Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCClockDr View Post
We are running a 15K AC unit on a Honda EU2200i in ECO mode + the fridge & converter in trickle mode. Our secret Easy-Start
Amazon link - Hutch Mountain Easy-Start, Run AC with 1...
It learns the compressor and reduces start current demand by as much as 70%. Not cheap but extremely effective. We are simply satisfied customers/users. There are several youtube videos as well.
We ran our last trailer with a EU2000i and a Easy Start and could run the lights, AC (13.5 MBH) and now run our new trailer off a EU2200i with an Easy Start (13.5 MBH). We can run all the lights, fridge, AC with no issues in Eco mode.

It's well worth the investment in the Easy Start to not have to haul around a second generator....and it's also a lot less expensive.

Use the discount code "AIRSTREAM" and the Easy Start is $274.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #42

The one I’m talking about I have used many times camping. It has a run time on half load of 12 1/2 hours of a tank of gas. And yes it is RV friendly. Do your research on exact model
Jboshell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboshell1 View Post
The one I’m talking about I have used many times camping. It has a run time on half load of 12 1/2 hours of a tank of gas. And yes it is RV friendly. Do your research on exact model
What are the dB specs on the generator. Have a link?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #44

FWIW, I conducted a little test this morning at home(4200ft elevation). Flipped off all breakers except air conditioner. Plugged into my Honda Eu2000i, started it, and flipped it to ECO mode. Turn on the air conditioner, and push the thermostat down. It comes to life! The generator ramped up high for about 5 seconds, but no overload light. I let it run for a few minutes to make sure it’s cooling, and then start turning things on.
Fridge…check
Outlets…and both TVs check
Converter…again a huge ramp up, then settles back down. My batteries are full, and this will probably depend greatly on how low they are.
I didn’t even try the microwave or electric hot water. I’ve had it trip overload before with converter running full out, Microwave, and turning on electric hot water.

This is GREAT news. We’re leaving for a 4 day trip today with no hookups, and it’s supposed to be 100° Sunday. This is our last trip in this rig. We made a deal, and pick up the new one next week. I ordered a Microair for it. I wish I had known this years ago.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #45

Do another test when the AC kicks off and then has to start the second time when the thermostat turns it back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
FWIW, I conducted a little test this morning at home(4200ft elevation). Flipped off all breakers except air conditioner. Plugged into my Honda Eu2000i, started it, and flipped it to ECO mode. Turn on the air conditioner, and push the thermostat down. It comes to life! The generator ramped up high for about 5 seconds, but no overload light. I let it run for a few minutes to make sure it’s cooling, and then start turning things on.
Fridge…check
Converter…again a huge ramp up, then settles back down. My batteries are full, and this will probably depend greatly on how low they are.
I didn’t even try the microwave or electric hot water. I’ve had it trip overload before with converter running full out, Microwave, and turning on electric hot water.

This is GREAT news. We’re leaving for a 4 day trip today with no hookups, and it’s supposed to be 100° Sunday. This is our last trip in this rig. We made a deal, and pick up the new one next week. I ordered a Microair for it. I wish I had known this years ago.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #46

Firman 3300i Refurb $399.

I just bought a factory refurb Firman 3300/3000 Inverter rated at 57 db for $399 plus shipping. In my case it was $50 so $449 delivered Normally $725. at dealer. Check out Americas factory outlet. Bryon is awesome. Good luck
lookin48197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Fridge…check
Your converter is the wildcard.

If you have a 2-way fridge, just put the fridge on gas so you don't have to worry about those amps.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #48
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Champion has 4200 with a 30amp plug for $249. I just bought one on line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That generator is an open-frame contractor-style noise maker that will exceed campground noise rules.
NOT appropriate for campground usage.
The OP I looking for a quieter inverter generator. Champion makes a number of these more appropriate ones, that are well loved by the RV community and come with a 30amp RV outlet.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
What are the dB specs on the generator. Have a link?
Going to the Champion web site I don't see a 4200w model.

Everything above 3500 watt is open frame, contractor style with DB ratings of 68DB or MORE, well above that required by National Parks and State Parks.

There is a 4000w "Hybrid" that is a combination open frame/inverter and the specs for it is 64DB but again not a 4200w as mentioned.

Jboshell1, care to enlighten us?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Do another test when the AC kicks off and then has to start the second time when the thermostat turns it back on.

I did let it run, but it was almost a half hour before it cycled again since it’s not very warm this morning. I would likely use it the most for when we’ve been away from the trailer. Kick it on, and set the thermostat much lower than we really want. When it stops, it’ll be a while before we need it again.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Google Champion 4200w generator and up comes open-frame contractor-style generators.
There is no Champion 4200w INVERTER generator.
Unless you have the wrong wattage number.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #51

Get 2 for the price of 1 Honda

Westinghouse WH2200iXLT Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator - 1800 Rated Watts and 2200 Peak Watts - Gas Powered - CARB Compliant

Another option.
Available on Amazon.
flag19fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #52
Brake is on left

I've got a bunch of time on the HF 3500. Folks I race with have upwards of 1500 hours on them. It will run one AC and the microwave but the water heater on gas. It will also run my home furnace, fridge and deep freezer along with the sump pump.
Ine thing I did was cut an extra vent in the front panel for more air flow across the inverter and to the air box. It seemed to run rough and rich before.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:31 AM   #53

I have the HF Predator 3500 and could not be happier. Runs the 15K A/C no problem plus fridge, converter, etc (have not tried to microwave but wouldn't do that with A/C on). Extremely quiet unit with very thoughtful design which makes oil changes and basic maintenance very easy. Electric start too! As mentioned earlier, the one drawback is weight, this one comes in at 100lbs and is no joke to move around. Sturdy handles and small wheels are helpful when on a paved surface.

Trailer upgrades (just getting started!):
Progressive EMS HW50C, Anderson levelers/stab blocks
mduck93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:37 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduck93 View Post
I have the HF Predator 3500 and could not be happier. Runs the 15K A/C no problem plus fridge, converter, etc (have not tried to microwave but wouldn't do that with A/C on). Extremely quiet unit with very thoughtful design which makes oil changes and basic maintenance very easy. Electric start too! As mentioned earlier, the one drawback is weight, this one comes in at 100lbs and is no joke to move around. Sturdy handles and small wheels are helpful when on a paved surface.
Yep we have 4 in our camping family
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator