Old 01-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #1

How full is your gas tank?

When staying in a rv park for long periods of time? TIA

borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Head Rambler

Are you talking about the fuel tank in the TV or RV or are you talking about the LP gas tank/cylinder?

At any rate I like to start off with all the above as full as possible.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #3

Anytime I stay more then 2 weeks or the tank is at a quarter, then I fill just in case we have to leave quickly due to weather or power failure at the camp ground and will need the generator.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Are you talking about the fuel tank in the TV or RV or are you talking about the LP gas tank/cylinder?

At any rate I like to start off with all the above as full as possible.
Engine gas tank. Should have been clearer. Propane tank is full.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
Site Team

OP has a Motorhome.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
OP has a Motorhome.
I looked at their profile but it didn't say, so I didn't know if they had a MH or not. I covered both since motorhomes have both fuel and gas tanks. Pull behind RV's usually have gas cylinders, not tanks
Old 01-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
far north Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismkogan View Post
When staying in a rv park for long periods of time? TIA
what is a 'long period of time'?

what 'engine' or 'fuel tank' are you referring to?

I don't imagine your fuel tank cares how long, or how much...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #8

6 months. My gas engine fuel tank if my FR3.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #9

I have an F150 and pull a TT. I don't have a 100 gallon fuel tank like some MH's but I fill up with fuel just before stopping for the night. You never know what is going to happen with the weather or some widespread emergency. I may have a need to have 300 miles before I need to refill or for some other unknown problem.
I also keep 10 gallons of fuel in the back of my truck for the Champion 2000i generator. I top off my two 20 pound lp tanks as soon as one switches out.
I admit to being a bit of a prepper so that influences my thinking.
We also have enough food on hand to stay comfortable for longer than is really necessary.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I have an F150 and pull a TT. I don't have a 100 gallon fuel tank like some MH's but I fill up with fuel just before stopping for the night. You never know what is going to happen with the weather or some widespread emergency. I may have a need to have 300 miles before I need to refill or for some other unknown problem.
I also keep 10 gallons of fuel in the back of my truck for the Champion 2000i generator. I top off my two 20 pound lp tanks as soon as one switches out.
I admit to being a bit of a prepper so that influences my thinking.
We also have enough food on hand to stay comfortable for longer than is really necessary.
That helps a lot. Makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

If Iím parking for the night, the week or longer, the gas tank of the motorhome is filled up. It supplies the V10 and my generator.

Hereís my reasoning......
1. I like to know when I hit the road in the morning, gas is not something I have to immediately concern myself with. I can get a few hours under my belt first in whatever direction.
2. If thereís a failure of the power grid even in the park, I have enough to run
the generator for whatever I need as the situation unfolds. It has happened a couple of times. I provided power for CPAP machines of others.
3. If thereís ever a natural disaster situation that arises.....severe weather, hurricane, tornado etc, thereíll be a panic situation at the service stations before you can ever start your evacuation. Iím outta there.

Choice is yours.......pay me now (before arrival) or pay me later.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #12

Always start out with full tank.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:18 PM   #13

Depends if starting from the house usually enough to get me 75 plus miles, sometimes itís full. However diesel is .30 to .40 cents higher in town. If at destination and unhooked I might fill up if in town. Other than that depends if traveling where there is long distance between towns or if in area where fuel is every 30- 40 miles.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:08 AM   #14

Depends on if you're moving that MH.

6 months just sitting there with a full tank of gas can be a problem. Gas can start to 'go bad' after 30 days (from what I read) and a fuel stabilizer might be a good preventative measure.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:19 AM   #15

Gas Vs diesel would make a difference. I am by no means an expert but this is what I understand. Happy for additional comments or corrections.

Gas typically has ethanol in it in most locations now a days. This will start to turn fairly quickly (a few months) unless treated with some sort of stabilizer to keep the ethanol from turning. You see this a lot with generators snow blowers boats (when fueled from land stations) and other infrequently used gas engines. Treatments can stop this (stabil) and maintain the fuel for longer. This will keep it from gumming up carburetors and fuel injectors. This is why most generators will tell you to exercise them monthly. There are summer and winter blends here but I don't see this play into issues as much as ethanol does as the blends for gasoline tend to help more with pollutants than anything else from what I understand. You can also purchase ethanol free fuel in marinas and specific areas but it is more expensive. In cities this is typically the case. In rural areas you can find ethanol free fuel easier at the pump though a stabilizer is probably a good idea either way for 6 months.

Diesel is different but also has limits. There is a certain amount of biodiesel in the fuels and there are summer and winter blends that vary the amounts by location and climate. The summer blends tend to gel at freezing if left untreated. This can lead to filter clogging and other injector issues as well as fouling. You can treat this with an Anti-gel that will allow for lower temperatures. If they do gel there are lots of issues in today's engines and treatments like 911 will resolve the gel problem but introduce water so be aware what works in a tractor may not be so good for your RV diesel engine. It also depends on where you fill and what the biodiesel blends are. Changing from low altitudes and high biodiesel contents and taking to colder climates can cause issues as well if dropping below freezing for that blend. If you never drop below the gel point you may never see a problem. I am not sure how biodiesel ages in comparison to an ethanol fuel and I am curious what others have to say here. I have some learning to do on this but my truck does not sit and is my daily driver.

Propane is a whole other issue depending on where you fill and what the mixture with butane is compared to where you want to go. Altitude and temperature both play a role here. I know of no aging issues on propane but that does not mean there are none either. I will swap this one when needed but if going to high altitude lower temp places I may bring an empty or low tank and fill up once at elevation.

I keep mine filled up but empty the carburetor on the generator and other infrequently used systems.

Hope that helps you somewhat. It may not answer 100% but should get you started.
dbledan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #16

I try and always fill it before pulling into a place. That way the next time I hit the road I don't need to make a stop for gas.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank