Old 05-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon21 View Post
I'll try that! Actually I did pull on the fabric and it worked. It's still not perfect but nothing with a trailer is.
I had a similar issue when I got my camper. I didn't hit anything but the awning arms would not close correctly. They were just a bit off like yours. The dealer sent a mobile tech to my house to replace a defective microwave and i asked him about it while he was there. He asked if I was able to slide the awning material in the top track where it attaches to the roof. I was able to and he said it should not be able to move. He said there is supposed to be a set screw to hold it in place. Put one in and haven't had that problem in 2 years.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #22

We had the same problem the second time we were out. I just rolled the awning out all the way and gave the opposite arm a push (not really too hard, either) as my wife rolled the awning back in. It has rolled in fine ever since (3 years). Don't know if it just got out of balance because of wind or what, but, giving it a slight shove as it was going in (sort of like the guy said about backing up) did the trick and I would do that again if it got out of kilter before I would do major surgery on it. It only took a minute to roll it out and back in.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
We had the same problem the second time we were out. I just rolled the awning out all the way and gave the opposite arm a push (not really too hard, either) as my wife rolled the awning back in. It has rolled in fine ever since (3 years). Don't know if it just got out of balance because of wind or what, but, giving it a slight shove as it was going in (sort of like the guy said about backing up) did the trick and I would do that again if it got out of kilter before I would do major surgery on it. It only took a minute to roll it out and back in.

Thanks. I will try this. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again!
Wagon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #24

I just fixed this problem on my 211 Georgetown 327DS. The awning isn't attached to the roof but, when installed, is slid into a track that runs along the edge of the roof. When the awning is correctly positioned, FR is supposed to insert a screw at each end of the plastic rod that slides into the groove. To reset it perfectly, do the following:
1. Roll up the awning all the way.
2. Go up on the roof and remove the two sheet metal screws that hold the plastic rod in place on the groove.
3. Tug gently on the end of the awning, at the groove, until the arms are correctly seated. The awning should slide easily in the groove.
4. Reinsert the sheet metal screws in the existing holes. You'll need to push hard on the screws to force them into the plastic rod.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #25

Awning

The dealer left mine out a few inches when I picked it up from service. Strong winds on the way home I think moved it back like yours. They sent out a repairmen to fix it. Before you start trying to push it back in place check to see if there are two screws attaching the material to the top of the trailer. If so, I would take those out as you may have to slide the material also plus you don't want to put undue pressure on it.
Lacrosse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #26
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It looks to me like the arms are bent from hitting the limb.
And while it 'may' have moved the fabric, I'm doubting that is the issue.

You are likely going to need to extend it an inch or so away from the side of the rig.
Hook a ratchet strap around the top of the arm and roller area.
Pull your vehicle close enough along side to where you can attach the strap's other end and gently pull the arms back in alignment with the ratchet strap.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon21 View Post
Attachment 139293Attachment 139294

I am an idiot. Guess I hit a tree limb or something and it tapped my awning bracket. See that it is slightly off track. It closes fine, but would like to figure out how to adjust it so it is back on track.

Appreciate any help!
Many responses seem reasonable to me, but I noticed something in the pictures you posted that became a problem that is irrelevant to your problem for us on our Rockwood. One of the lag screws holding the top bracket in place came loose allowing the bracket to twist resulting in the pop rivets breaking that hold the awning on the camper. We could have ended up traveling down the Interstate with the awning dragging along on the berm of the road--you'll have to imagine that since it never happened.

I looked over a lot of other trailer awnings and noticed that the majority have lag screws installed in both top and bottom holes in the brackets, visited our dealer and had them repair the rivets and install 4 more lag screws in the available holes. I'm assuming the installer was tired the day my trailer was built or only had 4 lag screws in his pouch at the time

In your case, it may also be that the "collision" may have caused somewhat loosened brackets to twist allowing the damage to occur as well.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote