Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #1

Help with batteries

I disconnected the battery on my toyhauler to charge it and upon putting it back nothing electrical works. I have four cables to my battery. Two red going to the positve side, black to the negative and a white to the negative. I am thinking the white should be on the positive as it has it's own tail to a frame ground. I was wondering if anyone could give me some troubleshooting pointers and tell me where the white lead should connect to ? 2007 Forest River Sierra Sport toyhauler. Thanks in advance.
John
john wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by john wagner View Post
I disconnected the battery on my toyhauler to charge it and upon putting it back nothing electrical works. I have four cables to my battery. Two red going to the positve side, black to the negative and a white to the negative. I am thinking the white should be on the positive as it has it's own tail to a frame ground. I was wondering if anyone could give me some troubleshooting pointers and tell me where the white lead should connect to ? 2007 Forest River Sierra Sport toyhauler. Thanks in advance.
John
Wow, that's odd.
I have never seen a trailer with 4 leads going to one battery.
Is it set up with 2 battery boxes???
Do all 4 leads disappear under the trailer or do 2 of them go somewhere
else?

White should never go to the +
Red is +
Black and sometimes white are -
donno why you don't have power.
Have you checked fuses??
Are both leads good and tight???
Did you snug the wingnuts slightly with pliers??

That's all I can suggest without more info.

Good Luck!
KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #3

Batteries

I would think that the white wire should stay on the ground connection. If it has a splice that goes to ground and you put it on the positive you would create a major short(not a good thing). If your trailer has a disconnect switch, did you turn it back on after you reconnected the battery?
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #4

Are you sure the battery has a charge? From experience... before you spark chase I would check the obvious a 2nd time.
UMHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #5

Everything is hooked up right. I am going to take it in for warranty work the 14th. Thank you all for the help with this !
Old 04-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #6

I had the same problem with mine last year. Turned out to be the circuit breaker that is mounted on the frame up by the batteries, underneath the trailer.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #7

Thank you !

Okay. I am posting this up because I truly appreciate all of your help. The problem has been solved by me. It was a push/pull switch in the bathroom. I talked to people at Forest River and at our local authorized repair place about a power switch and was told I didn't have one, it was all automatic. I decided to do some wire chasing while out this weekend. I found the switch, pulled on it and heard the familiar beep of my radio coming online. The switch is up under the counter next to the toilet in a corner. Never saw it until that day. I feel like a fool but I am a noob and have only had my trailer for six months.Again, thank you fine folks for helping me out with this.

Tags
battery