Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems to me OP is asking about a dual tire blowout on his TV. Quote: "How far have you pulled your camper after experiencing a flat to one of your dual tires?".

I don't know of any TT or 5er with dual tires.
Sorry for the confusion. I have two tires on each side rather than a single axle setup.
ChiefV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This is one of those impossible questions.

Every situation is different and can only be made once you are in the situation.
I only go as far as absolutely necessary after a tire failure. But then, I'm prepared to change my own tire, and have done so, many times.
If you have a tire failure and it's only a mile to the next exit, you might make it, you might not. Only you can decide if the circumstances at the time are worth the risk either way.
Absolutely right. Just wondering how far others have pushed their luck to get to a safer place to deal with the problem. Risk a second tire and bigger headache or risk getting hit by a vehicle. Doesn't seem like much of a decision but...
Old 08-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #23

Most of my blowouts were on my Sandpiper 33FKD TT. It was about 10,600# GVWR. They were Carlisle tires, violent explosions and did damage to the trailer, in one case damaging plumbing, wiring and skirting in the wheel well (yes, what a great place to run unprotected plumbing or electrical) and in another case the whirling steel belts taking off the end of my sewer outlet (fortunately after the valve).

One blowout, less violent, was on Monday morning on the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago. I pulled over as far as I could and a highway crew happened by, parked their big dump truck behind me with lights flashing, and helped me change out the tire. What a great advertisement for the city of Chicago. Those guys were great.

But that's not often going to happen.

In one case I had a tire go flat on northbound I-81 in southern Virginia and didn't know it. A truck pulled up next to us and signalled us that we had a trailer issue. I pulled right over and saw the flat. Was able to drive slowly about a mile to an exit and change it out.

I would definitely replace both tires anytime you carried the weight of one side of a dual axle trailer on a single tire.

Now I am smart enough to move up a load range in tires as soon as I buy a new trailer, so I have had no tire issues at all (knock on wood.)

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
Most of my blowouts were on my Sandpiper 33FKD TT. It was about 10,600# GVWR. They were Carlisle tires, violent explosions and did damage to the trailer, in one case damaging plumbing, wiring and skirting in the wheel well (yes, what a great place to run unprotected plumbing or electrical) and in another case the whirling steel belts taking off the end of my sewer outlet (fortunately after the valve).

One blowout, less violent, was on Monday morning on the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago. I pulled over as far as I could and a highway crew happened by, parked their big dump truck behind me with lights flashing, and helped me change out the tire. What a great advertisement for the city of Chicago. Those guys were great.

But that's not often going to happen.

In one case I had a tire go flat on northbound I-81 in southern Virginia and didn't know it. A truck pulled up next to us and signalled us that we had a trailer issue. I pulled right over and saw the flat. Was able to drive slowly about a mile to an exit and change it out.

I would definitely replace both tires anytime you carried the weight of one side of a dual axle trailer on a single tire.

Now I am smart enough to move up a load range in tires as soon as I buy a new trailer, so I have had no tire issues at all (knock on wood.)
Schedules to have the china C rated tires replaced on Tuesday with Maaxis M8008's which are E rated. Definitely the first thing anyone should do to a new rig! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #25

We had a China Bomb blowout on I-77 northwest of Columbia, SC last August during morning rush hour. Luckily there was an exit coming up, so we pulled off and found ourselves in a commercial area. We pulled off the road onto a side access street to assess the damage. With one tire blown, and another not looking good, we knew we were looking at a new set of tires. We looked across the street, and there was a Firestone Truck Service shop.... and it was OPEN!!! Got a new set of tires installed in three hours and off we went. I would say we went about three miles on three tires after the blowout.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Looks like a lot of grease inside that brake assembly.
That's what happens when the bearing gives up the ghost.. there wasn't much left of it besides a few shards of metal.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #27

I had a flat on interstate 22. Quick blowout that threw the tread and I went 300ft, just enough to get over and pull off safely. I had load range D when my trailer could legally have Cs. I was in the weeds changing the tire. My remaining tire was showing really bad cracking so I put my spare on the flat and drove really slow (45 max) with both tires about 40mi until I could swap all 4 to load range E...it was time for new tires.

The next week I was on a two lane highway and picked up a nail and had to go about a mile to a dirt cross road. I just slowed down and pulled on to the crossroad and changed the tire on the road as there was a stop sign before crossing the highway I was on.

The TPMS gave me the warning I needed to find the road and the increased load range helped me get there slowly. I would not do that in the city but middle of KS was fine. Backing back on to the two lane highway was an adventure though...every situation is different.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefV View Post
Looking for real world experience. How far have you pulled your camper after experiencing a flat to one of your dual tires? I know there is a huge amount of variables that go into the outcome of such an event, quality and rating of tire vs camper weight, age and wear, temperature, distance etc. I know you risk the second tire not to mention the thought of the entire side being on the ground. That being said, the notion of a flat on the road side, tight along the side a busy interstate, with an off ramp 1 mile up the road compels me to ask. Its a question of risk management and as such I'd like to have as much information as possible before making such a decision. In my mind the biggest factor may be how much over the load rating are you pushing the tire? Hope I never have to make such a choice but any real world experience you can share will be appreciated. Safe travels everyone...
We had an axle bearing failure resulting in a blowout and the complete loss of one tire on the right rear.

We tried to get a tow truck but none wee available. I used a strap I had to keep the axle tied up so it would not go to the ground and towed it, on that one tire on the right rear for 40 miles. We stayed on secondary roads and traveled no faster than 25 MPH.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #29
PhD, Common Sense

I agree with those who say, “Only far enough to find a safe place to pull off.”

Then I will call roadside assistance. That’s why I pay them annually.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #30

This question is about a tire blow out on the truck? Why ask this question on a trailer forum?

Regardless blowouts are from overloading so I'd not drive far with less tire capacity.

-- Chuck
Old 08-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
This question is about a tire blow out on the truck? Why ask this question on a trailer forum?

Regardless blowouts are from overloading so I'd not drive far with less tire capacity.

-- Chuck
You need to read the thread before you get exasperated. OP is asking about his dual axle trailer, it was just worded differently. See post #21.
And not all blowouts are due to overloading.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
You need to read the thread before you get exasperated. OP is asking about his dual axle trailer, it was just worded differently. See post #21.
And not all blowouts are due to overloading.......

X2, the OP has tandem axles which he referred to as dual wheels, which may have confused members. From a different thread by the OP, they have a Heritage Glen 272 with tandem axles and a F-250 tow vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefV View Post
Have a 2018 Heritage Glen 272 which has a dual wheel setup. Bought a plastic ramp for changing a flat tire, only to discover the axle on the flat sags too much to accommodate the replacement once I have the good tire up on the ramp. My 2017 F250 comes with a small bottle jack and I'm wondering if it would be up to the task of raising the sagging axle enough to allow me to put the replacement tire on. I'm looking at about a 5" rise. Knowing my tongue weight is just north of 1k lbs, I'm guessing my axle weight to be around 1,750lbs if the camper weight is distributed amongst the 4 tires equally. I'm thinking about putting the camper up on the ramp just to see if I can get the bottle jack to raise the other tire off the ground. Anybody have any experience using their vehicle jack? I can get a bottle jack but that's just another item to haul around that I may not need, especially since I'm replacing the tires with quality rubber.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I agree with those who say, “Only far enough to find a safe place to pull off.”

Then I will call roadside assistance. That’s why I pay them annually.
And if you are in an area with no cell service? Like we were

The list of answers ceases to be quite so black and white................
Old 08-24-2020, 04:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

if you are on a interstate still pull over in safe place, then put out your triangle sign behind you open your hood and wait for a cop comes by for assistance. If your on a secondary road do the same but look for a house also knock on the door and explain why you need to use there land line.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:39 AM   #35
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

We have two cell services, so areas with no cell service are rare. However, if that conjunction of events (loss of one tire on the one of two axles, plus the loss of two cell services) does happen, I will flag down another motorist.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #36

If the question is whether or not I would go the additional one mile to the safe turn-out, absolutely. Beyond that question and beyond that turn-out the laws of diminishing returns and chance have a bearing.

If the outside dual is flat I'd be willing to go further than if it's an inside dual based upon the additional leverage that puts on lug nuts and axle. If the road is good ahead for the next xx (two digits, no more) I'd be willing to reduce my speed and go to the next available service center, truck stop, Walmart, etc.

I've followed tractor-trailers for 10's of miles when I could see a flat on their trailer, or in a few cases, even their tractor duals. Once one tire of a dual is flat though, it becomes the sacrificial tire because running it flat makes it much more likely to throw the tread off of the flat tire and makes tire replacement much more likely.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #37

all these should a ,would a, could a answers sound reasonable and are comforting to those espousing them..................

But it is like going into battle, you have a plan and those who have been there know the plan seldom survives the first gunshot!

By this I mean, I hope you never have to activate your plan............because will find the shortcomings very quickly.

There ARE places with NO CELL service and No or very little other vehicle traffic, even right here in S Louisiana...........Maybe not so much in the NE or Midwest but go out to the Western states and it is VERY common!

and if it does happen, Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #38

At one mile or when someone blows their horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I would pull it only far enough to find a safe place to change the tire and only at very slow speeds. If you don't have a TPMS I would suggest getting one. Most RVs probably have tires and axles that are rated for the minimum.
Happened today 1/2 mile from our destination. TPMS on tire and it failed too.
Nest luck was tire place 1/4 mile from destination. This was a sailun tire s37 had only 5000 miles. I must have run over something. Just be prepared which with TPMS system I thought I was. If it can it will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B84520B3-7EEF-483A-A586-E69196D13003.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	237785   Click image for larger version

Name:	98B2A8AA-55E1-438A-A492-EAC4CDE9D83A.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	237786   Click image for larger version

Name:	6920329C-A139-4E4B-A990-18EB648E9A44.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	237787  
Camperpawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #39

One tire hurts the other

We lost a tire in PA on the way to DC. Pulled it far enough to get off the highway m, about 3-4 miles. After changing it, I notice the tire on rear was cupped. And the gap between was less than the other side. We had a lot of trouble finding another trailer tire in stock at local shops. We made it to DC w/o issue. Used a mobile tire service and got 5 new ones. The installer left me one off rim as a just in case due to travel distance back home. So to sum up, yes a safety vest and cones is great, but as a firefighter who has worked In highway traffic, I’d rather drive to get to a safe place if at all possible.
jaja141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:10 PM   #40

Agree with that
Camperpawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire