Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

Help and advice needed please.

Hi All,
I've been reading other threads and see I am not the only one with problems. Readers Digest: I just purchased a new 2014 FR 5th wheel. I have a 27 item punch list from windows that have big scratches in them to a bathroom wall that is de-laminating. The dealer that I am using says that the de-laminating wall has to go back to factory for repair, that they are unable to fix it. As of yesterday it has been sitting in their yard for 3 weeks. If anyone can give me any help or advice on what I can do to try and move this process along I would greatly appreciate it? Has anyone every had to send their unit back and if so can you explain the process and time frame. The dealer also stated that since it had to go back to the factory they were not going to fix any of the items on the punch list.
Thanks in advance for any help.

2014 FR Salem Hemisphere Lite 366BH
2016 Ram 3500 Dually
MickeyTrain5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

If you can travel head for the factory, sitting in a lot for three weeks is flat out unacceptable!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #3

You'll need to contact the factory rep for Salem and coordinate a visit for repair (if you are able to do so). You posted in General Tech & Repair section. So if you repost in the Salem section, someone will be able to tell you who the FR rep is and contact info. A good dealer can also do this coordination for you but it doesn't sound like your dealer is doing very well. Don't hesitate to call your FR rep directly. I had good luck working with mine and I believe most folks do as well.

I took my RV to a dealer in Indiana for repairs as recommended by my factory rep. They did a fantastic job. They are Indiana Interstate also known as Cross RV. That might be another option for you if your dealer isn't working well with you.

Good luck!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

Hope your 'Dealer' is near you and you bought the two year warranty.... you will use it.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
If you can travel head for the factory, sitting in a lot for three weeks is flat out unacceptable!
My FW is going back to the factory from my house on Sept 28, being repaired Oct 5 and brought to my house in November. That date was set on July 1. It has a major repair but all factory fixes should have schedules for the fixes.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #6

Thanks again, I will get on the phone with the Salem service department first thing Monday morning.

2016 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 08-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #7

Heres my experience with the Columbus Factory: First winter I returned to dealer for punch list, they could not do some of the repairs (like your situation) and the factory sent a driver to take it back to factory. I drove to factory 7 months later to inspect and pick up. YES 7 Months. But it was over the winter. At the Goshen rally last year the factory said it would need to come back for more repairs. They sent a driver to my house and picked up unit, hauled back to factory. 7 months later I drove out to pick up. Now it may seem like a LONG time, but truth be told it was over the winter and we would not be using it anyway. The BIG deal is to INSIST on getting added extras installed while it is at the factory. ie: second A/C , washer / dryer, slide toppers, hydraulic leveling system, etc, etc. If you are paitent you will make out good. Remember you are the one being inconvienced, your plans are the ones needing changing, your reservations need canceling. FWIW

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Remember you are the one being inconvienced, your plans are the ones needing changing, your reservations need canceling. FWIW
Thanks Paul, my anxiety level keeps creeping up. Living in So. FL we get to camp all year and I all ready have 3 reservations made for camping around my kids birthdays. I guess I'll probably have to cancel them now.
Tim

2016 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 08-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #9

I have heard of some folks who have arrainged a date with the factory, and arrived and waited (hotel) while repairs are complete. This may be a quicker solution, but will probably reduce the chances of getting many extras. A call to the factory and or dealer will get it figured out.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #10

My MH was sent back to the factory. The issue may be to get a time when they can work on it at the factory. In my case it was about 3 months out during a trip I scheduled to Fl. They were able to push back the factory date so I could make my trip to Fl. They arranged to get to factory and back after repairs. This was 4 months after warranty expired and completed my punch list there. In addition they caught a couple additional things while at factory. I would be much happier if repairs are done at factory after my experience with dealer repairs, IMHO.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
My MH was sent back to the factory. The issue may be to get a time when they can work on it at the factory. In my case it was about 3 months out during a trip I scheduled to Fl. They were able to push back the factory date so I could make my trip to Fl. They arranged to get to factory and back after repairs. This was 4 months after warranty expired and completed my punch list there. In addition they caught a couple additional things while at factory. I would be much happier if repairs are done at factory after my experience with dealer repairs, IMHO.
I just purchased the 5th wheel June 29th. We did a 2 day trip at an campground near my house to do the punch list then I took the trailer to a dealer to fix a 28 items most I thought were small list. The problem I am told is because one of my walls is delaminating, they also have to replace windows, mirrors, wheels etc. Even if the factory told us we can not fix the trailer until Dec we would not be able to use it because the seal around the shower is not there and water just floods out onto the floor. So we are just stuck paying for a trailer we can not use.I guess I will just start calling FR in the AM and see if I can get somewhere.

2016 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 08-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #12

They had to replace the entire door side of my camper this year. It sat at the dealer for 3 months and the same at the factory. When the replacement siding came, it was the wrong color so that was another month. Then they had to ship it back without all of the decals, but more importantly, there were three other major problems the factory ignored and the dealer had to take a month to fix. They did extend the warranty for another year from the date of final acceptance by me. All of my problems were caused by sloppy construction and zero quality control at the factory. It is a common occurrence these days.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpi26 View Post
All of my problems were caused by sloppy construction and zero quality control at the factory. It is a common occurrence these days.
I have some of the same issues. The crown molding has a 1 inch gap between pieces, the seam tape has 1/4" extra hanging on end pieces. There are patched wholes for some reason in walls in the middle of wall paper and the big thing is the wall that all the wall paper has separated from the wall and where the wall is suppose be joined together, the wall is pushed out almost as if the piece was to long when the put it in and the just tried papering over it. A lot of this would have been caught at the factory as you say if the had better quality control.

2016 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #14

Just thought I would update, I spoke with FR today and was told to email them my list of needed repairs, pictures, and VIN number and he would check there records to see if they can find the dealer's warranty request. The guy I also spoke with said they do everything the can to keep the trailer from coming back to the factory and if they could farm it out to someone else that was closer they would. His last comments to me was, "If you don't here from me by tomorrow afternoon please call me, my job is to make sure everything gets done and you are happy with everything. I'm here for you." I know it's the typical line everyone gets but at least it's a start, he seem genuinely concerned.
Thanks to all who replied on my post with your advice, suggestions, comments, and concerns. It helps to know you can come to this forum and help.

2016 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #15

Good Luck!! Glad to hear you can start out on a good note!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyTrain5 View Post
Just thought I would update, I spoke with FR today and was told to email them my list of needed repairs, pictures, and VIN number and he would check there records to see if they can find the dealer's warranty request. The guy I also spoke with said they do everything the can to keep the trailer from coming back to the factory and if they could farm it out to someone else that was closer they would. His last comments to me was, "If you don't here from me by tomorrow afternoon please call me, my job is to make sure everything gets done and you are happy with everything. I'm here for you." I know it's the typical line everyone gets but at least it's a start, he seem genuinely concerned.
Thanks to all who replied on my post with your advice, suggestions, comments, and concerns. It helps to know you can come to this forum and help.
No! This is what Forest River had stated at the Rally in Goshen IN; this last week. I have had three different 5er's since 2007 and this is the first time that the factory will even discuss anything with the owners of their products.
My other two were from different manufactures and one is out of business now and the other was a KEYSTONE product; try dealing with them.

After what I saw last week at the Rally was truly amazing as to what Forest River is willing to do to help us out with our trailers/motorhomes. Sorry for your inconvenience but I really think Forest River will make it right. I would also ask for an extend warranty period on your trailer.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #17

Factory service

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyTrain5 View Post
Hi All,
I've been reading other threads and see I am not the only one with problems. Readers Digest: I just purchased a new 2014 FR 5th wheel. I have a 27 item punch list from windows that have big scratches in them to a bathroom wall that is de-laminating. The dealer that I am using says that the de-laminating wall has to go back to factory for repair, that they are unable to fix it. As of yesterday it has been sitting in their yard for 3 weeks. If anyone can give me any help or advice on what I can do to try and move this process along I would greatly appreciate it? Has anyone every had to send their unit back and if so can you explain the process and time frame. The dealer also stated that since it had to go back to the factory they were not going to fix any of the items on the punch list.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Oh you bet I have taken my coach back to the factory and will in future for any items they can work on! The issue you will have this time of year is a waiting list to get in (peak season) I fully understand that it is new, but everyone needs to understand "no one is the only customer" So with that all you need to do is contact the FR service department (should be in your paperwork) and start there as the factory needs to log your issues and then set up a time to get you in line.

There is a location just down the road from the factory that also dose factory repairs (warranty work) it is FR overflow location here at (Home Page) They are the best shop I have EVERY dealt with, so good you will wonder why you did not hear about then sooner.

So I like so many fully understand how upset you are but just like anything like this a new car, a new house they all have issue when new, so just take a deep breath and start the journey.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote