Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

Hot water replacement

Have a 2002 Wildwood TT with Suburban 6 gallon hot water heater with propane heat. Camper set up permanent in campground with 110 v power. Need to replace hot water heater and thinking about going with Suburban propane/electric DE model, but not sure what electrical needs I will need to make to go to an propane/Electric model. Will I need to run a new electrical line, and will an electrical switch inside the camper be required? Figured someone on this forum has already done this and could instruct. Thanks in advance..
olecarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #2

You may already have an electrical outlet installed behind your current water heater. Do you have a breaker on your panel for a water heater?

Bruce
Old 11-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #3

I'll have to check next time we go down to campground. The one we have now does have a electric spark ignitor, but not sure if there is electrical box behind the heater. I don't remember seeing one. There is one behind the frig that is close to the heater.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #4

I don't believe that model comes with a switch on the WH however here is a link to a company that supplies the switches.
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/suburban/...n-gas-electric
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecarman View Post
Have a 2002 Wildwood TT with Suburban 6 gallon hot water heater with propane heat. Camper set up permanent in campground with 110 v power. Need to replace hot water heater and thinking about going with Suburban propane/electric DE model, but not sure what electrical needs I will need to make to go to an propane/Electric model. Will I need to run a new electrical line, and will an electrical switch inside the camper be required? Figured someone on this forum has already done this and could instruct. Thanks in advance..

To utilize an electric element, you will most likely need a separate circuit that can provide 12 amps, as the Suburban heating element is 1440 watts.

1440 watts/120 volts= 12 amps. Most RV pre-wired circuits are for 15 amps, so if you use one already in use for other things, then you may likely trip the circuit breaker when using a heating element..hence it's need for it's own dedicated circuit.

This FAQ actually has wiring schematics for the gas/electric Suburban water heaters that may help you.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Just as confused as you

To see if you have a gas/electric WH open the outside access panel and look for a switch in the lower left corner. Sometimes the switch can be a little difficult to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterheater.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	243830  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban WH Service Manual 05-18-11.pdf (2.78 MB, 22 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecarman View Post
I'll have to check next time we go down to campground. The one we have now does have a electric spark ignitor.
The spark igniter is 12v DC, not 110v AC.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #8

Water Heater

I know my current water heater is not electric. You have to basically light the pilot light then the burner will kick on to heat the water. It does have a 12v ignitor that has never worked right, thus you have to light the pilot light with a little grill lighter. But it's 18 years old and rusty and time to replace. Just trying to decide which Suburban model will make lighting easier and if we could put in a DE model that has electrical too. But it sounds like I would need to run a dedicated electrical line from the circuit panel to the new heater. But the newer model with ignitor has done away with the pilot light issue thus that may be the better way for me to go and just forget the DE model and just use propane. Just trying to make "lighting" the water heater easier for my wife when she goes down by herself sometimes. Be nice to just flip a switch and it lights automatically..
Old 11-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #9

If your RV has a 30 amp panel and you want to add a water heater that includes an electric element, (120 AC), then you might consider creating a separate circuit that would plug directly to the 120 AC outlet on the campsite pedestal. This would mean you would plug up your 30 amp connection as normal, but when you wanted to use the electric side of your water heater you would also plug up the dedicated cord for the water heater to the 110/120 outlet.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, replacement, water