Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2022, 08:57 AM   #1

help removing & preventing mold inside TT

I've discovered a light colored mold growing on interior surfaces. What's the best way to remove it and prevent it from returning? I'm thinking of spraying it with white vinegar and wiping it off. Any suggestions?
Old 09-09-2022, 09:07 AM   #2

First solve the issue that is causing it. You may have a leak allowing rainwater to get into the RV. If you are in a high humidity environment then you may just need a dehumidifier.

Sounds like you are on the right track for removal. Once you solve your creation issue i'd suggest treating the interior to a few hours of an ozone generator running.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak480 View Post
First solve the issue that is causing it. You may have a leak allowing rainwater to get into the RV. If you are in a high humidity environment then you may just need a dehumidifier.

Sounds like you are on the right track for removal. Once you solve your creation issue i'd suggest treating the interior to a few hours of an ozone generator running.
Like what was just said, either water getting in or it is locked up tight in the summertime. In the high humidity season if closed up tight, you need a dehumidifier of some type, either mechanical or possibly the absorption type containers.

I know of people in FL who store their expensive 5th wheels with power so that that they can run 24-7 a dehumidifier.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #4

Whilte Mold

Mold grows where there is moisture.

We keep the AC running, or available to run based on thermostat setting, year around. Thus we keep power to our TT 24/7/365. A dehumidifier will have about the same energy consumption as the AC. With a dehumidifier, one has to find a way to dump the water condensation. Empty the catch bucket on the unit or add a hose to the outside.

Test the effects of any chemical, i.e. white vinegar, dilution of bleach, etc before using it. Also, provide adequate protection for the person applying the chemical (vinegar is an acid) and adequate ventilation.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #5

I run my a/c set at 85F when in storage
keeps the humidity down stops some expansion contraction issues with the plastics

High humidity also reduces the life span of any wood-fiber (fake wood) products used inside
Old 09-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #6

I failed to mention that I've had all the windows open and the roof vent fan running to keep air flowing. I know it's been humid but I thought the air flow would help prevent the mold. I've also run the AC from time to time but I guess I'll have to run it more, especially when it's really humid.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Team

You are in a very high humidity area especially this summer. I use a small residential compressor dehumidifier centrally located. I connected a 1/4" hose to the drain port and ran it through the floor under the shower ( hole already exists). I do not recommend the small solid state dehumidifiers as they are useless.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:11 AM   #8

I get mold on the outside .... plenty of air movement there.

less humid areas should be able to just keep windows open..
depends on how far you open them , and if any wind outside
maybe a GOOD LARGER blower fan to push air OUT of a window.

But you have to make sure no water leaks through roof or wall seams.
Do that inspection for sealant regularly
make sure no rain through open widows
Old 09-09-2022, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyR View Post
I've discovered a light colored mold growing on interior surfaces. What's the best way to remove it and prevent it from returning? I'm thinking of spraying it with white vinegar and wiping it off. Any suggestions?
The white vinegar is a good method of taking off mold. It kills 80% of molds and helps prevent regrowth. Just test the surface before you use it.
Mold also likes to grow on the oils left on surfaces, like touching a surface with your hand.

Then get a can or two of DampRid. Works in humid Houston.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #10

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You are in a very high humidity area especially this summer. I use a small residential compressor dehumidifier centrally located. I connected a 1/4" hose to the drain port and ran it through the floor under the shower ( hole already exists). I do not recommend the small solid state dehumidifiers as they are useless.
X2. We have a small (30 pt.) dehumidifier in each trailer. Each is placed in the shower and jiggered so it will run with the tank off. For the one at home, unoccupied in the driveway, we simply leave the gray tank valve open and let it drain on the driveway.

For the one at the resort, we let it run into the gray tank in the summer (when we are using the trailer every week or two. In the winter we connect the 22 gallon sewage tote and open the gray tank valve. (The HDPE tote can withstand a freeze; the ABS piping from tank to valve cannot.) This dehumidifier is on whenever we aren't there. When we are there, the Air Conditioner serves the same purpose and doesn't add heat.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold, vent