Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #1

GPS help

I love our Garmin 760. It always leads me to the destination, HOWEVER I made the wrong assumption that it knew I was pulling a trailer! Although I saved maybe 2 miles, it took me off route 76 in western PA and had me drive 10% grades (20 mph for 7 miles!). The last 30 miles took me nearly 90 minutes -ugh.

Does anyone know if there's a download for "truckers" and us RV folks that gives us the widest and straightest roads - rather than the shortest??

I'd love y'alls feedback.
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

None that I know of. However, about a month ago I received an email from Camping World which included a survey promoted by Good Sam. It was about a GPS for RVers and what you want in features, price, restrictions etc. I guess they are trying to work with a manufacturer to develope one. We have CoPilot 11 Laptop which has restrictions such as heights, propane etc. Unfortunately it is not compatible with Vista 64 at this time but will work with Windows XP and earlier versions. It is available from Alk Technologies but it does require using a laptop while you travel.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #3

Garmin has one for truckers clicky
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvron View Post
I love our Garmin 760. It always leads me to the destination, HOWEVER I made the wrong assumption that it knew I was pulling a trailer! Although I saved maybe 2 miles, it took me off route 76 in western PA and had me drive 10% grades (20 mph for 7 miles!). The last 30 miles took me nearly 90 minutes -ugh.

Does anyone know if there's a download for "truckers" and us RV folks that gives us the widest and straightest roads - rather than the shortest??

I'd love y'alls feedback.

You can go to Garmins web site and contact them, if they don't have anything then maybe it may prompt them to come up with something for us.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #5

I leave my GPS (Garmin) set on fastest time instead of shortest distance. It rarely ever takes me off of the interstate system.
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

Maybe I am old school, but I always consult a paper map before blindly following the GPS. That way you can get an idea of the type of road it wants to send you down. I think most of the GPS units let you "drive" the route at home to see the various routes it maps for you. At least mine does, which is how I knew it was somewhat incorrect.

For instance, if I just followed the GPS when we go to Chicago, I would have to go over a dozen mountains in Va and WVa plus right through the middle of Cincinnati and Chicago to get to our destination.

I do have mine set for fastest time but it doesn't know what the actual roads may be like.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #7

One other thing you can change on you GPS is the "AVOIDANCE", but hills and mountains are not in the selection.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Here are some more available units. You can also google "gps for truckers"
http://www.gps-planet.com/truckgps.html

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #9

Thanks for your thoughts. Guess I'm just gonna have to study the route before setting out. The more you live the more you learn.
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
Site Team

That's your best bet. I always print a route to take with us when going to unfamiliar places. You never know when that wonderful electronic device might give up the ghost.

Having said that, my next GPS will be the Garmin 465T. It would be great to enter your vehicle specs and let it avoid low clearances, etc.