Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #1

Grey tank (not black tank) sensor cleaning question

This thread is only concerning grey tanks, not the black tank. And only concerns sensor functioning and not odor control. I've talked to two representatives of companies that sell black tank treatment products. Interestingly, both discussed how what will work in a black tank will not usually work in the grey tanks to keep sensors working. They both said that the problem with grey tanks, especially the tank that services the kitchen sink, is the oil and grease, from food and cooking, which manages to get into the tank coats the walls of the tank. They both talked about using lye to clean the tank, which sounds a little extreme to me. But, since they mentioned oil and grease coating the walls of the tank, I later wondered about products that are used to keep grease traps working. So, I went on Amazon and found a number of enzyme cleaners (Green Gobbler for example) used for grease trap maintenance that break down grease and oil, and other organic residues. So I'm wondering if any of you have tried a similar product and if so what kind of results did you have?
littleapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:35 PM   #2

Personally I have never used the sensors.....

Some have upgraded the sensors to a better type.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:42 PM   #3

Try putting some dawn dish soap with a bag or 2 of ice and some water prior to your next outing. Do it just before hitting the road so that it sloshes around in the tank.
USAF Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Retired View Post
Try putting some dawn dish soap with a bag or 2 of ice and some water prior to your next outing. Do it just before hitting the road so that it sloshes around in the tank.
How do you put a bag of ice in your kitchen gray tank?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:41 PM   #5

You know, that’s a good point. Lol I guess I had black tank on my mind. Disregard my last post.
USAF Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:45 PM   #6

I’ve been using T R Bowlin’s Bio-Geo Method since day 1 - very happy. one for black (dawn+boraxo), and one for gray (zepp+boraxo). Little bit of science to save the day.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:15 PM   #7

I should have stated: Note that T R Bowlin’s Bio-Geo Method has a separate approach to the gray tank includes the use of ZEP orange degreaser (+boraxo) specifically to deal with the grease that is much more prevalent in the gray tank (thanks to fats, grease and oils) than in the black (waste) tank.

Black tank:
• Dawn + Boraxo

Gray tank:
• ZEP + Boraxo <- degreaser as a solvent for this tank

I've used this method since new and enjoy working sensors and nice easy tank rinses to clear.

(Yeah, the title references "black tank." Fast forward to about 12:30 for the gray tank portion)

15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:51 PM   #8

Investigate "Hammerhead" by Corrosion Technologies (makers of Rejex). It's used in RV, Marine and Aviation holding tanks. It's a enzyme base liquid, 2oz for 40 gal tank. I have been using this product for several years and it keeps my sensors working. I allways add a few gallons (2 or 3) of water and 2oz chemical after dumping and before departing. Driving seems to slosh the mix around and helps clean the tanks/sensors. I am also cautious of keeping as much food/grease out of the tank which I assume you do. I recommend purchasing direct, they have a guarantee. I purchase a lot of products from them beside Rejex and Hammerhead, check out the website. Give them a call with your questions.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:55 PM   #9

Septic-safe?

Does anyone know whether any of these recommendations are septic-safe? The enzymes and such?

At our campground somebody used some kind of treatment that wiped out the biome of the septic system and really made a mess of things.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, cleaning, question, tank