Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #61

I know. Saw them and moved them for a straighter shot. Another trick you can do, if not already. I cleaned out the AC runs in the ceiling and blocked the channels after the last vent in the run. Much better cooling now. On a 90 plus day, get temps from ceiling vents in the low 50s.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #62

Have not been that close to one![emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
A 2" duct can produce like 45 cfm at a 1/2 static, and people wounded why there units don't heat. 45 cfm is like a elephant fart.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
Since I couldn't get the pictures to show up in this thread, I created an album, and put all the pictures there.

I didn't even think about covering the vents to see if there is a difference with the other vents. The only one I wouldn't be able to cover is the one in the bathroom. That one is just a piece of duct sticking up from underneath the floor, into the space below the tub. I am going to try that and see if there is a difference.
Rachael, I have a 2017 Heritage Glen TT and as Thurman stated covering vents, sorry to say, it did not work for me. My RV was still under warranty, so my dealership changed the vent covers in the bathroom and bedroom (location of furnace) to a vent that I can open or close. Even when both are in the closed position, made no difference in the living room area.
I have one advantage, an electric fireplace with a thermostat control in the livingroom to which I use while camping to compensate for the furnace not supplying heat to that area.

I am also not mechanically inclined and refuse to open the sealed underbelly.
Even more so, the dealership did not want to open underbelly either for fear of breaking underbelly barrier seal along with cold weather insulation. A cop out by dealership, unknown. So now I just live with it cause it because TT is now out of warranty.

Good Luck if you do find the remedy, I would love to know. Thank you!
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #64

Quote:
A 2" duct can produce like 45 cfm at a 1/2 static, and people wounded why there units don't heat. 45 cfm is like a elephant fart.
I have absolutely no no clue what this means lol.
Rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Rachael, I have a 2017 Heritage Glen TT and as Thurman stated covering vents, sorry to say, it did not work for me. My RV was still under warranty, so my dealership changed the vent covers in the bathroom and bedroom (location of furnace) to a vent that I can open or close. Even when both are in the closed position, made no difference in the living room area.
I have one advantage, an electric fireplace with a thermostat control in the livingroom to which I use while camping to compensate for the furnace not supplying heat to that area.

I am also not mechanically inclined and refuse to open the sealed underbelly.
Even more so, the dealership did not want to open underbelly either for fear of breaking underbelly barrier seal along with cold weather insulation. A cop out by dealership, unknown. So now I just live with it cause it because TT is now out of warranty.

Good Luck if you do find the remedy, I would love to know. Thank you!
If you go back a page or two, you'll see I found the issue, as well as photos. I know you dont want to cut the underbelly, but you could have the exact same problem that I did have, but you won't know for sure what exactly is the problem.

If it is under warranty, they HAVE to fix whatever is wrong with it. As someone else stated here in the thread, the coroplast (what the underbelly is made of), is bolted, and glued, if I remember correctly, to the frame of the trailer. If you do go the route of unscrewing the bolts, instead of cutting it like I did, you could always get some flex seal, and apply it to the frame before you bolt it back in place. I'm not mechanically inclined per say, but I do know how to fix things just by looking at how in ts set up.

I wasnt fortunate enough to have this trailer come with an electric fireplace, so I'm having to use a space heater, but, since I found the problem, and have it temporarily fixed, I haven't had to use the space heater so far. This Tuesday I will be crawling underneath my trailer again, to cut approximately a 20ft by 2ft/3ft rectangle section, and fully dropping it down. This way I can not only see everything and spot any other issues with the ducts, but see if there are any hidden issues that I may not be able to see/know about. It will also give me and opportunity to bundle, and zip tie all the wires that run through the underbelly that are just loosely (noticed this when I was temp fixing the ducts) hanging down, and if need be, get some of that pool noodle looking pipe insulation to wrap around it, and adhere it to the sub floor, so it can't cause any electrical issues later on.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:00 AM   #66

The culprit!

So on the 16th, I crawled underneath my trailer, and opened up a good chunk of the underbelly from where the vent in my room is, all the way down to where the furnace sits between the black/grey water tanks. As it turns out, the duct that was going from the furnace to my room,.was torn not just in one spot, but a total of 5!

I am attaching a picture of all the areas of where it was torn, and where it got cut to be fixed/pulled off the furnace.

I took and straightened the new duct (fortunately didn't have to replace any of the others), as well as put stove pipe elbows on the vents themselves, to connect the ducts to, and shortened the living/bedroom ones and made the a straight shot to the ducts.

The down side, is that I now have to shorten the one for the bathroom. When I was under the trailer, it looked like someone e had fixed the duct going to the bathroom, since it appeared there was tape around it.

It literally took me all day, and well after dark, to tape the underbelly back up.

On a side note, I did catch a.glimpse of a random wire, but have figured out, it's probably for the grey water sensor, which isnt working atm.

I did have help at the end, but I will just save up and pay someone else to do it next time lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_014658.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	189476  
Old 10-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #67

I'm impressed!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #68
Site Team

That is impressive!
You should be very proud of yourself for tackling that.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:03 AM   #69

Always had the faith that you could do it, NOW HOW IS YOUR AIR FLOW? That had to come from the factory like that. Send a picture to them, and let them see what a sorry job they did. Congrats and stay warm this winter. It's been a pleasure helping you....[emoji41]

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #70

Quote:
Always had the faith that you could do it, NOW HOW IS YOUR AIR FLOW? That had to come from the factory like that. Send a picture to them, and let them see what a sorry job they did. Congrats and stay warm this winter. It's been a pleasure helping you....[emoji41]
I can actually feel the air coming from.the living/bedroom vents with out having to bend over now. My room gets pretty warm now lol.

I gotta put the vent cover back on in my room, and eventually replace all of them with ones.you can open, and close.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #71

Bathroom Duct

After I posted my earlier reply with the picture of the shredded duct, I tackled the bathroom duct. As it turns out, that duct had multiple holes, as well as a pretty big tear, hence the tape I saw on it. I also cut 4 feet off that duct (it looks like they used at least a 6ft 2in diameter duct), and shortened it up.

So far it seems like everything is working like a charm, but won't know until tonight. I am attaching pictures of this whole mess as well lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_134854.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	189503   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_145431.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	189504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_134232.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	189505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_134237.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	189506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_134244.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	189507  

Old 10-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #72

Quote:
That had to come from the factory like that....[emoji41]
Had Camping World done what they said they were going to do, which was to go through the trailer, and make sure everything was indeed working, and nothing was broken, they would have found that whole mess. Someone wasnt doing their job apparently. How's the saying go? "You had one job". 😂😂
Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #73
Site Team

Quote:
Had Camping World done what they said they were going to do, which was to go through the trailer, and make sure everything was indeed working, and nothing was broken, they would have found that whole mess. Someone wasnt doing their job apparently. How's the saying go? "You had one job". [emoji23][emoji23]
Guess you haven't read much about Camping World.
They have a terrible reputation in the RV community, especially their service departments.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:10 AM   #74

Quote:
Had Camping World done what they said they were going to do, which was to go through the trailer, and make sure everything was indeed working, and nothing was broken, they would have found that whole mess. Someone wasnt doing their job apparently. How's the saying go? "You had one job". [emoji23][emoji23]
It wont help you now but maybe in the future... go behind and recheck everything a dealer claimed to do or check.
In your case it wouldn't have been easy to spot the duct issue during a quick walk through.

Unfortunately I have only found one dealer that told the truth about what was done and not done before delivery. You would think if they wanted repeat business or referrals they would be truthful and do things properly.

Great job diagnosing and repairing your problem!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
It wont help you now but maybe in the future... go behind and recheck everything a dealer claimed to do or check.
In your case it wouldn't have been easy to spot the duct issue during a quick walk through.

Unfortunately I have only found one dealer that told the truth about what was done and not done before delivery. You would think if they wanted repeat business or referrals they would be truthful and do things properly.

Great job diagnosing and repairing your problem!
Since fixing those whole heating mess, I've had time to really think about this whole inspection debacle. The only reason I can even remotely think of as to why they didn't do a full, and total inspection, is because 1) It was a 4 year old used trailer, and 2) If I remember correctly (I would have to look at all the paperwork I signed), was purchased as is.

Regardless of it being a used trailer, they still should have done the inspection. This whole process was rushed not only on my part, but on their end as well, since I had a very short window of when I needed the trailer. That made for a lit of forgotten questions, and myself not going through with a through self walk through nothing any issues I came across.

There were some things I did notice (like the reduced air flow through all the heating ducts), but didn't really give much thought to them since I knew things wouldn't work the same way as they would with a house or trailer.

So far to date, I have either noticed these following issues and have yet to fix them, or have fixed them all together:

Still needs fixed:

1) AC Ducts - Theres no actual ducts, and what's there, has fallen, reducing the air flow

2) Grey Water Tank Sensor - Fairly certain that the wires are not attached. Noticed this when replacing the heating ducts.

3) The lifters for my bed - With my queen size mattress, the lifters cant support the weight of the bed, so the storage underneath the bed is not easily accesible.

4) Make the big loft bed easily accessible - There is just a short, steep ladder that not only was poorly designed, but almost impossible to use.

5) Fix the underbelly - Need to insulate, and replace the coroplast qith something more practical, and sturdy.

6) Make skirting for the trailer - I'm using pallets (have to take apart and glue together) to make the skirting.

Has been fixed:

1) Propane Hoses - Noticed that one of the hoses was split, and slowly leaking propane

2) Purchased a 400# (120gal) propane tank - The two 7gal tanks would not be cost efficient, nor last all of a winter here in WA.

3) Replaced one of the rear stabilizers - It was not only bent (it was not really useable), but rusted as well. Was told "It wasn't like that when it was on the lot."

4) Made a bed frame - One of the beds in my daughters room (my trailer is a bunkhouse), was just a huge folded mattress that layed on the floor, was replaced by a memory foam mattress, and to make more storage space.

5) Replaced heating ducts.

I am sure that there are still things that I will have to fix, but for now, things are working as intended for the most part. I am incredibly proud of myself that I accomplished a task that most others wouldn't even entertain doing themselves. Plus, with no company willing to come to me, I saved quite a bit of money doing it myself.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Guess you haven't read much about Camping World.
They have a terrible reputation in the RV community, especially their service departments.
Unfortunately, I had only about a month time frame to find a trailer, get Loan (the loan process can be tedious, and take a while to get approved), find a place to put the trailer, and get it delivered. So I literally had no time to look into the different RV companies. We'll chalk this one up to lesson learned, and to speak up when things are noticed.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #77

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Rachel,

Good outcome and good story on perseverance. Many that frequent here just complain and whine about problems. You took matters into your hands and made it work for you. Now you have this task completed things that come up will be easier to take on and look after.

Congratulations on a job Well Done!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #78

For others that may run into this thread. I had my underbelly off. The flex heat ducts installed were way too long. To get max airflow thru flex, it should be pulled tight. Also, I've seen a number of posts from people claiming that various critters had chewed holes into the ducts resulting in even worse air flow. So I replaced 99% of my duct work with rigid aluminum screwed together and sealed with aluminum tape. There was one 3 foot section where the duct ran between the frame and a grey tank where there just wasn't enough room to get the rigid installed properly. After all the changes, I estimate that the airflow to the front ducts in my trailer has improved by almost 50%. I've got pictures of the work posted in another thread...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #79

Have to give you credit for doing something most would not. Good job! As to your list of future fixes:
#1. After cleaning up the duct area around the one vent you have (aluminum tape will help) try using some small fans to move the air that is just being dumped down from that one vent.
#2 Try re-hooking wires to grey water but keep in mind they are notorious for being inaccurate. You will learn how many showers or how long you can go before dumping.
#3 The lifters on the bed are usually junk. Heavier duty ones may help but we just use an old broom handle cut to length to prop it up.
#4 Measure the height of the ladder you need. I have an aluminum tubular one from my last trailer that if it will work I will ship it to you. You may have to reassemble but it sounds like you are up to the task.
No suggestions for 5 and 6.
Again..Great job! Post minimum height for ladder that will work. It was cut so it may be too short.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #80
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
So on the 16th, I crawled underneath my trailer, and opened up a good chunk of the underbelly from where the vent in my room is, all the way down to where the furnace sits between the black/grey water tanks. As it turns out, the duct that was going from the furnace to my room,.was torn not just in one spot, but a total of 5!

I am attaching a picture of all the areas of where it was torn, and where it got cut to be fixed/pulled off the furnace.

I took and straightened the new duct (fortunately didn't have to replace any of the others), as well as put stove pipe elbows on the vents themselves, to connect the ducts to, and shortened the living/bedroom ones and made the a straight shot to the ducts.

The down side, is that I now have to shorten the one for the bathroom. When I was under the trailer, it looked like someone e had fixed the duct going to the bathroom, since it appeared there was tape around it.

It literally took me all day, and well after dark, to tape the underbelly back up.

On a side note, I did catch a.glimpse of a random wire, but have figured out, it's probably for the grey water sensor, which isnt working atm.

I did have help at the end, but I will just save up and pay someone else to do it next time lol.
Now you've done it...

Those holes in the duct work is actually a listed feature of most RV's...

They call it the 'Heated Underbelly'!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer