Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Help with wheel bearings.

We have a 2012 Springdale Summerland 2670 that we purchased last year from a good friend of mine. He only towed the TT twice a year, to and from the same campground about 100 miles from home. Unfortunately, he never did any maintenance to the wheel bearings, so I think it's long overdue. I plan to repack the bearings and change the grease seals myself, but need to order parts prior to disassembly.

The axle (double axles) was made by AL-KO, which was later acquired by Dexter, I believe. I'm hoping some of you experts can help me with numbers from the axle.
Pertinent numbers, I think, are:

T35AD 85/68.5TM 545ULE W/SW4B

I think each axle is a 3500 pound 5-lug on 4 1/2" hub that uses L4469 outer bearings and L68149 inner bearings with a 10-19 seal, but I'm not sure.

I was also thinking of purchasing new tires for the TT. While they have plenty of tread left on them, they are PowerKing TowMax ST tires. Being newly retired, we're on a self-imposed budget. While I've read that Goodyear Endurance tires are top of the line, I'd like to spend a little less money. Any advice?

Thanks, everyone. I sincerely appreciate the help!

HCA
hca1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #2

Those sound like the same (or similar) axles I have. Honestly, I'm not too much help.with the part numbers. The best source for me and that info has been to look it up on etrailer's website.

As far as tires go.. if you have a Costco near you they carry the Greenball Tire Towmaster SS. I've had a set for the past 3 years and they're great. I had to replace two of them earlier this year because of a bearing failure. I'd buy them again.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #3

Thanks, 007!
The bearing failure is exactly what I’m trying to avoid!

Unfortunately, we do not have a Costco nearby, only Walmart and smaller independent tire stores.

I think I looked at etrailer’s site when I did the Google search, but that’s a good idea. I’ll check again in more depth.
hca1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

The bearings are probably OK, the only part that will definitely have to be replaced is the seal. I recommend removing one hub (lots of good advice on safe jacking procedures on this site) and getting the part number off the seal itself. Dexter seals look like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-010019.../dp/B008OADGH2

This is likely the right seal for the axle you described. I just did my bearings and it was a bit of work, but doable. I highly recommend getting a proper seal puller because the seal was very tight and it's hard to get enough leverage with just a screwdriver. Also be sure to use a compatible grease, if you want to change to a different spec then it's important to remove all traces of old lube so there are no compatibility issues.
Lastly, the factory seals cost a bit more than aftermarket, but are worth it because they are guaranteed to fit properly. Good luck!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #5

Estimated 2800 miles on the trailer? I wouldn't mess with it if it were mine. A boat trailer yes but not a camping trailer with that low miles.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #6

NATIONAL 473336 Grease seal 1.719"x 2.565"
L44610 bearing race
L44649 bearing
L68111 bearing race
L68149 bearing

These numbers should fit your axle if standard 3500 lbs axles. I purchased all from Rockauto a couple years ago. They were absolutely the cheapest for Timken Bearings I found.

I will recommend Maxxis M8008 tires over GY. Just my opinion.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #7

I would try to obtain Timkin bearing and seals that are made in the US. Many Timkin parts are now made in China.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #8

It was a set of " Made in the USA" Timkens that failed on me this summer with about 5k on them.

I don't know how brand-partial I'll be in the future.

The replacements were Timkens.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
As far as tires go.. if you have a Costco near you they carry the Greenball Tire Towmaster SS. I've had a set for the past 3 years and they're great. I had to replace two of them earlier this year because of a bearing failure. I'd buy them again.
Had two of them blow out within 150 miles of each other after 3 years. They used to be great while made in the US and have apparently gone down hill since they moved production to China.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Had two of them blow out within 150 miles of each other after 3 years. They used to be great while made in the US and have apparently gone down hill since they moved production to China.
Weird.. mine are doing fine. Two of the are probably about 3 yrs old.. two of them are only 6-9 months old. I replaced two after the "made in USA" Timken bearings failed.

I'm pretty sure all of them are technically made in China.

The trailer is a few miles away so I can't check for sure but I don't remember seeing anything different about the newer two.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Weird.. mine are doing fine. Two of the are probably about 3 yrs old.. two of them are only 6-9 months old. I replaced two after the "made in USA" Timken bearings failed.

I'm pretty sure all of them are technically made in China.

The trailer is a few miles away so I can't check for sure but I don't remember seeing anything different about the newer two.
I bought some mid 2000s that were made in the US. The ones that blew(made in China) were bought 8 years ago.

It's too bad. I have bought a bunch of those for different trailers over the years that were made in the US that were awesome.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
I bought some mid 2000s that were made in the US. The ones that blew(made in China) were bought 8 years ago.

It's too bad. I have bought a bunch of those for different trailers over the years that were made in the US that were awesome.
Hmm. I'm fanatical about checking tire pressure so maybe that's the key or maybe I'm just lucky. I don't plan on running the older two for more than another year or so.

We've done some significant mileage.. out to the Canyon once and to the upper midwest 4 times now (along with being over the SE US).
Old 12-28-2019, 10:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Hmm. I'm fanatical about checking tire pressure so maybe that's the key or maybe I'm just lucky. I don't plan on running the older two for more than another year or so.
I am too. Never had a blowout on a trailer tire until these 2. This happened on a trip so I replaced all the tires with Maxxis.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #14

Quote:
I am too. Never had a blowout on a trailer tire until these 2. This happened on a trip so I replaced all the tires with Maxxis.
Congrats on the Maxxis tires. Good luck.

The way I figure it.. you keep looking long and hard enough you'll find a horror story for everything. I'm not belittling your experience.. just saying that everything is prone to failure at some point.

Let's keep this between ourselves but the Goodyear Endurance tires can fail as well.. I'm going to bet look long and hard enough you'll find a story. :-)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #15

Look. Here's one in this forum!!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 12-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #16

Not unusual to find the wheel bearings were not adequately packed at the factory, and the trailer manufacturer doesn't touch them -- or warrant them.

Get the wheel bearings cleaned and repacked. Easy enough albeit very greasy to do it yourself. If you find you "didn't need to do this" all is fine and you have a baseline.

-- Chuck
Old 12-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #17

Just packed my bearings trl had about 13k on it . Also replaced tires two weeks earlier. Had one the spare stabbed while in storage then a blowout on way home from trip. This is what I bought. I figured sun or age get them before wear Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	221111
Old 12-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #18
2014 XLR 27HFS

I had a bearing burn up while travelling last month. It was really tough to find the right ones. I ended up taking one of the hubs off and going to a big trailer (not camper) place. They popped off the old ones, read the numbers off them, and had what I needed in stock. It also helps that you have the axle info, but the real numbers they need are stamped on the bearings.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #19

If you are repacking the bearings yourself, just pull one off, then go get the correct seals. Easier than buying some beforehand and taking the chance they aren't the correct ones.
While doing your bearings, it's a good opportunity to check brakes and all suspension parts.
I do my bearings once year. Sometimes it's overkill, but my time is free, grease and seals are cheap, and I never wonder what's going on with my bearings and brakes. I use Lucas Red-N-Tacky. Also, it's rare that you have to replace a bearing. I think I've replaced one on all the RVs I've ever owned.
Go with the Goodyear's or Maxxis M8008 tires. Neither are really more expensive, and tires is the last place you want to cheap out on.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #20

I just bought a spare bearing kit for my 3500 lb axle on sale from etrailer

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bea...r/BK2-100.html

Bearing Kit for #84 Spindle, L44649/L68149 Bearings, 10-19 Double Lip Seal
Item # BK2-100 $12.95 and they where delivered to me in Canada in a week.
Demmerol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, tires, wheel