RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #21

I carry a two foot level and level the trailer side to side the best I can. Which is using spot on or off slightly. Once leveled front to back I toss a bubble level on the floor of the trailer and then on the counter. If all are very close to level - I'm good to go..

I've never had a problem with he fridge due to being slightly off level.

I tend to agree with others that if you feel the trailer isn't level......that could be a problem.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #22

Us "oldtimers" that were camping long before "levelers" became in vogue, operated under the rule that if you were comfortable with the levelness of your rig, then the frig would work fine. Never had any problems with my frig even before the recalls started.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #23

thanks for the forum info- I wasn't sure how level the refrigerator should be either.- I use a 2' level as well on bumper front bay floor--then in doorway and middle of kitchen-I always try for 1/16 to 1/8 th of a bubble. My frige humms now and then to the point of concern, so I wondered if level % caused it. any thoughts?
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #24

ww
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #25

As long as you are not planning on playing pool in your rig, close enough is good. I get it close side to side and before I unhitch I hop inside and see how it feels. I really like these Andersen Hitch levelers: https://www.andersenhitches.com/Prod...r-leveler.aspx I have a big level on the front so just drive until it is level and done. You can always tweak it with the stabilizers.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
My fridge runs fine a little bit out of level, however it drives me nuts trying to sleep even slightly off-level.
If your mattress is shot, you get used to the 'out of level' sleep position.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #27

Another thing to think about with what "level" means is which PART of your camper you need to be level.

I have a 42' rig, and if the middle is level, the rear usually isn't. This is because of torsional twisting of the frame. My side to side level in the middle won't equal the side to side level in the back or the front.

What matters most to me is does the shower and other drains drain correctly and if I feel level when I am sleeping. If so, then I am OK.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #28

I glued on a bubble level on the front of the camper after leveling it in the garage with a carpenter's level. The bubble level I glued on is calibrated in inches. 1 inch out of level corresponds to 1 Linx Leveler orange block under the low wheel. I back into our spot, look at the level, put the correct number of orange Legos under the low wheel, back on to it - and I'm done with side-to-side.

Pull out a carpenter's level and set it on the roof to adjust the tongue jack after disconnecting. Then I pop the roof (hopefully put the level away first, sometimes I haven't), and our A-frame is set up (minus stabs, which only stabilize the camper when I roll over at night).

Fridge works great after I fixed the airflow in the outside compartment. I like simple and stupid.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #29

This is an excellent video about how level the rv fridge needs to be.
https://youtu.be/CiUaNXEAaSQ
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #30

I bought a two pack of these and stuck one on the front and one on the side of the RV to help me level. I did this after making sure the rv was perfectly level in my driveway and then stuck these on so that they showed 0. makes leveling at the camp site a cinch.

My buddy goes low-tech. He partly opens the RV door and raises the nose so the open door neither swings closed nor more open. That seems good enough for him. (I guess I'm just a bit more anal LOL)

Oh, and to the OP... get a set of Anderson cam levelers. No more boards, and you can level much more precisely!! You'll thank me later!
Old 05-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLee View Post
Us "oldtimers" that were camping long before "levelers" became in vogue, operated under the rule that if you were comfortable with the levelness of your rig, then the frig would work fine. Never had any problems with my frig even before the recalls started.
That's what we were told when we bought our first trailer many years ago. We've lived by that rule when camping and have never had a problem.
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #32

I leveled using a 4' level on the floor, and stuck levels on the trailer.

I level to 5/4 board increments, cause it's what I had laying around to cut up.

Someone said 6 degrees is what's required. If a camper is 7.5' wide, that's nearly 9.5" out of level. That would be *super* uncomfortable.....
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #33

I keep my 5er a little low on driver's side just to drain my shower and tanks a hair better. So minimal its barely noticeable.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #34

I just push the auto-level button and walk away. Too damn old to play with boards and worry.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
With regard to the absorption fridge:

Levelness is more important for the fridge side-to-side and less important for the fridge front-to-back due to how the cooling unit lines run. In my camper, the fridge is mounted sideways in relation to the trailer so that means the trailer front-to-back (tongue) levelness is most important.

Also, for the fridge to have issues, the trailer would be pretty unlevel... probably to the point that you wouldn't like it.
There are a couple of points I'd like to make.

When camping, I level front to back as best I can, usually dead on level. I purposely set the side to side slightly uphill for sleeping comfort. By slightly I mean less than a half bubble high. That way when I sleep, my head is always raised slightly. Otherwise I get a head ache. And if the trailer is too far off level, the doors and cabinet doors don't stay open.
All that being said, my fridge works just fine. AND at home, where we park, the TT is on a slope. So I cannot level front to back. Don't have enough length on the tongue jack. I get it as best I can and the fridge works just fine for the 2 days we run it before we take off. I have had 5 trailer now and they all have worked fine being not perfectly level!
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Yep, I think most
I figure as long as you can walk in your rig without falling over, it's good
I was taught, iWhen the frig is too far out of level, you may have trouble walking and it will be very uncomfortable to lay in bed .

In other words, the frig can tolerate more than most of us will tolerate.

That said We always level within half biubble on the round, bubble lenel that sits in the frig floor between the vegetable bins.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #37
Real Nice Clark

When I park the TT, I hop inside and use a full beer, rolled in various directions, on the kitchen counter to check how level I am. Once I'm satisfied I open the beer (slowly) and start camping. I figure eventually the wife will stop being entertained by this process but hasn't happened yet!
mountainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjunkie View Post
When I park the TT, I hop inside and use a full beer, rolled in various directions, on the kitchen counter to check how level I am. Once I'm satisfied I open the beer (slowly) and start camping. I figure eventually the wife will stop being entertained by this process but hasn't happened yet!
That's Alcohol abuse.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #39
Real Nice Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
That's Alcohol abuse.

You didn't read closely. I open the beer, slowly, so as not to waste any before I consume it. I think the beer appreciates the additional responsibility before it meets its end.
mountainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #40
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjunkie View Post
You didn't read closely. I open the beer, slowly, so as not to waste any before I consume it. I think the beer appreciates the additional responsibility before it meets its end.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote