamps (just like a replacement muffler-).

I used the heavy duty rubber "tarp strap" type bungee cords and adjusted lengths so they supported the weight of the Genturi, not the exhaust pipe.

If you can't use hooks over top trim, I've read of some using the suction cup grippers glaziers use to handle glass panes.

Place on side, press pump piston several times, instant grip that holds LOT of weight ( and infinitely adjustable to hold exhaust stack)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:39 PM   #3
CCL

My solution

I have the same situation on my GT5. See picture. Used an 1 1/2" flex exhaust pipe and fashioned a bracket to offset the genturi from the slide. Works well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3880.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	279602
ccleaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:49 PM   #4
Always Learning

Thanks to both of you. I like the strap idea to support the Genturi.

The flex pipe is what I've been looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027J9O0O/

I really need to figure it out.. you know, we're actually boondocking today and will be until the 9th. lol

Lower 80s/upper 70s during the day but nicely in the 50s at night. Maybe I'll get away without needing the generator.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:15 PM   #5

hope that generator is a diesel
no way would I want a gas engine exhaust under a slide

slide seal could easily wear and allow gas in
stinky diesel would not be nice as well?
Old 09-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
hope that generator is a diesel
no way would I want a gas engine exhaust under a slide

slide seal could easily wear and allow gas in
stinky diesel would not be nice as well?
It's gas and a very common design for gas motorhomes that have a driver's side slide across many manufacturers.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #7
Always Learning

Didn't get my parts yet and ran my generator a bit yesterday. Once I got neighbors, I decided to do the bare minimum and blow the generator exhaust towards the road. Not the prettiest setup, but this works for the moment.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's gas and a very common design for gas motorhomes that have a driver's side slide across many manufacturers.
Just curious, if that is how they design it do they expect the customer to figure out how to safely exhaust the fumes or do they think it is safe? Does not make sense to me.

I do notice that MHs have an exhaust, usually in the front that barely sticks out past the front edge of the unit. Also always to mounted too low..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:26 PM   #9
Always Learning

I can’t speak for the manufacturers but given how common of a design it is, it seems that they think it’s safe. And honestly, with 150 hours of runtime + 2 extra CO detectors, I’ve only once had one of them go off (and it was an extra). It was after 6-7 hours of generator runtime at that session.

So… (shrug)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
Always Learning

Closing the loop on this. I ended up taking ideas presented here and elsewhere and came up with the following:

I ended up finding 1 1/2” flexible exhaust that was a nice & easy slip fit over the exhaust pipe.

At the Genturi end, I ended up having to cut the flexible pipe and open it up slightly. An exhaust clamp worked well to hold it together.

Flexible exhaust: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027J9O0O
Exhaust clamp: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019I64F2
Suction cups: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N13T8X2
Old 10-12-2022, 02:06 PM   #11

Nice job.

As a potential future neighbor, I thank you. Exhaust fumes from a rig next to us at the Balloon Festival made me sick because the exhaust exited their rig near ground level and traveled to the door of our rig.
Their rig had no exhaust enter their rig, but we did. Going in and out the door of our rig was not a pleasant experience. Had to keep the door shut all the time.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Closing the loop on this. I ended up taking ideas presented here and elsewhere and came up with the following:
Great work Doug!

So the flex pipe is stiff enough it keeps the upper end of the Genturi (near the roof line) from laying back against the side of the R/V or the slide wall?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:35 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Nice job.

As a potential future neighbor, I thank you. Exhaust fumes from a rig next to us at the Balloon Festival made me sick because the exhaust exited their rig near ground level and traveled to the door of our rig.
Their rig had no exhaust enter their rig, but we did. Going in and out the door of our rig was not a pleasant experience. Had to keep the door shut all the time.
My neighbor started without anything and we had to keep that side of our windows closed. He must have realized and loosened the screws for the exhaust to rotate it towards the front of his rig where it wasn't blasting us any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Great work Doug!

So the flex pipe is stiff enough it keeps the upper end of the Genturi (near the roof line) from laying back against the side of the R/V or the slide wall?
Yeah, the exhaust was stiff that it didn't just collapse/redirect without intention. It wasn't hard to shape, but it did hold its shape.

And then it straightens back out for fairly easy storage.

Tags
generator, slide