Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #1

Smile Generator hookup - HELP!!

We picked up our first toyhauler, Vengeance 25V, 2 months ago and are still learning how to operate it.

We have a Powerstroke generator we picked up at Home Deport during the past hurricane season for household use. It is 6000 running watts generator. It has 4 L5-2R power outlets and 1 L14-30R power outlet. Can I use this generator on my toyhauler? Do I need to use any adapters? or do I need to get a different generator? What do the L14-30R code on the one power outlet means?
This is our first experience with trailers and want to make sure I don't do something wrong. Thanks.
zagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #2

If you are talking about this genset https://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerStr...025A/203183991
1. You'll not be anyone's friend at a campground with this open framed generator howling away.
2. You can adapt down to any one of the four 20 amp 110 VAC outlets, but it'll be a strain to run an A/C and much anything else on that small of an extension cord.
3. I'm concerned with the advertising saying the 30 amp outlet is 240VAC. You don't want 240 VAC running to your RV like a stick house has.

Try looking over this link down to the very bottom of it. L just stands for locking. www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/30amp_Service.htm
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #3

I wouldn't bother using that with the TH for the reasons mentioned above. That's a big genny to only get 20A to your trailer and it's going to be quite loud. Not a big deal if you're dry camping with nobody else around, but if you have other campers nearby they're not going to like you very much.

If you want an RV generator that won't break the bank then check out the Predator from Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...tor-63584.html

A comparable Honda EU genny will run about $2,000.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #4

They make an adapter to plug an RV style 30 plug to the 120/240 outlet on your generator. I'm not sure if yours has the 120/240 switch but my generator has a selector switch so I can use the full wattage from the 30 amp L14-30R outlet at 120V. That said, I would never use mine in a campground as it is loud. Was purchased primarily for power outages at the house.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
Insert witty title here

You will not make any friends using something that big and loud in a campground. Alot of campgrounds have limits on how loud gennys can be. Get yourself an inverting generator. They are alot quieter and produce power that's safe for sensitive electronics like laptops.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

Open frame generators can indeed be noisy. A disqualifier for the close confines of a camp ground. OK for boon docking...

That generator can supply more than just a single 20 amp. An adaptor needs to be made or purchased to connect the trailer cord to the generator. Make sure to get said adaptor from someone who understands 99.9999% of trailers use 115VAC ONLY....NOT 230 VAC like a house!
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #7

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for the advices. Yes, that genny is pretty loud.
I will be getting the HF genny recommended above!
zagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
Open frame generators can indeed be noisy. A disqualifier for the close confines of a camp ground. OK for boon docking...

That generator can supply more than just a single 20 amp. An adaptor needs to be made or purchased to connect the trailer cord to the generator. Make sure to get said adaptor from someone who understands 99.9999% of trailers use 115VAC ONLY....NOT 230 VAC like a house!
Not true. 50A campers use 230VAC. The voltage gets split into (2) 120VAC buses inside the main breaker panel. Your house does the same exact thing.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Not true. 50A campers use 230VAC. The voltage gets split into (2) 120VAC buses in side the main breaker panel. Your house does the same exact thing.
Kinda yes, kinda no,

50A campers do indeed use both L1 and L2, but individually referenced to neutral (115VAC). Virtually NEVER across L1 and L2 (230VAC). Houses differ in that they actually use the 230VAC for things such as cloths dryers, ovens, central air...)

Said another way, 50A campers use two 115 VAC lines (L1/neutral/ground and L2/neutral/ground). So yes, both L1 and L2 runs to the camper, but it is never used as 230VAC. Only as two 115VAC lines.

To be precise, there is what I belief to be a very rare exception. Apparently SOME campers are known to use 230VAC. Presumably for an oven or cloths dryer, some other high power load. I've never seen this myself.

My real message here is be very careful wiring to a camper...more than one poor soul has plugged a camper into 230VAC. The usually happens when a 30 AMP camper receptacle gets wired like a household cloths washer receptacle. Not good!
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #10

HF generator

If you have trouble making that HB gen. start, change out the spark plug to a known brand; that is what I had to do and found that suggestion on Goggle right off the bat. Myrt
br23mat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagain View Post

I went with the cheaper Honda 3000is clone a few years ago and learned a valuable lesson.

I purchased a Kipor 3000, which was basically a Honda 3000is, but only cost $750 or so with free shipping. It worked great the first time out. I thumbed my nose at my camping buddies that had spent $1799+ for those super quiet Hondas. Next time out, after a total of 60-hours including the initial trip, it failed. Took it to the dealer that had sold it to me for a warranty replacement, which would take a month or two. There was a Camping World nearby, so I purchased the 3000is for $1799. It was August in NC and it was 108 degrees at the campground. The new Honda worked great and I still use it to this day for rough camping.

The replacement Kipor finally showed up. I took it on the next boondock camping trip & it lasted 27-hours. Luckily I had my Honda 3000is with me.

I ended up junking the 2nd Kipor as the 1-year warranty was done. The HF Predator only has 90-day replacement warranty.

So, purchase what you want, but for me, I learned a lesson the hard way. You get what you pay for.

Just saying...

BTW, my Honda 3000is has 1,334-hours on it and it's still running strong.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJarHead View Post
I went with the cheaper Honda 3000is clone a few years ago and learned a valuable lesson.

I purchased a Kipor 3000, which was basically a Honda 3000is, but only cost $750 or so with free shipping. It worked great the first time out. I thumbed my nose at my camping buddies that had spent $1799+ for those super quiet Hondas. Next time out, after a total of 60-hours including the initial trip, it failed. Took it to the dealer that had sold it to me for a warranty replacement, which would take a month or two. There was a Camping World nearby, so I purchased the 3000is for $1799. It was August in NC and it was 108 degrees at the campground. The new Honda worked great and I still use it to this day for rough camping.

The replacement Kipor finally showed up. I took it on the next boondock camping trip & it lasted 27-hours. Luckily I had my Honda 3000is with me.

I ended up junking the 2nd Kipor as the 1-year warranty was done. The HF Predator only has 90-day replacement warranty.

So, purchase what you want, but for me, I learned a lesson the hard way. You get what you pay for.

Just saying...

BTW, my Honda 3000is has 1,334-hours on it and it's still running strong.
That is generally true and solid advice, and normally I wouldn't cheap out on a piece of equipment like that but there have been countless positive reviews with no indications that the Predator gennys are failing early on. All indications are that these are solid generators.

Any brand can make a bad product and I'm sure there have been folks that have had a defective Honda. If everyone swore by them and you had a bad one would you write them off? Probably not. The Predator shouldn't be any different. Vast majority of people love them and they've been solid.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #13

Generator

You might want to take a look at the Champion generators. As quiet as the Honda and Yamaha's! But not as expensive!!!
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...use=Recreation
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #14

Suggest either the HF or Champion inverter generators.

Do you have a 50A or 30A trailer? If you stick with what you have with a 220/120 switch I highly suggest an EMS to protect your trailer from being fried by 220.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagain View Post
ZAGAIN, I have and use the HF Predator 3500 inverter generator. This is the quietest generator I have ever experienced. It has enough power to run the 13,500 BTU A/C and Microwave simultaneously in non-eco mode. Watch for sales, you should be able to pick it up for $659. The unit has a backlit LED panel to tell you Hrs run, Amps, Watts, Voltage, etc.

I think you will like it!
Good Camping Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #16

Before you lay out $ for a HF inverter gen check out the Honda 2800 inverter gen, make sure you get the one with the 20 amp locking rec. Camping world has it but kinda of pricey, watch Ebay, I picked up a new one when they first came out for $600
Bird Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #17

You get what you pay for! Spend less get what you pay for! Been there done this buy the best it will last!
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #18

Predator 3500i Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFAR View Post
You get what you pay for! Spend less get what you pay for! Been there done this buy the best it will last!
I knew someone would have to bash the HF generators, so all I can add is check out some of the many YouTube videos reviewing and comparing the generators.

Paying double or more for the equivalent Honda generator doesn't make much sense. I have a 10 year old 2700W Honda I bought new after Hurricane Katrina, which died after a few weeks use. The engine runs like a Honda should, but the generator part is worthless. I also have a 10,000W Gentron generator Chinese made. It has performed well also since just after Katrina and though noisy, is as reliable as one would want one to be. The engine is a knockoff of the Honda engine.

If you want any of these small engines to last, you need to break them in properly and maintain the oil thereafter.

Thanks ........ Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #19

Not basing to each its on , that has always been the case with me try to save and it cost me in the long run! Lol!
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #20

It's so ugly to run a generator at a lovely campsite. It's like living in a third world country without services. That said, without malice btw , why not think about other options that will take most but unfortunately not all the impetus for a generator off the board.

If u need to power a 120 or more volt motor such as an ac unit or microwave , yea to do it otherwise is an investment and full time McIver job. But if it's all the rest such as the low voltage side of things then for the most part unless u are camping in perpetual darkness a couple of quality solar panels attached to your roof ( not needing to have brackets to rotate into the sun's intensity, a decent solar charge controller , two or four 6 v golf cart batts will do the trick in spades for about $1200 in highest quality parts plus the install.

Yea this isn't a local RV dealer item unless u want to pay $10,000 for an incompetent install that leaks.

Look at Arizona wind and sun website. They are in Flagstaff and find a decent installer who actually knows what he is doing.

Ive done two solar installs one on my 29 hfs ( two Kyocera panels ) and one panel on my four wheel pop up using the Amazon stuff.

Go with the Kyocera !!

You need max quality to keep the charge up in low light conditions.

If it's so hot u need to run the AC all day or the electric heater all night , u need a better play on where u are vacationing or living full time.
marcfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator