RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #41

What makes the refrige hum or "sing" occasionally?
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeWayne View Post
Usually any Doo-Wop song does it for me

But honestly, I've never heard any of our fridges make a sound. Sorry.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #43
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I've had a couple fridges where the burner for propane seemed 'louder' when burning than others.

Also many refrigerators in slides are coming with inexpensive muffin fans in the outer cavity and they will wake a dead horse.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #44

Quote:
Mine will do that also on rare occasions. No idea why. 1st time I thought something was loose but never found anything inside or out.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #45

Most of leveling is a personal preference, I myself have an app on my phone that is a level, I put it on one of the counters get things close with the outside bubble levels then go to the phone. I have the torsion suspension and I always put boards down so tires don't sink then I have various thicknesses to adjust. On my trailer I have slides only on one side so I try to get the bubble so it touches the line on that side making the slide side a little higher. When the slides go out the bubble seems to be perfect. The biggest thing is you will be more comfortable when it is level especially when sleeping, you don't want to feel like your rolling out of bed lol. I don't think anybody is going to stay in one that is enough out of level to screw with the propane Refrigerator.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I've had a couple fridges where the burner for propane seemed 'louder' when burning than others.

Also many refrigerators in slides are coming with inexpensive muffin fans in the outer cavity and they will wake a dead horse.
Never been able to wake a dead horse (we have that from time to time. I usually drag them out of the pasture, dig a hole, put 'em in and lime 'em....

Seriously though, one of the best mods there is for a slide mounted ammonia fridge is adding an additional external cooling fan or replacing the OEM sleeve bearing fan (cheap/noisy) with a couple Fluid bearing muffin fans available on e-bay every day.

The OEM fans are terrible for noise. Even a conventionally vented (through the roof) ammonia fridge will benefit from forced airflow coming in the bottom access panel and exhausting out the roof vent.

Anytime you augment the airflow, your fridge will perform better.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #47

5 pages addressing the simple task of getting an ammonia fridge level... Amazing

Like I stated in the very beginning, a torpedo level (I always carry one) and a half bubble inclination works every time.

Pretty simple IMO
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #48

I follow the half bubble rule also. Never had a problem.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #49
Prime Member

Since both my slides are on the same side, I prefer to have the camper slightly tilted towards the slides so any rainwater runs away.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #50

+/-3* side to side
+/-6* front to bac
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #51
Usually Confused Member

I got caught in the flood at a campground at the Bristol Nascar race in April. This was a very rapidly rising water situation and the CG brought in tractors to move more than 20 trailers to high ground (and there wasn't much high ground available). Problem was the high ground was on the side of a substantial hill---a very noticeable hill.

When my trailer was repositioned to that hillside the Levelmate showed it to be 14 inches low on the refrigerator side, and that was after getting it up on six inches of board. I assumed the refrigerator would be damaged but I came to see a race and just thought that's what insurance is for.

We were parked in that condition for three days and the refrigerator worked just fine, and still does. The only problem was having to sleep sideways to keep from rolling out of bed.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #52
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I got caught in the flood at a campground at the Bristol Nascar race in April. This was a very rapidly rising water situation and the CG brought in tractors to move more than 20 trailers to high ground (and there wasn't much high ground available). Problem was the high ground was on the side of a substantial hill---a very noticeable hill.

When my trailer was repositioned to that hillside the Levelmate showed it to be 14 inches low on the refrigerator side, and that was after getting it up on six inches of board. I assumed the refrigerator would be damaged but I came to see a race and just thought that's what insurance is for.

We were parked in that condition for three days and the refrigerator worked just fine, and still does. The only problem was having to sleep sideways to keep from rolling out of bed.
Hope you got a heck of a discount....

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #53
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Hope you got a heck of a discount....
Don't expect a discount because of weather. The discount was the CG bringing three big tractors in and helping everyone move to dry ground and not charging a dime to do it. When I was pulled out the water was already over the axles. They could have easily charged everyone $200-$300 each.

And, a campsite less than 100 yards from the speedway entrance for $25 a night is a pretty good deal to start with.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #54

I didn't realize camping at the tack was so cheap, I have wanted to camp at a race but when I checked at Charlotte it was over 100 if I remember correctly

Nights camped 2016 3
Nights camped 2017 46
Nights camped 2018 20
GaryNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #55
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryNc View Post
I didn't realize camping at the tack was so cheap, I have wanted to camp at a race but when I checked at Charlotte it was over 100 if I remember correctly
Earhart CG at the track entrance charges $200 flat fee for up to eight nights. Others charge $150-$250 for dry camping. Full hookup sites in the area run $500 and up a week. But, most of them are way to far from the track or not a very desirable site. Earhart has some nice FHU sites for $500 but they are sold out years in advance. I've been on the waiting list for four years. Oh well, that's why I have a fresh water tank and generator.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #56

I try to get it close but on a level I don't think that even one full bubble off of Center would cause the unit not to work.

MB
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
If a half a piece of plywood makes the low side be the high side, your level is much more "accurate" than mine is and much more than I want/need mine to be.
Yes, exactly. He's saying he's within half an inch of being level and dealing with an 8' wide trailer, that's less than 1/2 degree of level. Darn near perfect.

Another way to think of it... you're talking less than 1/16" drop or rise every foot across your width. You won't possibly notice that in your trailer. I doubt a ping pong ball would roll across the floor with that little slope.
PolarBearCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #58
King of the Road

Submariner friend of mine says at half degree down bubble, you'll be half way (or more) across the Pacific before ya hit the bottom, LOL

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote