Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Fors View Post
Ok thanks. I found A 4400/3550 champion for 280 with 33 mos left on warranty. I think that will work just fine. This is all so new. I’m interpreting that maybe I could run partial propane? We have no electrical where we are at at this time. So we rely on the generator
That generator is an open-frame generator contractor style generator and TOO LOUD for campground usage. Unless you're in an isolated area, you need an INVERTER generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #22

Sounds like a great price for generator to used as a home emergency backup. More than likely this is an open frame and not an inverter generator. Will you be using this on a private site? If not then for the consideration of others I would pass since this will likely be a loud generator.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #23

As others have now stated, unless you are at least a half mile from anyone else, using that generator is just just rude, and also inadequate for your needs.

A Honda eu3000 or Yamaha EF3000is are the ideal generator for your needs. They are quiet, reliable, fuel efficient and provide clean electrical power. They do not provide the full 30 amps but they will easily handle your AC. You will need to turn off the AC to run a microwave, most likely, but microwaves normally only need to run for a few minutes. The Harbor Freight Predator 3500 inverter is a budget friendly option that more and more people are coming to accept as a viable alternative. I do not have personal experience with it.

You are going to find lots of generators that say they provide 4500 or 7000 watts but in general those are split between 2 legs and therefor not very useful and probably very loud. You want to look for an inverter generator.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post

You are going to find lots of generators that say they provide 4500 or 7000 watts but in general those are split between 2 legs and therefor not very useful and probably very loud. You want to look for an inverter generator.
pay attention to this! this is exactly what happened with the generator in the original post! the generator said it was able to produce 3400 watts but that is only at 240 volts. it supplies only 1700 watts on two separate 120 volt outlets. you plugged your trailer into one of these 120 volt outlets and you only have half the power that the generator claims it could produce.

then looking at generators don't get misled by the terms watts and amps. generators use watts as their capacity measurement. rv use amps as their capacity measurement. to convert the two multiply the amps by 120 to get the equivalent watts. you want a generator that can support your 30 amp trailer which is about 3600 generator watts.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:53 AM   #25
Grammar Pedant

As others said, if you're camping in BFE with nobody else around, then those open frame generators are fine. If you're in an improved campground, then they are not. You'll need an inverter type generator. Some campgrounds even state a db limit for generators, though this is a distinct minority.

Altitude. I read through the thread, but I may have missed it. What altitude are you camping at? Altitude will rob ~3% per 1,000' above nominal, which is typically 500'. That is, if you're camping at 4,000' with a 2000W generator, that generator will only produce: 2000 * (1 - (4000 - 500)/1000 * 0.03) = 1,790 W. By camping at 4,000', you lost 10% of your generator's power ... and same with any other normally aspirated engine.

So, factor in your altitude when sizing your generator to fit your needs.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:53 AM   #26
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Fors View Post
Ok thanks. I found A 4400/3550 champion for 280 with 33 mos left on warranty. I think that will work just fine. This is all so new. I’m interpreting that maybe I could run partial propane? We have no electrical where we are at at this time. So we rely on the generator
Again, we can't help you much if you don't give us some specific information to work with. We have NO IDEA what the generator you are referring to in this post is capable of without knowing the make/model.

I have already explained to you how some generators DO NOT feed the entire wattage into all the outlets so whether this one will do any better is an unknown.

It 'seems' you are not in a campground but if you are, PLEASE heed the advice of not buying/using an open frame generator and instead, getting an inverter type.

Most open frame generators are too loud and do not supply full wattage to a single R/V outlet.

Most larger inverter generators do include a R/V type outlet with full wattage.
I linked to one earlier.

You need to know these things before you wind up in the exact same situation you are in now,

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #27

A couple of things to consider with portable generators.

First of course is noise. Get an Inverter type as they're the quietest.

Get one that has a 30 amp RV type receptacle on it. This way you get all the power the generator is capable of to the RV. Not split between two separate outputs.

Then remember that a portable generator is not like being plugged into a public utility. It doesn't have the ability to deliver surge power when starting things like A/C or Refrigerator compressors.

With a portable you need to manage your loads. If running A/C it's a good idea to make sure the batteries are charged first so the 700 watt load of the converter is greatly reduced. Start the A/C on fan mode and let it run for a few minutes before turning it to Cool mode the first start for the day. This can cut load on the compressor if the unit is "Heat Soaked".

It may be necessary to turn A/C to "Fan Mode" in order to run the microwave, depending on the specific generator.

Think of it like a really small pickup truck with a small weight limit. Before adding more load, you have to take some off first so it doesn't get overloaded.

Again, the big issue is starting appliances that have motors or a large start current like the microwave. Other loads like converter, water heater, may need to "take a break" until these appliances are started and running.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator