Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #1

High Tire Pressure

My Rockwood Mini Lite tire pressure calls for 65 PSI which is what I inflated them too. These tires are relatively new. While driving the tire pressure on my TST Monitor goes up to 76 PSI and 100 degrees temp and the alarm goes off with a high pressure warning. I understand that the tire pressure will rise while driving but I'm not sure what is normal.
Piper76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #2

Quote:
While driving the tire pressure on my TST Monitor goes up to 76 PSI and 100 degrees temp and the alarm goes off with a high pressure warning. I understand that the tire pressure will rise while driving but I'm not sure what is normal.
Depending on speed, outside temps, whether the sun is shining on the tire sides... that is normal range...

You should set the TST for a little higher pressure and temp alarm so it does not go off on you in that normal range.

The most critical thing with tires is that no ONE tire goes noticeably outside of the range of the other comparable tires... a warmer or a lower pressure than the average of the other tires is a sign something is going on.

Back before TPMS, you would just go around and feel the tire temp with your hands, both on the sidewall and tread to fell if any one tire was warmer than the others... of course keeping in mind that one side may be in the sun which will raise the temp even further than those in the shade.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #3

Thanks, that’s kind of what I thought.
Piper76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #4

I have seen, somewhere, the recommendation to set the TPMS alarms for 20% high and 10% low. I have mine set for that, 50 psi tires, 60 psi high pressure alarm, and 45 psi low pressure alarm. I have seen them around 58 psi on the highway, but never reached 60.
I left my high temperature alarm at the factory setting of 148 degrees, based on online research. This has been working well for me.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper76 View Post
My Rockwood Mini Lite tire pressure calls for 65 PSI which is what I inflated them too. These tires are relatively new. While driving the tire pressure on my TST Monitor goes up to 76 PSI and 100 degrees temp and the alarm goes off with a high pressure warning. I understand that the tire pressure will rise while driving but I'm not sure what is normal.
I had exact same issue, glad you asked this. I think i changed mine to 80, might go a little higher even when i get to some hot Florida roads.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Always Learning

I wouldn't willy-nilly just start picking values.

TST recommends 20-25% for the high pressure over the cold pressure. Here's a calculator to help pick values:

TPMS Configuration

And then, I don't get too alarmed if all of my tires are tracking similarly. It's when I have 1 tire that's acting up vs. the other 3 or 5 that I start to investigate. Here's an article with information about using your TPMS:

https://learntorv.com/how-to-use-your-tpms/

Tags
pressure, tire