Old 12-30-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

got a stumper

first off this only happens when i florida . never when out west so could have something to do with humidity .

ok have what to me smells like a dead fish . i have a xlr29hsf toy hauler . the smell is in the cabinet that backs to the bathroom . now please read completely .

on this wall is a full size cabinet from floor to ceiling . with the radio and small space in between bottom and top cabinets . no smell in the upper cabinets , no smell when pulling the radio but the lower cabinet . with one shelf in it smells like a dead fish . Now the smell is stronger on the top shelf of this cabinet .

To try and find issues i cut the back wall open on top and bottom shelf this opens up where you can see under shower . this is not a wet wall meaning no water lines or vents just a hollow wall . opened access to under shower no smell . open panel next to cabinet that has the city water in , black tank flush, tanks fill and electric hook up NO smell in this area at all . It only comes from the lower cabinet and mostly from the top shelf in the lower cabinet . i have cut the floor covering up nothing under there but clean plywood and no smell . i have washed down inside cabinet with bleach water and even wiped with acetone . still smells . since the vents for grey tank is under bathroom sink no smell . kitchen grey tank vent is under kitchen sink no smell . black tank goes to roof but i'm not getting a sewer smell it's a dead fish animal smell . opened up everything no dead animals , no dead fish , no dead bugs , and is isolated to this one cabinet

Has anyone experienced this ? i am trying here before i open the under belly but fill it will do me no good . the holes i cut in back of cabinet are full size and nothing in there the side of cabinet i drilled 2 2" holes in the luan and nothing . i'm at a loss any ideas ???

MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #2

Take shelf out and see if smell dissipates, if it does. Maybe a worker had a fresh fish at lunch and you got the lucky spot where he ate

dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
Take shelf out and see if smell dissipates, if it does. Maybe a worker had a fresh fish at lunch and you got the lucky spot where he ate
Funny but no help ! shelf is only a 1/8 piece of luan and if you read my post you would see that it only happens here in florida out west no odor and just to add just started last winter a month are so before i was leaving . emptied out cabinet could find nothing . then off the the west where there was no odor . now back in Florida and after a month and 1/2 odor starts up again . been into every nook and cranny no luck and found nothing dead . STUMPED !
Old 12-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #4

I know this is going to sounds weird and some will say LP does not smell like dead fish but this is what happened to us. Is there any propane hoses that go thru that area? About a year ago the wife and I were sitting inside and it started to smell fishy/sewer smell, we couldn't figure it out, looked all over, it was stronger by the stove and fridge but couldn't pin point it, went outside didn't smell anything, shut off the propane tanks smell went away, trouble shot the issue the next day, turned out to be a flexible hose in the slide going to the stove was leaking, just started, it sure didn't smell like propane.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I know this is going to sounds weird and some will say LP does not smell like dead fish but this is what happened to us. Is there any propane hoses that go thru that area? About a year ago the wife and I were sitting inside and it started to smell fishy/sewer smell, we couldn't figure it out, looked all over, it was stronger by the stove and fridge but couldn't pin point it, went outside didn't smell anything, shut off the propane tanks smell went away, trouble shot the issue the next day, turned out to be a flexible hose in the slide going to the stove was leaking, just started, it sure didn't smell like propane.
No 0 gas lines on this side of camper and none anywhere close to this cabinet . thanks for the try . Getting ready to open underbelly below this area and see if something is wafting up this smell . been opening up every panel and access and it is confined to this one cabinet . Like i mentioned cut out back wall of cabinet both upper and lower shelf area . it's got me stumped and am ready to open underbelly to investigate further
Old 01-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #6

We have the same toy hauler. Any way you can separate the left cabinet from the right cabinet? Wires from the radio go through the ceiling so there are penetrations in the area. And you have all the plumbing in the area beside the cabinet behind/under the shower, with penetrations through the floor and ceilings. Florida will be more humid than most of out west, and some odors are more reactive at higher humidity. Is it a wet insulation odor? Any mice getting in while in Florida? Does it get worse when you run an exhaust fan? Air moves through strange paths, and can carry odors to interesting places. Good luck finding the source.
whr2nxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
Head Rambler

What type counter top is on the bottom cabinet?
It could be either the glue they used on the counter top, or the base wood, or the laminate itself that has an odor when in the presence of high humidity.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
What type counter top is on the bottom cabinet?
It could be either the glue they used on the counter top, or the base wood, or the laminate itself that has an odor when in the presence of high humidity.
The shelf is just a thin piece of luan . things will be cooling off and drying out here over the next few days we will see if there is any difference . as of yet have not found anything causing the smell . went under the unit and no smells down there
Old 01-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whr2nxt View Post
We have the same toy hauler. Any way you can separate the left cabinet from the right cabinet? Wires from the radio go through the ceiling so there are penetrations in the area. And you have all the plumbing in the area beside the cabinet behind/under the shower, with penetrations through the floor and ceilings. Florida will be more humid than most of out west, and some odors are more reactive at higher humidity. Is it a wet insulation odor? Any mice getting in while in Florida? Does it get worse when you run an exhaust fan? Air moves through strange paths, and can carry odors to interesting places. Good luck finding the source.
the stereo wire do go up through the ceiling . no other plumbing except what comes in from the supply . no odar behind that panel . then it goes into wall . after cutting out back of cabinet i can see where the water lines and electric then go into the floor and under the unit . no vent pipes in this area . The shower drain is on the garage wall . the vent comes up under the bathroom cabinet . no odors there just this one dam cabinet even with the back walls cut out . no smell under shower where the small access panel is . still baffeled and searching
Old 01-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
I agree. If the shelf stinks, throw it away. Maybe it's the binder in the Luan sheet.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I agree. If the shelf stinks, throw it away. Maybe it's the binder in the Luan sheet.
Not the shelf . a thin 1/8 piece of luan been cleaned for process of elimination first with bleach and then with acetone . as has all the surfaces in there . i wish it was as easy . Thought something died in wall . Never had issues with mice as i've sealed up underbelly long ago and never any vermin in 5 yrs . this just started last yr and am wondering if the seal around one of the tank vents is bad but could not smell anything when i partially opened it up. did not want to remove completely because i have it sealed so well so only took down a small portion buy the grey and black tanks . I getting on roof next and then pull skylight in bathroom . but if it was in ceiling i would smell it all over and not just this one cabinet on the floor