Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
RV-er for Life

Help me - cutting through panel to access space behind it

First of all… I’m not a finish carpenter… so I need help, please

All insights, thoughts and experiences you have to share are welcome.

I hope to cut through this panel (see pic) to make shelves to store shoes.

The space behind is empty… just part of the large storage area next to and below the couch/Murphy bed (that can now only be accessed from outside)

Has anyone done something similar? What tips might you have?
Attached Images

IowaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:49 PM   #2

Wide masking tape to keep your jigsaw from marring the surface and chipping the edges...and a fine tooth blade.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:01 PM   #3
RV-er for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
Wide masking tape to keep your jigsaw from marring the surface and chipping the edges...and a fine tooth blade.
Makes sense… thank you.

Any thoughts on how/where to find trim to match the light/white-ish panel?

Then there is… how to affix the shelves from the back side? Maybe I can find a pre-made small bookcase style set of shelves.

If I choose to put a hinged door over the new opening…. Then there is that issue of how. I’ve heard of keeping the part I cut out and using a picture frame to border the door.

I may be at this a while. DW says it needs to look nice when I’m done.

Maybe I can order a cabinet door from Forest River factory?
Old 08-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #4

You say you’re not a finish carpenter but do you have some woodworking skills? Personally I’d use painters tape for the outline of cutout and place any marks on that. It will also help the plywood from splintering. Instead of a jigsaw I’d use a multi tool with a fine tooth blade. It will make it easier to create a straight line without a jig. For the shelf I’d just go to HD or Lowes and get a piece of mdf shelving that comes close to matching your cabinetry and cut it to size. I’d hold it in place with 1x1 in each internal corner. For the edge trim just go to HD or Lowes and find trim that is acceptable to you and stain it to match and clear coat it with a spray can. Their paint dept will help.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
You say you’re not a finish carpenter but do you have some woodworking skills? Personally I’d use painters tape for the outline of cutout and place any marks on that. It will also help the plywood from splintering. Instead of a jigsaw I’d use a multi tool with a fine tooth blade. It will make it easier to create a straight line without a jig. For the shelf I’d just go to HD or Lowes and get a piece of mdf shelving that comes close to matching your cabinetry and cut it to size. I’d hold it in place with 1x1 in each internal corner. For the edge trim just go to HD or Lowes and find trim that is acceptable to you and stain it to match and clear coat it with a spray can. Their paint dept will help.
X2 on the multi tool. much easier to control and see what you doing then using a Jig saw.
Personally I would build a template and use a router before I would use a Jig saw.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #6

I usually use a box cutter on those panels. Set it to the thickness of the panel. Less risk of cutting something behind them. Not much to most of those panels
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
RV-er for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
Awesome suggestions, thank you
Old 08-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #8
RV-er for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I usually use a box cutter on those panels. Set it to the thickness of the panel. Less risk of cutting something behind them. Not much to most of those panels
Yes… they are quite thin. Thank you. Also a good suggestion.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #9

Try to get dimensions inside if there is another entrance and you also mentioned a door, try coming up with your bestidea before you ever make your first cut. You can and probably will have to modify your idea.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #10
RV-er for Life

Absolutely... I will crawl into the storage area from opposite side (there is no door to the storage from camp side) and take measurements and pictures.

My grown son will be there to pull me out if I get stuck

I imagine I will change my mind once DW thinks about options and tells me what she wants
Old 08-17-2022, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRVer View Post
Absolutely... I will crawl into the storage area from opposite side (there is no door to the storage from camp side) and take measurements and pictures.

My grown son will be there to pull me out if I get stuck

I imagine I will change my mind once DW thinks about options and tells me what she wants
Good Luck keep us informed....
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:01 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2
That thin Luan board is easily cut with a couple passes of a good heavy duty, sharp utility knife.
A jigsaw WILL splinter even with tape.
You'll likely need to build something on the back side and rear to hold shelving but that shouldn't be too terribly hard with some odds and ends from one of the big box stores. You probably won't find trim that's "exact" but you'll find something close. Often times a darker color will "accent" the cutout.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:32 PM   #13
RV-er for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2
That thin Luan board is easily cut with a couple passes of a good heavy duty, sharp utility knife.
A jigsaw WILL splinter even with tape.
You'll likely need to build something on the back side and rear to hold shelving but that shouldn't be too terribly hard with some odds and ends from one of the big box stores. You probably won't find trim that's "exact" but you'll find something close. Often times a darker color will "accent" the cutout.
Thank you!

I will keep you all posted… and include some before and after pics too

Tags
panel